What have you learnt about hosting from being a guest?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What have you learnt about hosting from being a guest?

Liv_0-1603120087380.png

Hi everyone,

I’m aware that many of you are occasionally Airbnb guests when taking some time off or travelling for work, and I’m guessing it must be quite interesting to experience hosting from another perspective. 

When travelling as a guest, you might have been able to have different insights and ideas that you later applied to your own listing perhaps. As they say, we learn best by example.

So I was wondering: have you ever seen other hosts making mistakes that you now try to avoid? Have you been surprised by a different way of doing things, or by a great idea that you hadn’t thought of?

Thanks,

Liv

84 Replies 84
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I have learned that I need to:

1. Raise my prices

2. Not give so many amenities away

3. Communicate and respond very proactively

We started out WAY too low on the price scale and gave away a lot of goodies with our stays. After doing several weekends with hosts on Airbnb I learned we weren't adding value, we were just losing income. Its nice to have a few special touches but you don't need to give away the farm.

I also like a host that checks in with me before my trip and to make sure I got in okay. If there is anything special in the rules for check out, a quick note from the host on the last day is always appreciated. I have not done a home share so my hosts are typically absent but I don't like the "ghost host" who is just silent during the entire stay. 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's interesting, @Laura2592!

What kinds of goodies have you stoped giving away? And which ones have you decide to keep?

@Liv we used to leave a good supply of firewood for our guests, a bunch of towels no matter how many people were staying,  an adult beverage of their choice and a locally sourced snack as well as little soaps made locally.

Now we leave one firelog for the indoor fireplace and don't permit wood burned inside (too many people who have had too many issues), two bath towels and two hand towels per guest for a short stay, and an adult beverage OR a snack. No more local soaps after a kiddo smeared one all over the walls....

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 Good call, that sounds like it's plenty! I've never gotten a snack at an Airbnb, It would be very much appreciated 😆

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Liv, that's unbelievable you have never had a snack from Hosts.

I must spoil my guests as they have a couple of chocolates beside the bed, or / and a snack bar, are welcome to help themselves to fresh fruit.

You will be well fed in my place!

I  hope we get my favourite Italian chocolates in New Zealand soon as my supplies are running low and guests love them.

@Francesca 

Is there any updates on sailing vessels departing your shores & those stranded in International waters ?

We really must get our Directors of Health & Scientists held to account for this destruction to humanity.

@Helen427  I'll stay with you as soon as borders open up again (I was in NZ from January 2020 until August 2020 when I made the "mistake" of returning home.)  I provide homemade cookies to my guests at check in and offer muffins each morning.  I miss pies and general Kiwi hospitality!  Love that country!  And I do have a (free) flight back on Qantas for cancelling in March!  Will see you then ;)!

Wow @Lauren259  you and so many others who probably in hindsight think , "Huh, WHY on earth are you telling me to go home & stay at home?" without proper , or at times any explanation.

Good on you that you stayed in New Zealand until August.

Did you go directly back to Colorado?

Maybe I gave your plane a wave as you flew over Auckland on departure as I sometimes flew out the door in excitement to see people flying again!!

Did you get much biking in around New Zealand?

Which parts?

Love your profile and reviews.

I'm happy to accept homemade muffins!

What's your favourite?

As for pies, when I went through an extremely challenging time in my life I lived off them to help put on some much needed weight, the supermarket staff always remembered me through eating pies & were fabulous to me.

Now pies are a treat every now & then & I love Peppered Steak ones .

There's a great place out West Auckland who sell nice pies.

We are pretty spoilt for choice with our range of pies.

Maybe we could start a new topic on biking, pies and muffins and homemade cookies!!!

Hi Helen - always great to have another penpal in NZ!  I did bike.  I started in Kerikeri, rode down the West coast (Kaitaia, Dargaville, etc.) then over to Wellsford before spending a couple of days in Auckland (I had been there before) and headed E/S down through Thames, Tirau, Taupo, National Park, Levin, Paikakariki to Wellington.  Spent 10 days in Nelson/Abel Tasman before heading down the West Coast to Fox Glacier.  Got sick of the rain so I headed back to Nelson.  Long story short - went to Christchurch and did shorter trips from there and spent lockdown in Oamaru, eventually heading bath North to Picton.  And then started flying!  What an amazing adventure!  

My fave muffins (to make and eat) are bread pudding: with a banana, coconut, pecans and either raisins or white chocolate chips.  have you been to the US?  

I'm so frustrated with airbnb and their pathetic customer service ;(!!!

think it can depend on the price and standard of your AirBnB. Mine is in the lower bracket and I find many guests just take as much as they can and take advantage as they are backpackers. I have to weigh up the return on the freebies and think about why I am doing it. Is it giving me better reviews - when my space is shared, No, is it bringing them back or making them or me happy. Does it make much difference to their stay? If you are asking a lot then you can give more and people expect more.

Our first Easter we left some small chocolate eggs, never again as we found melted chocolate everywhere 😄  I used to leave all the towels I used for guests in the cupboard until a group of 4 used about 20 towels in 2 days!  Also the bedding I use until a family brought extra family in & just put the extra sheets on the beds, so instead of having 3 sets of sheets & pillow cases they used 6 & also didn’t pay any extra for the other people. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I hate it when I book a place and I don't receive a message from the host until a few days before arrival with the check-in instructions. I find it very unwelcoming and it leaves me with an uneasy feeling, did they even get my booking?

So now I always make sure to send a message to the guest (hopefully within 24 hours of booking) to say THANK YOU and what they can expect next.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Nice insight, @Emilia42! I'm with you on that, a small message can go a long way.

I definitely feel more welcome and supported as a guest when the host takes the time to reach out to me with a few instructions before my stay 😊

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Couldn't agree more with you @Emilia42. I do this also as I find this very irritating if I am a guest @Liv 

In addition I kindly remind them some of the house rules and/or what has caused problems with neighbours in the past so that both parties know where we stand and no one can say "oh, I didn't know that" if something happens. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Emilia42 

Was there any indication in those Hosts Response time when you booked they may be slack communicators?

I get a bit annoyed with guests who are  that way but try to understand there's many circumstances in our lives, including lack of readily available internet access,  they are busy with family etc why they may not have replied sooner.

Thankfully most guests apologise for any delays which I appreciate.

Did any of those Hosts @Emilia42 

@Nickinclude that information anywhere in their listing?

Perhaps it's an area where Hosts in general can improve.