What does "lock on door" actually mean?

Lindsay58
Level 1
Webb City, MO

What does "lock on door" actually mean?

As a host in the us, I have always assumed this meant a lock that could be locked from the inside or the outside, but I'm traveling now and my host in Florence, who definitely had "lock on door" as a feature on his private room, had a door that only locked from the outside (ie when I was away, but not overnight when I was inside). As a solo traveler and a host I really need to know if the standard is locking both directions or if when a host indicates there's a lock, I may still not be able to secure my room overnight. I barely slept at all on that leg of my trip so do not want to repeat! 

6 Replies 6
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I don't know the answer about the locking standards, @Lindsay58 - my lock locks both ways - but for your own safety and good night's sleep, get one of those wedge things for travelling. Google 'travelling door stop'.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Probably varies, I take it as both sides, well that is what I provide.

David
Ken28
Level 10
Newburgh, IN

In my books, there are a two general types of locks:

Keyed Lock: can be locked and unlocked from the outside with a key, or the inside without a key. (This would include deadbolts)

Privacy Lock: Can only be locked and unlocked from the inside. These usually have a standardized 'key' to unlock them through a small hole, in case of emergency. They aren't designed to keep anyone secure - only prevent someone from entering accidentally while occupied. Like a bathroom, or bedroom.

I use Privacy Locks.

I had a guest request that I add Keyed locks. I declined that request, explaining that keyed locks give the false impression that the rooms can be used to store valuables. (If they have valuables, it is their responsibility to secure them, not mine.) Also, if they lose their key, how will you recover the room? Thus a spare key would be essential. But knowing that I would have a spare key, the guest gains no added security over the privacy lock.

(An exception to this rule is if you have multiple rooms/guests... then you may benefit from giving each a key to their own room, but they should also understand that you also have copies of those keys. So other guests can't access their room, but you can.)

Oh, and the 'Lock on Door' feature that you're referring to --  I also would assume that it means a keyed lock or privacy lock. Both are, indeed locks.

But the lock only locked from the OUTSIDE? Was there a manual locking mechanism inside the room, and a key outside?

Omg I feel same way!! Yes this Airbnb but this is my home I’m sharing with you...no key locks PERIOD!

@Lindsay58

If the listing is a private room in the host's home, I would assume it's a privacy lock - can be locked from the inside only. Most homes I lived in did not have doors that can be locked from the outside. 

I tend to agree with @Ken28 that being able to lock the room from the outside gives a false sense of safety and security, but if there are multiple guests in the same home at the same time then I agree that being able to lock the door from the outside would be necessary.

Deborah350
Level 7
Grafton, Australia

simple - travel with a small door wedge!