What happens with the money in the interim between guest payment and host payout?

Katie201
Level 4
Salt Lake City, UT

What happens with the money in the interim between guest payment and host payout?

There has been an Airbnb practice that seems to never be discussed and, while it has always bothered me a little, I never really felt it was worth making much of a fuss over because it wasn't really directly impacting my experience or success as a host. But then I read a thread tonight about another host's realization that by Airbnb taking money from the host in the event of a natural disaster, or a guest's health emergency, etc. to refund the guest, Airbnb has effectively made it's hosts the travel insurance for their guests (instead of requiring that guests rely on privately purchased travel insurance like hotels and airlines do). Now, I am not a heartless monster and I definitely think that guests who have to cancel due to health emergencies, natural disasters, or the like should be granted a refund. But that refund should come from Airbnb (if the guest did not purchase travel insurance), not the host. And the reason why is because of the Airbnb practice that seems to never be discussed.

The practice is Airbnb debiting the guest's bank at the time of booking but not crediting the host until the day after the guest has arrived. Airbnb is making an INCREDIBLE amount of money off of all of this money that is held in transit from guest to host, yet the website only mentions the service fees as the place where Airbnb makes their money. Not only are they making money on just the interest alone (think of the billions of dollars sitting in their bank as it waits to be paid out to the host!), but it would stand to reason that they are also investing most of that money. Why else would they employ this practice of withholding the money from the host until after the guest checks in? And why isn't this talked about more? Does no one else question why they withold the guests money from the host? 

Honestly, I wouldn't have an issue with them witholding my money so they can earn that interest and invest it for awhile. But they shouldn't then ALSO take my money when a guest cancels. And I definitely have an issue with the fact that they only mention the service fees as their means of income. I am no accountant or ecomomist, but it seems like the interest and investments would make Airbnb WAY more money than the service fees. Shouldn't they be honest and upfront about that? And shouldn't they grant hosts the courtesy of paying back the guests who cancel with extenuating circumstances from the billions upon billions that we allow them to make with our money rather than forcing us to pay the refund?

I needed to finally bring this up because, 1) I am baffled as to why no one ever discusses why Aibnb holds the money nor the implications of this practice and I am dying to get others' take on it. And 2) Whenever I read horror stories of terrible guests it makes me upset for that host but I also feel like it helps prepare me for when I get that inevitable terrible guest so I can either ensure that I get compensated or I can learn to let it go and chalk it up to the realities of the sharing economy. But this is a whole different beast because there is nothing a host can do to prevent money being taken from them when a guest cancels with extenuating circumstances. This didn't initially bother me, just like the money being held didn't initially bother me, until I realized it meant we were the guest's travel insurance. And this becomes an even bigger offence when combined with the fact that if Airbnb really wanted to provide travel insurance to guests then they could use the billions they're making off interest and investments to pay it or just require the guest to get their own travel insurance.

At the end of all of this I will say, though, that if anyone knows for sure that Airbnb does NOT invest our money nor make money off the interest while withholding our money after the guest has paid, then I would honestly love to hear it because this has made me so upset and I really don't want to be because I do love hosting and still intend to do it for as long as I can. So please, if you know for sure that I am wrong or have misunderstood something then please (kindly) clarify things for me. I want to keep loving and supporting Airbnb!

19 Replies 19

@Eric666  Airbnb's host service fee is a very small part of the service fees they charge. The guest service fee is anywhere from 11-25%. And while they may only hold some payments for a short amount of time, some hosts get bookings up to a year in advance of the booked dates, so they are actually holding onto hundreds of thousands or even millions for up to a year.

It wouldn't be so irritating if they used those funds to well-train their customer service personnel so that issues were handled in a consistent, informed and supportive manner, but that isn't the case- while we sometimes are fortunate enough to deal with a CS rep who is efficient and aware of Airbnb TOS and policies, more often than not one gets a rep who has to be referred to the policies, because the rep is clueless. Then, if it gets escalated to someone who is actually helpful and knowledgable, we are often told that the original rep was wrong or handled the case incorrectly. 

When Airbnb starts spending their profits on decent customer service, and fixing all the on-going glitches on their platform, instead of tech teams that are tasked with constantly fiddling with the site for no good reason, and glossy PR which portrays them to be something they are not, I won't be so critical of their greed.

Short time it's ok. But 60, 90 days?  Is a global system, they earn lots of money, they don't really need  to hold the payouts for more than 7 days as they claim in their payments rules. Airbnb is a great model but is now perverted by their greed. Enough of that attitude, that's killing the world and societies. Is not ethical and is unfair.   

Pretty simple really, if you all don't like the process don't use the product!

You all know the answers so why whine. 

It's not a charity site 😊

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

All of you who own ABB stock can find this out directly if you ask questions during a stockholder's meeting 🙂  I am curious about this practice as well. I have a business on Etsy which pays out the next day after a sale is made so that they can take out their fees. Its somewhat normal for big online platforms. But I agree that charging the guests and then holding the funds for an inordinate period before paying out needs additional transparency around why this is going on. 

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

@Katie201 I know this is an old post but today the topic was on my mind after reading this 

https://www.fool.com/investing/2022/10/29/why-airbnb-can-benefit-from-higher-interest-rates/

Sidestepping the question of greed or fairness I just want to point out that I have seen MANY posts on here and even financial commentary editorials which reference the advanced payments being held "in escrow".

This means over the years lots of users and observers assume these guest payments are held safe and treated as "other people's money" while waiting for the host's payout date hence the term ESCROW being used freely and often as an assumption which is dead wrong.

Funds held in escrow have a strict legal definition and have to be treated a certain way. The money cannot earn interest for the holder. Those funds also cannot be spent by the holder EVER. That is the part that should perk us all up. This money is absolutely not in escrow. The guest payments in this case actually can be spent by Airbnb on anything they want and it does not have to be held safely for the future (hopeful) recipient whose listing generated the income.