What happens if a guest gets robbed whilst staying at your home?

Enzo6
Level 2
Bulawayo, Zimbabwe

What happens if a guest gets robbed whilst staying at your home?

Are we liable? Do we have to carry extra insurance? What about accidents? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

32 Replies 32
Pamela882
Level 1
Mata'ura, French Polynesia

I've been robbed of all my money out of my wallet, everything else was still there, and as I usually sleep in train stations and airports this should be "to be expected" but that was all the money that I had, why do people think I'm "rich" or something, I'm "black" for God's sake!! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Were you robbed while staying at an Airbnb @Pamela882 ?

what help are you looking for from this forum @Pamela882 

very puzzled about your comment about uour skin colour in relation to being robbed. 

Angela2866
Level 1
Orlando, FL

Airbnb really does nothing. Someone came into our airbnb in Rome and robbed us, took about $1,500 worth of stuff before my husband chased him off. I filed all the proper stuff, got sent to airbnb claims. They refunded me a portion of my stay but says my stolen items aren't covered. Airbnb should be ashamed of how they treat their robbed guests. 

We were coming back to our Airbnb and walked in on it being robbed in Nashville. The robbers shot off gun fired and stole $2,400 worth of our stuff; including our car keys! 
airbnb has been nothing but rude and unhelpful! We are the victims here and I feel I have been just bounced around from “departments” and no one can give me answers to my very simple questions! Will Airbnb refund my stay? And who is liable for our property that was stole? Host? Airbnb? 
Not only was it the scariest  time in our lives but I so disappointed how Airbnb is not handling  this situation. They haven’t provided any information to the local Nashville Detective either! I will NEVER stay in a Airbnb and will warn everyone I can to not to use them as well!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry you had this awful experience @Heather1538 

glad you have already made a police report

hopefully you've put in a claim for your costs through your travel insurance 

airbnb will refund the rest of the cost of your stay - presumably you've already spoken to the host to put arrangements in place for this to happen

what information do you want Airbnb to provide to the police ? 

Doesn’t Airbnb or the host have insurance  to cover our losses?

@Heather1538 

I’m glad to read that you and your family are safe.

Unfortunately, Airbnb does not have insurance to cover your losses.

neither the host.

You have to claim to your own personal travel, home &/or car insurance.

Annie
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No as mentioned in my earlier post - you should make a claim on your travel insurance to cover your losses/costs @Heather1538 

5A66B26B-0341-4623-A406-E48583DB43D6.jpegYes, we’ve spoken to the host and they did refund their portion of our stay but Airbnb have not refunded the rest of the $700 of their portion. 
Im not the police/ detective but he has stated he has tried to reach out several times with no response. 
This happened at one of you locations and I feel that you should help make it right.

I have already received the host’s portion of the stay.
How can I get confirmation that Airbnb will refund their portion? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You need to contact them. We are a forum of hosts and guests not Airbnb @Heather1538 

We were robbed Labor Day weekend in Nashville as well. Our host is being awful and is still trying to charge us 1860.62 for one night if hell. We had two neighboring townhomes and one was robbed while we were right next door. The host was shady and couldn't tell me how the townhome was accessed. Of course now he's saying the cameras didn't work and can't explain how our rental car was stolen from inside the garage either . I'm getting the run around from the resolution center . 

@Crystal476 even if Airbnb support was capable (they are not) there is little they could do in this situation. Your only recourse is the police whom I fear will take little interest other than to give you a crime number that can be used with your insurance company.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Heather1538 

I'm so sorry to hear about what's happened.

Have you made contact with Airbnb Support as mentioned by @Helen3?

Please let us know about any updates.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yes, but for two weeks the bounced me around from departments and now no one has reached out. Again, I will never go through Airbnb if this is how they conduct their business.