What do you think are reasonable checkout instructions?

Answered!
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Sybe_0-1666866522778.png

Hi everyone, 

From the moment a booking is made, clear communication is key to a smooth and pleasant stay for both you and your guests. Checkout instructions are no exception to this.

Each Host will have different requirements, based on the property listed, the amenities offered, their hosting routine, house rules, or whether they charge a cleaning fee or not. You need to decide what checkout time, lockup instructions, and how much as well as what to clean is required of your guests. It can be quite challenging to find the right balance of enough to suit your needs, while not excessive so guests can fulfill your asks easily at the end of their stay.

We’d love to hear what your ask guests to do upon checkout, whether you’ve had to adjust that over your time hosting and any tips you have that might be handy for other Hosts!

Thanks,

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sybe 

I don't ask guests to do anything on check out other than to leave the key and close the front door if I'm not around to say goodbye to them in person. I might mention the guest book, but usually I just leave it to the guests to decide if they want to leave a message. It's right near the door, so they know it's there.

However, I do expect guests to be reasonably clean and tidy during their stay, so there shouldn't be any dirty dishes sitting around in the kitchen anyway. 

I don't expect them to take out trash, or empty the fridge (although  a few do), but then I am a live in host, so every situation is different. I know that other hosts may have good reason to ask guests to do this, i.e. to prevent pests/smells if the host/cleaner can't get to the property straight away.

View Best Answer in original post

71 Replies 71
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sybe 

My checkout instructions are for guests to simply enjoy their stay and leave. I don't want them cleaning up, that's what they are paying a cleaning fee for. All I want them to do is leave the key in the door and take what ever they brought with them when they leave!

I am rather cross about hosts that charge a $150 cleaning fee and expect guests to remove all evidence of the fact they might have been there and stayed! To me this is back door fraud!

My check out instructions are quite clear.....Hope you enjoyed your stay, with a bit of luck we will get the opportunity to do it again some day!

Cheers........Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for sharing how you manage check out instructions for your guests. 

Here are my checkout instructions:

1. Clean the kitchen as you would after a meal. Clean counters, wash dishes and pans (you can leave clean dishes to dry in the dish rack.)

2. As in basic good housekeeping, put trash in trash baskets located throughout apartment.

3. If you would like, please sign the guest book. Share any places or experiences you especially would recommend.

4. Place keys on kitchen table. No need to lock up as you leave.

I do not want to have to clean up a kitchen after guests cook a meal-such as cleaning dirty pots and pans, stovetopwiping the stovetop, etc. I don't feel that is unreasonable, given the modest cleaning fee I charge. I do expect guest to follow basic good housekeeping-if trash is overflowing, take it to garbage, if something is spilled, clean it up. That sort of thing.

I'm fairly new host, and just now beginning to keep track of the time I spend preparing apartment for next guest. I think it takes an average of 2 hours to thoroughly clean and prepare for the next guest.  It does depend at least somewhat on the length of stay.  My current cleaning fee is $55. 

As I post this, I do feel a need to change my "no need to lock up" to, lock up and put keys in dropbox.

Amelia 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

I love the guestbook idea @Amelia334 - do many guests take the time to fill it in?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi everyone.   We have gone back and forth with this one.   I put in my instructions a suggestion to  start a load of laundry, put put the garbage on the porch. And put the sheets and towels in the corner of the bedroom and bathroom. But, I also state very clearly only if you have time to do so. And of course it is not a requirement. I state that this would help my cleaning technician immensely but if you were in a hurry don’t worry.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is a lovely compromise @Caroline2213 - do the majority of your guests follow the instructions or leave things to be done by your cleaning technician?

-----

@Robin4   That's easier for you because you host only a guest suite that doesn't have a kitchen and have a maximum of 3 guests.  People who have properties that are whole houses with full kitchens and much higher guest counts are going to have a higher potential for messes.

I stick by my belief that if a person isn't willing to wash their own dishes and dispose of their trash they belong in a hotel not an Airbnb.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mark116 

Yeah I accept that Mark but, as I said in another post when I walk into that cottage I don't want to second guess what the guest might have done or not done.....or half done.

And I think regardless of what is offered in any listing the same theory applies whether it's a full kitchen or a kitchenette. I want it to be clean to my standard, not the guests.

You would not believe the effort I go to here in this old building to make it look clean.

In this shot, look at the bathroom floor grouting.......

IMG20221027085008 2.jpg 

Every 5 or 6 guests I get the paintbrush out and repaint those grouting joints in the bathroom white! I know that sounds stupid but, I don't just want it to be clean Mark, I want it to be seen to be clean. You will never find so much as a fingerprint in my cottage let alone that cardinal sin.....an unattached black hair! 

To some people, old means dirty and there is nothing I can do about that, but that is why I want the glasses, cutlery to sparkle, the bed linens to have the creases ironed in them, not a trace of a stain anywhere. 

I have to work just as hard as someone who is offering a full size property because I still get that odd poor rating for cleanliness simply because it's an old property!

And if I depend on guests for the required level of clean, I will be let down!

Maybe there is another aspect to this Mark, I am 78, I am at an age where society says I have outlived my usefulness, I should not make a nuisance of myself, I should hide myself away in a comfy chair in God's waiting room until my time comes and I can tip-toe safely to death! Bugger that, I am cycling 30Kms a day and I am putting as much effort into life as I can and by offering a facility that almost every guest gives me a glowing report card on.....it makes me feel useful and, a worthwhile human being! 

Cheers........Rob 

I agree with Robin,  we charge $125 cleaning fee,  so that fee covers the cleaning.  I leave them a note about when check out time is and not to worry about cleaning up, just  please lock the door behind them and message me if they can when they leave.  

Caroline2203
Level 2
Grand Haven, MI

My instructions are to clean up after yourself. Take trash out of the cottage and put it in the outside trash bin. If they can start a load of laundry that would help.  They are asked to sweep/vacuum, remove everything they they brought in out of the cabin. That includes emptying the refrigerator. If they got it out put it back. If they moved something return it.  

@Caroline2203  aren't you going to vacuum as part of the clean? why ask the guest to do that? That would annoy me. 

I’m pet friendly so I want them to vacuum. Then housekeeping will do another vacuum to make sure we are getting the pet hair up.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you have a vacuum that's made for pet hair, @Caroline2203? Or do you find that having both your guest and housekeeping go over things is enough to catch everything?  I can imagine some dogs might leave a bit of shedding!

-----

Having both vacuum helps.  When housekeeping goes in she does a deeper vacuum by moving furniture and also vacuum furniture.  Remember I don’t charge a fee.  I do offer a cleaning fee if they don’t want to clean up after themselves. 99% chose to clean up after themselves.

Patti120
Level 5
California, United States

@Jenny, @Caroline2203, I used a SEBO Hepa vacuum. Works great and gets all the dander and dust too. 

Cheers,

Patti