What do you think are reasonable checkout instructions?

Answered!
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Sybe_0-1666866522778.png

Hi everyone, 

From the moment a booking is made, clear communication is key to a smooth and pleasant stay for both you and your guests. Checkout instructions are no exception to this.

Each Host will have different requirements, based on the property listed, the amenities offered, their hosting routine, house rules, or whether they charge a cleaning fee or not. You need to decide what checkout time, lockup instructions, and how much as well as what to clean is required of your guests. It can be quite challenging to find the right balance of enough to suit your needs, while not excessive so guests can fulfill your asks easily at the end of their stay.

We’d love to hear what your ask guests to do upon checkout, whether you’ve had to adjust that over your time hosting and any tips you have that might be handy for other Hosts!

Thanks,

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sybe 

I don't ask guests to do anything on check out other than to leave the key and close the front door if I'm not around to say goodbye to them in person. I might mention the guest book, but usually I just leave it to the guests to decide if they want to leave a message. It's right near the door, so they know it's there.

However, I do expect guests to be reasonably clean and tidy during their stay, so there shouldn't be any dirty dishes sitting around in the kitchen anyway. 

I don't expect them to take out trash, or empty the fridge (although  a few do), but then I am a live in host, so every situation is different. I know that other hosts may have good reason to ask guests to do this, i.e. to prevent pests/smells if the host/cleaner can't get to the property straight away.

View Best Answer in original post

71 Replies 71
John6614
Level 2
Birch Bay, WA

I completely agree with those that have only minimal check out instructions. If I were the guest I would not return to a place I had to clean upon check-out. Of course I wouldn't leave the place a disaster either but that's what you sign up for as a host. I have had people stay a week and it looks the same when they checked out as when they arrived. I've also had people stay one night - even just 12 hours or so - and the place looks like a hurricane came through. In the end I feel like it all evens out.

But specifically my instruction read:

- Please turn off the lights or any electrical items

- Close the door

- Don't forget any items you put in the fridge that you want to take with you but you can leave whatveer you don't want in there

We charge a cleaning fee that covers our costs effectively. I think that's mainly because we are booked 85% of the year and host 125+ stays annually so we collect a fair amount in cleaning fees. And once again the guests that are neat and tidy tend to make up for the ones who are....less tidy.

Our philosophy is making things as simple and easy as we can for our guests is always the way to go. As long as our cleaning fees are covering our costs no more/no less then we're doing great.

John-Joleen0
Level 2
Marshfield, WI

We simply ask the guests to load dishes in the dishwasher and start it and to turn the heat/air to 72degrees.  Most of them forget this step. lol.   We charge a $50 cleaning fee.  

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

Please put your used towels in the washer so we know what was used.

It is not necessary to either make nor strip the beds. Please leave bed or beds unmade so we know which bed or beds were slept in.

Please take all bagged trash out to the blue bin in the carport. 

Please leave unwanted food in the frig; Please put food waste (garbage) in provided compost bags and put in the freezer.

Please turn down heat to 62 or turn off AC, make sure oven is completely off, lock doors and ALL WINDOWS, close all curtains, put key back in lockbox and scramble the code when you leave.

we hope you enjoyed your stay. thank you and please leave us a review.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

This sounds clear and easy to follow - do you find your guests are generally good at following your requests @Dawn241?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Kirsten266
Level 10
Heemskerk, Netherlands

When does Airbnb send us the keychain that’s on the picture of the first post? 😄

@Sybe 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kirsten266 

It's not an automatic give away Kirsten, #Airbnblove do have a large range of promotional products some of which I have received over the years for no special reason, just someone in the organisation thought it would be a nice gesture. It could be a birthday, a hosting milestone........

IMG20190415140111 promotions.jpg

I have received a nice wine, biscuits, a carry bag, a Guest comments book, a few pairs of socks, a pair of mugs. For Ade's an my 50th wedding anniversary we received a lovely bunch of flowers and also that Airbnb key chain.

I like to be reminded of my relationship with Airbnb each time I pick up my keys, but I might add, after a couple of years of use it needs a spot of re-enameling!

IMG20221029080042.jpg

Cheers.........Rob

Kirsten266
Level 10
Heemskerk, Netherlands

@Robin4 I know it isn’t an automatic giveaway but I would love to receive it 😉 

I hope Airbnb also ships to Europe 😁

You have received nice stuff!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kirsten266 

Yes, they do ship to Europe as I have have received a couple of things, although the last one (tea towel) never arrived.

