What happens if a guest won’t leave?

What happens if a guest won’t leave?

Hello all, long time first time, 

need a little advice. 

I have a small cottage I rent that may have developed into a huge problem. 

Was offered a booking for a medium stay, off a newbie to the community. Believing in not judging a book by its cover and perhaps being one of those give people-a-chance humans, (hey we all had no reviews once)

Well two weeks into the booking I am contacted about a blocked Pipe, 

so up I go to fix it. And I find a massive wad of tissues in there, innocent mistake but the tip of the iceberg. The house is basically just being trashed (he is spray painting on the deck) place reeks of drugs and cigarettes, he booked it for friends but has moved him and his family in and to top it off he snaps when I try to check the gas for him and he slams the door in my face and starts screaming get off the property. 

Yeah turns out he lied about everything on his profile, and his reasons for the booking. 

So as you know you get a case manager at Airbnb, and they negotiate him leaving tomorrow. 

Initially he was demanding a full refund, but seems to be placated now by just a partial.

I wasn’t comfortable speaking to this bloke, (don’t fancy being stabbed) and Airbnb have now found him another place within the community (THE DUMBEST IDEA EVER) 

if you don’t want to be stabbed. This guest was unhinged. I was scared. 

I spoke to the police, but that pretty much said, un less the house is burning or someone has been hurt. Not much they can do. 

So the questions,  What should I do if he does not depart? 

I am still a little in shock you kinda assume that Airbnb was going to have my back here, very wrong, that there might be some one who can really act, to prevent this violent nutter from wreaking More havoc.

Also Is there a department I can speak too about pulling the listing? And cancelling all bookings, at the moment I am just not feeling safe any more. 

8 Replies 8
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

If he doesn't leave you will need to talk with Airbnb again. Hopefully, he will. In your position I would be willing to offer a complete refund to get rid of him. Please leave an accurate review.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Hugh52

so sorry you dealing with this but do not give up on your other bookings! If he is supposed to leave tomorrow, just reassess then. If Airbnb has changed his reservation, any stay after tomorrow is trespassing

Ida2120
Level 2
Canastota, NY

I'm also wondering what action takes place if a guest won't leave. We are concerned esp with renting and evictions not being allowed in NY what would course of action be if a long term guest won't leave 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Ida2120 

You would need to check what the laws are in NYC regarding this situation. All Airbnb can do as the listing company is to ban a guest and cancel their booking.

The best way you can minimise the risk of this is not to take longer term bookings and vet your guests carefully.

Your guest is not renting in the traditional sense of the world and does not have legal tenancy protections. I believe in NYC that happens when a stay is 30 days?

In the UK if a guest doesn't have a booking you can ask them to leave immediately. Personally if I was in that situation, I would hire security people to come to the premises to ensure the guest leaves.

Marilyn432
Level 2
Ballston Lake, NY

In our area this summer, a guest refused to leave after his 1 week paid stay. Subsequent guests could not stay/had to be cancelled at the last minute because the squatter was still occupying the vacation rental property. He told the homeowner that this is how he earns a living: by squatting in a vacation home until the hosts paid the “ransom”. He set the ransom at $20,000. He would not move out until the host paid him $20,000. Eventually the host paid the squatter $20,000 and the squatter moved out. 
Does Airbnb protect us from this kind of exploitation? How can we avoid this from happening to us? Do we need to have each guest sign a separate contract stating that they will vacate the premises on the agreed upon date?

@Marilyn432 Sorry, but this story sounds highly suspicious. Someone who has a one week booking and refuses to leave is trespassing and can be removed by the police or local sherrif. The only way a squatter can get away with squatting is if they have stayed a month and thereby acquired tenant status.

That a host paid a scammer $20,000 is not believable unless the host is an idiot.

@Marilyn432 Sorry, but this story sounds highly suspicious. Someone who has a one week booking and refuses to leave is trespassing and can be removed by the police or local sherrif. The only way a squatter can get away with squatting is if they have stayed a month and thereby acquired tenant status.

That a host paid a squatter scammer with a 1 week booking $20,000 is not believable unless the host is an clueless idiot.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Ida2120 @Sarah977 

Any host who pays anything to get rid of a squatter is a fool.

There are many better ways to get rid of them.