What have you learned from your first post-lockdown guest?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What have you learned from your first post-lockdown guest?

J.Portland.jpg

Hello everyone, 

Many countries have now opened up for hosting again after varying levels of lockdown, and lots of you are getting back to receiving guests.

Some of you noticed recently that guests are not worried about cleaning, whilst others have had guests who were indeed concerned with this aspect of their stay. 

What are the top things you’re learning after hosting your first few guests since lockdown restrictions eased?

As @Emilia42 mentioned recently, it’s still ‘early in the game’ and things are still changing day by day, but it would be great to share and learn from what others’ experiences are.

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

59 Replies 59
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Mark116,

Throughout my hosting experience I have had guests who do not respond to greeting messages or followups.  So, I now say that I may not be available to do their check-in or I cannot send them the door code until they acknowledge receipt of my messages, and that usually gets a response.  However, more recently I've had to call or send phone texts to tell a couple of guests to respond to my Airbnb messages.  One guy was a very seasoned Airbnber that was traveling for work, and hadn't responded because he was heads down trying to complete the work on time.  The other was a newbie, who did make some transgressions during his stay that were a reflection of someone who didn't know how to behave while in someone's home.

@Debra300  Yes, we've also had a few who never responded until we sent the 'we need to know your check in time to ensure you can access the property' message and that got an answer 99% of the time.  This new person finally did respond this morning, but now her reservation says 'awaiting payment'.  LOL.  It feels like the whole paradigm has shifted, from a majority of responsible/responsive guests to now a majority of last minute, non readers, possible non payers who can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds to write a one line message.  Really dispiriting. 

ETA...Since we had to extend our notification time to 2 days due to getting multiple requests for the next calendar day, if this guest's payment is not accepted, since Airbnb gives them 24 hours, then we lose the chance to rebook the weekend.  I really feel like Airbnb has become a situation of trying to swim in mud. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Mark116,

I've read several requests from hosts that guests should not be allowed to book until all of their account and payment information have been verified.  I understand that Airbnb doesn't want to let the fish off of the hook while they finish setting up the account.  They are trying to compete with other OTAs such as Booking and Expedia, where that same person can set up an account in minutes, and begin making reservations.  I know that there is some difference between those platforms and Airbnb, primarily the ability for guests and hosts to leave reviews of each other.  However, there are many hosts, including homeshares, who post on other OTAs which do not require the same ID verification as Airbnb.

I think it would be best to include another Guest Request item, and allow hosts to choose whether they are willing to accept reservations from people whose accounts are still pending.  Personally, there are some listings that I would not have an issue with this option, because most bookings have a significant lead time due to the need for international travel.  Blocking my calendar for 24 hours while verifying the account is no different than a person making a booking with an invalid credit card on another platform.  I still have to wait 24 hours to allow them time to rectify the situation.

For hosts who choose not to accept reservations from pending members, their listing should have a grayed out calendar with a message stating that only verified members can book.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello

@Mark116 

@Quincy 

It's IT glitches that are causing the NON sending, & or receiving of ALERT NOTIFICATIONS why both Hosts & Guests are not responding when they normally would.

They only come through randomly.

See my other posts on this today & that of others in recent months citing exactly the same issues

@Katie @Lizzie  fyi, 

@Lizziewould you please be so kind to guide @Katie through finding previous topics over the years  on this & how we all, including @Laura_C @Laura_R CHAMBERS helped ensure these yearly IT glitches are fixed.

Thanks in advance

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen427 

Thanks for the tag here. 

I've replied to you on the other thread, so as not to take this one off-topic 😊

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

The guest I mentioned earlier, i.e. the only one I've had post-lockdown, was very responsive, luckily. However, he sent an enquiry, we asked each other some questions and then he said, "Ok, great, I have booked."

I asked him, "Sorry, do you mean you have booked somewhere else because I don't think you have booked with me?"

Turns out he had sent a request to book and assumed that meant it WAS booked. So no, not all guests understand the difference and he's an intelligent chap. I wonder if Airbnb even explains this stuff to them?

Marissa107
Level 6
Marbella, Spain

@ Quincy  , thanks for posting this.

FAITH! This is the lesson I have learned from my first booking after lock down.

They were a beautiful family from Norway who booked on the last week of June to come the following month. In my conversations with them after their confirmation, I just told them that  of all other things, please don't forget to bring your masks. And this was his reply, "Marissa, thanks for the reminder but mask or no mask, we're coming!" This lifted my spirits! Prior to this, I have 6 cancellations and was heart broken! To see my bookings dropping like flies I thought, this is it. Can't pay my mortgage so probably this is a goodbye. 

Inspirations and that little glimmer of hope come the least you expect it. And to top it all, I had my first  chance to host a  Superhost💜

Marissa107 in Estepona, Malaga Spain❤️
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Marissa107, I'm so glad to hear that everything worked out in the end! 🙏

-----

April128
Level 2
Oklahoma City, OK

Wow!!! We have been swamped.  We keep raising our prices, and they keep coming.   HOWEVER, the caliber of guests have been totally different than previous years.  I can only assume that the government (US) bail out money and added unemployment has made our place more affordable, where it hasn't been in the past.

I am so tired of cleaning up exploded Ramon noodles in the microwave,  dried bananas on the kitchen floor, spilled sugar drinks and fruity pebbles in my couch.   I can't decide if I should implement some kind of refundable cleaning fee (to those that actually clean up after themselves), or just continue to raise my prices.   I may be at the point of blocking out a month until my disgust for people subsides a bit.  

Blessings from Oklahoma 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Quincy Remember that guy who is coming with his own airplane, well last night I got an inquiry that outdoes that one! They asked where can they land and park their float plane. Now who in Haven's name has their own float plane, I mean really.

@Fred13  Well, how many people own their own island? 🙂

True, true @Sarah977  Funny,  I am also getting strange requests like others have said,

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Fred13 What???? No way!!!🤣

-----

Yes.  It turns out the fellow has it in the Yucatan already and uses it to go to islands in Mexico and Belize, so it is making some sense now. Talking about people owning odd things.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Fred13 Next guest: Hi Fred, can I come by submarine

-----