What happens when you flag a user?

Jeffrey6
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

What happens when you flag a user?

I have a new airbnb user that inquired about my property (her account was created in February). She started with a very nice introduction and asked for my property's address because she would like to get a better idea of the distance to nearby attractions. At first, her intro message seemed very real and authentic. I felt fine including the address in my reply to her. I unfortunately didn't look at the user's verifications before replying, and the user only has an email verification. The picture can obviously be anyone. After revisiting her inquiry, it now seems like it could be totally made up.

She hasn't replied to my response. I'm really starting to regret that I shared the address. The house has security, but it is fairly secluded. I am beginning to wonder if the person is a legit user or not.

I'd like to know what happens when you flag a user. Does Airbnb report to the user that he/she has been flagged? If this person is legit then I don't want her to know she has been flagged. She might be able to determine that I did it if I've been her only inquiry and she might think Airbnb isn't a great experience because of it. However, if Airbnb doesn't report the flag action to the user, then I'll flag the user and hopefully it will help me feel less bad about having shared the exact location of a secluded house with a total stranger.

12 Replies 12
Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jeffrey6 I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your listing page on airbnb shows the general location anyway. You might want to message the person back and just say you'd really appreciate a response because you gave out your address and you're now feeling a little uncomfortable. Ask if they've chosen another listing. You never know, could just be that they decided on another place and didn't feel obligated to continue the conversation with you. Best of luck.

---

Did my answer help? Please give me some feedback on my listing: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/9285982/

Amanda66
Level 2
Hope under Dinmore, United Kingdom

I have just flagged a user because I think it might be a scam... what happens next?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Amanda66,

Great to meet you. Once you have flagged a user via the 'Report this user' button, this goes through to a specific team within Airbnb who will look into it further. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I've flagged a few people and I don't ever hear back from airbnb, I think it goes no where but just doesn't allow them to contact you again. 

Scott231
Level 1
Sarasota, FL

As a host, I pre-approved a legitimate-sounding guest inquiry this morning without really looking at his profile (member for 3 years but no reviews and little personal info). The prospective guest immediately sent a message asking to talk on the phone. I politely declined, stating airbnb policy, and said I'd be happy to answer any questions. He didn't respond to what I said in my message but instead sent his number (which was blocked), immediately followed by another message asking if I got his number. I again politely declined, and gave some info about where I live that might be helpful. He didn't respond to anything I said in that or 2 subsequent messages, but persisted in wanting to talk on the phone. Ignoring everything I'd said, he finally asked, "You don't want to talk to me on the phone?"

By now I was quite uncomfortable and no longer interested in having him as a guest. Not wanting to engage in any more useless (and possibly retaliatory on his part) communication, I clicked the flag next to his message, not knowing what would happen. A pop-up box appeared asking why I flagged the message. The first 3 choices didn't apply so I clicked "Other Reason." A new box asked if I wanted to block the member. I clicked "Yes." A message popped up saying that he won't be able to book or contact me again. That was exactly what I wanted! Emboldened by my success, I went to his profile and clicked next to the flag where it says, "Report user." That pop-up box included the reason, "Attempt to contact outside Airbnb." (I think that was the wording.) I clicked on that button. A message popped up thanking me for reporting the user, adding that it helps the community. Awesome!

Anyway, that's what happens both when you flag a message as well as when you flag a user.

I had a host that insisted upon contacting me by phone.

I didn't know I should have flagged her for it.  But I should have and not gone there.

I went anyway and now everything is wrong.

I use the phone app and it's hard to locate what you need and I don't get as much detail as I would on the website. 

Maybe the app has been part of my problem and should go.

@Alice996  There's nothing inherently wrong with a host or guest contacting each other by phone. That's why phone numbers are visible to hosts and guests once a reservation is confirmed.

There are some times when it is warranted. For instance, I ask my guests to phone or text me when they arrive in town, as almost all of them arrive by bus and I go to pick them up at the bus station. Sometimes guests are elderly and have trouble with modern tech and feel more comfortable talking on the phone.

Sometimes guests, especially those new to Airbnb, don't have their notifications turned on and don't respond to the host's messages. In that case, it's often necessary for the host to text or phone the guest to ask them to please look at their Airbnb Inbox and respond to the message they were sent.

It really depends on the circumstances. If a host or guest insists on phoning, texting, using Whatsapp, because they are want to say something rude or make arrangements that are against Airbnb policy, then for sure that is wrong and deserves to be reported.

Additionally,  if a host says something "off" to you over the phone, it's best to follow it up with an Airbnb message- "Hi XX, I'm just following up on our phone conversation yesterday. Did I understand you correctly when you said.....".  "XX- regarding your phone call this morning, I am not accustomed to being spoken to so disrespectfully. I was shocked when you told me ...."

PaulAndSusan0
Level 3
Ledyard, CT

Was relying on an instant booked guest to acknowledge and respond to our e-mail concerning our state's COVID travel restrictions. After another attempt we finally find out the guest was not from the state listed on her AIRBNB profile. She stated she was from our state & was coming with husband for anniversary. Happened to notice in one of he prior reviews, that she had booked a place for a photo shoot. A simple computer check revealed that she was a photographer and advertised on her facebook photography page that she had rented this beautiful AIRBNB (including the dates) for taking reservations for "Boudoir" sessions at our AIRBNB complete withy copied photos from our listing. We immediately cancelled her reservation and she responded saying one friend had asked her t0o take some pictures & she was appalled at our "stalking". I guess she meant finding her ad on her photography website clearly advertising our place for her sessions. Not sure how best to report these activities, both the deception in her residence and deception in her intent to use our place. We clearly prohibit parties, functions, etc in our listing, and wonderful if it is legal for someone to use our AIRBNB listed photos.

Any Advice would be helpful, this one seems to take the cake in our years as super host. The guests real residence is even more important now with all the COVID travel restrictions & perhaps AIRBNB should require address updates from guests when they move. The deception, whether intentional or not is disturbing.

@PaulAndSusan0  I would definitely flag her for her dishonesty about the purpose of the stay at a minimum. How brazen to advertise her services on Facebook with your photos and then accuse you of "stalking" her! How would she feel if someone took her photos from her website and used them for another purpose? That aside, I can see the appeal of your lovely home and those delightfully old-fashioned bedrooms. As a former reporter you can bet I look up almost every guest who books with us. If you haven't already and she still has your photos on her Facebook page, I would screenshot them and again, flag her. To the address part, we've had a number of guests at our home listing and mountain condo whose profile still has a town or city from where they lived years ago. So Airbnb's verification process doesn't include asking for updated IDs, I presume. Such a lovely property you have!   M.E.    

Thanks so much for your insight and advice, we have screen shot all her ads that include our photos and will flag her, thanks again

Kerstin99
Level 2
Santa Cruz, CA

I have been hosting for over ten years and only lately had bad guests. Had to report. So sad ! Air BnB changing. I may quit 

Do no favors, make no friends, go by the airbnb book.

Request ID/Passport or no booking - they do it in hotels - don't they?