What have you learned from your first post-lockdown guest?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What have you learned from your first post-lockdown guest?

J.Portland.jpg

Hello everyone, 

Many countries have now opened up for hosting again after varying levels of lockdown, and lots of you are getting back to receiving guests.

Some of you noticed recently that guests are not worried about cleaning, whilst others have had guests who were indeed concerned with this aspect of their stay. 

What are the top things you’re learning after hosting your first few guests since lockdown restrictions eased?

As @Emilia42 mentioned recently, it’s still ‘early in the game’ and things are still changing day by day, but it would be great to share and learn from what others’ experiences are.

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

59 Replies 59
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Quincy,

My first post-lockdown guest was an Airbnb newbie.  I learned by emphasizing that I live on site made him re-think adding guests without permission and payment.  The night before arrival, he suddenly inquired about adding two more people, and the related cost.  I also learned that people forget/disconnect that they are staying in your home even if it has a separate entrance, and will take things that they probably wouldn't have it they had come to visit you.  The guests took the USB cable for one of the Roku sticks.  If they were visitors to my home, I doubt that they would have found it appropriate to go behind my TV and take it.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Debra300, thanks for the fast reply!

I'm so sorry to hear that there are some people around who are doing this kind of thing. My experience has been similar as it has been a few times that I've had chargers taken. I've bought a whole box of used chargers from a local shop so that I wouldn't get surprised in the future anymore. 

When finding out, I usually just take a deep breath in and out thanking that it wasn't a very valuable item. 

-----

@Quincy @Debra300 

I had the same problem. Someone even took my lightning charger because their own stopped working (they left the broken one which was a different color). I keep those supplies in a drawer for owner use (batteries, white board markers, extra command strips, etc.) which meant someone rifled through it looking for a replacement.

I bought one of those battery operated label makers. I label the cords and the charging block with my address and "Do Not Remove."

So far, so good.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Quincy To deviate slightly from your specific question.. but perhaps related or of some interest (and encouragement) to the CC readers here in general. 

One 'impression' I get thus far is - people's inherent need to travel, now that surprises me. It's like they are dying (no punt intended) to get away and take a break from it all, whatever that is. It is like they been in a straight-jacket and want to burst out of it. One guy asked me yesterday if he could fly his own plane and land in our local village.  We are flooded with inquiries lately, out of nowhere. Not one guest has mentioned cleanliness, not that they have to worry about that anyway. They just want to get away, and even for those Airbnbers  that rolled into a future date (54/58 reservations), it appears they 'need' something to look forward to.

Secondly,  how much we ourselves needed this 'break' from hosting and the go-go pace of everyday life. We feel like we are on a great vacation; we are not opening till Nov.1st.

sorry but I can't cope anymore:

pun

noun

1. a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words which sound alike but have different meanings.
    "the Railway Society reception was an informal party of people of all stations (excuse the pun) in life"

punt - t = pun* 

The one that drives me bananas also is using to when too is what should have been used. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

"One guy asked me yesterday if he could fly his own plane and land in our local village" Really??? Any chance he could drop by at any airport nearby London @Fred13😉

-----

I hear you @Quincy . Watch someone ask if they can just parachute in and skip customs, etc. Too much.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Quincy  My first post lockdown guest is probably the worst guest we have ever had, by far.   And, I am sad to say that almost every inquiry has had some red flag, dodgy aspect to it. 

I did notice that having people in the unit created a real need to pay attention to sanitizing the door handles when entering and leaving, which is a bit tricky.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh no, that's not great @Mark116. I hope things will get better!

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

In contrast, my first post lockdown guest was lovely (he just checked out today after a month's stay) but most of the other enquiries I had were full of red flags, so I am glad that I waited it out.

@Quincy  This guest was very polite and respectful, a good communicator and perfectly friendly. He was also very independent though and very busy (just taken on a new job), so even though he was working from home all week, I didn't see a great deal of him and he was not demanding at all. He might come back to stay again.

What have I learnt from it? Well, I've learnt to stick to my guns, i.e. say no to extra discounts and to pay attention to those red flags as I am seeing way more of them than usual in recent guest enquiries. Maybe that means rooms being empty for a while and even more loss of income this year, but I was so relieved that my first post-lockdown guest was a good one. I'd rather sit it out until I get more of the same.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Our first guest post lockdown were lovely. If anything we are getting a slightly better standard of guest overall since lockdown. I have no idea why although we have set our minimum stay to 7 days as cleaning makes less sense with shorter stays 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's lovely to hear @Mike-And-Jane0! It's very interesting to hear that this has changed for you. I wonder why that is. 

-----

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

First guests after lockdown was a lovely family.  I spent some time updating the decor during lockdown but I doubt it made a difference to them. Turned out having access to bikes (they have become a hard to get item here in NY), gas grill and a heated pool was the ticket to an enjoyable stay.  All outdoor amenities.