What does it mean when a potential guest has 9 reviews but is recommended by 6 hosts?

Heather272
Level 2
Cottonwood Heights, UT

What does it mean when a potential guest has 9 reviews but is recommended by 6 hosts?

A booking request came through that I would have expected to just instant book. I dug into it more, and I think it's because I have the "only recommended guests can instant book" feature turned on. In the booking request, I see at the bottom of his message he has 9 reviews and 6 host recommendations. Does that mean only 6 of his hosts recommend him? All 9 of his reviews seem to be good when reading through them, so I'm not sure whether or not I should approve his booking request. If 1/3 of his past hosts wouldn't recommend him, I don't want to approve it. It is confusing because his 9 reviews appear to be good, but then it also says 6 hosts recommend him (which is only 2/3 of his reviews).

Thanks!

20 Replies 20
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

6 hosts gave thumbs up, 3 - thumbs down, @Heather272

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

When you dig down into his star ratings by category, what do you see? Maybe there is a better explanation for why it appears 3 hosts gave him thumbs down. For example, maybe his cleanliness rating is 2 stars or something like that. If it were just 1 host that gave thumbs down i would probably  ignore it because hosts can be as flawed as guests. But here where 3 gave thumbs down i would not accept him in my place.

Do you know how I can view his star ratings by category? I'm not sure how to find those.

@Allison116 Do you know where I can find that additional info about his ratings? I haven't seen that before and haven't been able to find it myself as I've been looking around for it on his profile.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Heather272, here is a possibility. I know it has happened with guests of mine. They may have 9 reviews, but three of them are because they were part of a group booked by someone else. Look at the reviews themselves and see whether it says underneath "this review was for a group trip booked by XX". 

He does have 1 review for a trip that was booked for someone else. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Heather272 call CS -- they can look thru all reviews (including the Private 'things you want to tell ABB' section) and tell you if this guest has had problems.

Did his booking message seem appropriate/attentive?

I did actually call CS, the rep I talked to had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't find any additional information about it for me. 😕

Now that is frustrating, @Heather272. What have you decided to do?

@Lawrene0 I decided to approve him because his 9 reviews are all positive. There may be something else going on here I'm missing. If he ends up booking, I'll let you know what happens! 🙂

Thanks for the update, @Heather272. I would have done the same. Hope all goes well, and if the poor man is innocent of thumbs-down reviews, that his account gets fixed. 

@Lawrene0 He didn't end up booking, I'm guessing because it took me a while to decide whether or not to pre-approve him. 

Thanks for the update, @Heather272. Always good to know the (happy) ending. This non-booking is likely for the best. 

Betsy13
Level 5
Houston, TX

Has anyone had a similar issue to this?  I just had an inquiry from a woman who has 12 reviews, but only 9 hosts recommend her.  Also, even though my listing clearly states that no events are allowed, she's asking if she can host a wedding at my house.  My answer on the event is no way (I've learned the hard way, unfortunately).  But I'm not sure what I should respond about the booking inquiry in general.  I'd feel a lot better if she had 12 out of 12 hosts recommending her (instead of 9), but I don't know if that's being unfair?