What happened to the Government ID check?

What happened to the Government ID check?

Until recently, when a guest tried to book with us we would see a check mark indicating that the guest submitted a government ID for review.  That no longer seems to be there.  While I do see a check mark next to the word Identity, I don't really know what that means.  Did the guest just provide a telephone number?  Did they just verify an eMail address and that's all they had to do to verify their identity?  Here is a picture of someone's profile that turned out to be a scammer / squatter.  

Capture 2.PNG

Now, here is a screen shot of my own profile where I did submit a Government ID.

Capture.PNG

So, what's the difference?

Can someone please explain what AirBnB just did to the security checks?

Thanks,

Jason

6 Replies 6
Calvin92
Level 2
Gulfport, MS

I just messaged support the exact same question two days ago. No reply yet. Also, I have had several guests whose profile pics were of kids, a car and their pets.  

@Jason1553 @Calvin92 

Information about what it means when Airbnb says "verified ID" can be found at the Help Center. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1237/how-does-it-work-when-airbnb-verifies-your-identity

캡처.JPG

My understanding of *security checks* by Airbnb is that they aren't anything close to what one would consider a real security check. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

From my experience, "Identity Verified" does not necessarily mean "Government ID." It means that a third party has said you are who you say you are. My sister's profile is verified and all she had to do was log in with Facebook.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 8.53.55 AM.png

However, most of if not all of my guest seem to have uploaded their government ID and I believe it is because I have this box checked: https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/requirements

I know this because many new users get unhung up in the process. Others have asked me if I successfully got their ID. I also use Instant Book and have the requirement checked that all guests must submit a government-issued ID. (One of IB greatest perks)

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 9.01.08 AM.png

I sure felt a lot better when I saw a marker that clearly indicated that a guest had submitted a government ID.  Knowing that someone can be verified by signing in with a facebook account?  What?  I think there is basically one of two outcomes

1)  AirBnB undo's this change to their website.  They should return to clearly marking which guests have submitted a government ID.

2)  I wont book guests that don't already have a number of positive reviews from other hosts.

I found a good picture on the internet of how it used to look.  They should just go back to doing this.

Capture.PNG

I totally agree. Make it safe for host. Make a check off box for the guest or a drop down menu.

Also, make it mandatory for all guests full names be listed, as well as their ID.

Tyrus1
Level 2
Macon, GA

Yes I had a child check in yesterday his profile didn’t match the description he had on a hoodie so I couldn’t really see him.  I felt it was a scammer I should have check his ID to make sure the names match  but I expected Airbnb to do that and to check his age .So glad I have a Doorbell Ring ,and I told him this was an attorney loft but he has both my keys and he hasn’t came back to my residence per my doorbell camera I’m so tired of this Airbnb has to do better with these scammers in check like a live face recognition or something that will prevent fake profiles from going up .I did scare the crap out of him with all my fees and “attorney statement “