It's a nice gesture but, I question the sustainability of sending a tiny key ring by courier all the way from the USA to the UK. That's one heck of a carbon foot print for such a cheap item (it broke after a very short time). I wouldn't mind if they sent it from the London office, but I could see by the package that it had come from across the Atlantic!

Aah now you'll be getting a new one @Robin4 ! 😁 

I have received surprise gifts when posting something under the #airbnbsuperhost on Instagram @Kirsten266 . Norway is Europe 😊 I too have the key ring, a tote bag, a pins and some stickers. Always a nice surprise 😊

A cleaning fee is not a "pass" for a guest to be a pig.  Per AirBNB Terms of Service, guests are to leave the home in the same condition it was in when they checked in. 

I ask my guests to rinse off the dishes and leave them in the sink. The rinsing is to prevent ants from coming to dinner.  I also ask guests to bag their trash and put it in the trash can next to the front door. I provide the bag and again, this is to prevent ants and mice from showing up. I expect them to close windows and lock my door.

I don't ask guests to strip the beds. I do not expect a guest to mop floors, vacuum, do laundry, but I DO expect them to clean up after themselves.  If they spill something, wipe it up or vacuum it up. Don't just leave it.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bubba-Lee0 

I agree with you that guests should not leave the place a tip. I don't understand people who would spill something and not wipe it up.

However, 'leaving the home in the same condition it was in when they checked in' is a totally unrealistic expectation. Unless they are also hosts themselves, guests do not have the slightest clue how much work diligent hosts put into getting a listing ready to that standard. A typical turnover for me is the type of cleaning most people would do only occasionally in their own homes and would probably consider 'spring cleaning' or a 'deep clean'. 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Sybe @Jenny  I do the same as @Robyn4 I don't leave a check out list as i greet my guests when they pick up the key and most knock on the door to say they are leaving and do I want to check. I always say "No" everything will be okay.

I do have a sign in a picture frame in the kitchen which says   "Please enjoy the kitchen and we would appreciate that you leave it as you found it. Please enjoy your stay. Laurelle and Alex".

As previously stated I prefer to strip the beds and wash for a white load and the towels separate.

I find that we live onsite meet the guests and most times see them depart we don't have any issue with cleaning the cottage. 

We also have a rule that the cottage won't be let if we are not here, as money isn't everything. I believe in harmony.

I do find it a bit rich for hosts who charge a cleaning fee and then leave a list of things to do before leaving. This is where negative views are being made in the media about Airbnb and what they charge.   

Yui-Hei0
Level 3
Honolulu, HI

We ask guests to leave a review on our Airbnb profile. This helps us know what we need to improve on, and it also helps our listing.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Nice and simple, @Yui-Hei0! It's great that you proactively look for reviews to make sure you're hearing the opinion of your guests!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sybe,

We ask guests to clean up after themselves, but have learned that it's necessary to give them a checklist, because they have their own definition of what that means.

This is an example of what we ask of our apartment guests (the list differs slightly based upon the rental space amenities).

- Throw away all of your rubbish and used garbage bags in the external trash bin, including cooked food, open and unused food and open toiletries. Please leave enough space for the other guests to dispose of their trash, also.

- Pour out beverages and liquids from open containers and the coffee makers/tea kettle, and dispose of bottles and cartons in the trash bin.

- Clean your dirty dishes, and leave them in the dishrack or dishwasher.

- Sweep/pick up or vacuum any dropped food or other items, and wipe/mop up any spills.

- Leave the linen on the bed.

- Place all used bath towels on the bathroom hooks or towel racks, and leave the bathmats on the bathroom floor. Do not leave wet towels in the hamper or the washer.

- Leave the washing machine door ajar or open.

- Turn off: TVs, AC/heater, lights (unless labeled do not turn off), ceiling fans, bathroom vents, stove, range hood, coffee makers, kettle, grinder, frother, washer, dryer, iron, and vacuum.

- Make sure there is no water running in the tub/shower, bathroom sinks, toilet, kitchen sink, refrigerator, laundry sink, and outdoor faucet.

- Make sure that the refrigerator and freezer doors are fully shut.

- Place TV and Roku remotes on the TV stand in living room, and dressers in the bedrooms.

- If removed, replace the covers onto the outdoor furniture.

- Leave the remote garage door opener on the kitchen counter.

- Double check to make sure that you don't leave behind any personal belongs, and that you've signed out of any apps on the TVs and Roku devices.

- Lock the front door, door to the deck, door to the garage, and the garage door.

- Let us know if there were any damages or items lost during your stay.