What is the best piece of advice to give to your fellow hosts?

Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achères-la-Forêt, France

What is the best piece of advice to give to your fellow hosts?

business-6839039_1280.jpg

Hello everyone,

The strength of the Community Centre lies in the hosts sharing their knowledge, advice, and experiences in a spirit of caring and caring. Together we are stronger! And we feel less alone.

Although many tips and tutorials are already present on this forum, I really like to discover new ones during a more fun general discussion.

What better advice could you give to your fellow hosts in our community? And why? Do not deprive yourself of making us laugh by sharing your experiences!

My advice: communicate!

On every occasion: request for information, booking, before arrival, at the reception, etc. show the traveller interest. I’m almost able to tell you about every group that came home.

My funny experience: a massage! 😂

the organiser of a group that came home for a Zen weekend, offered me a massage on a chair to thank me for the good time spent at home. I came to start laundry and I enjoyed 20 minutes of relaxation in the sun!

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)
52 Replies 52
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Communication is the key!

We cannot repeat it often enough.

Thanks for sharing this, @Delphine348 !

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Delphine348 My advice is to ignore Airbnb pricing. Make your own decisions based on your knowledge of the area, your listing and how it compares to others.

Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Mike-And-Jane0 ,

It is sad that you’re so right! 

I have "smart pricing option" and I have set my own lower and higher prices in it. Because the suggestion isn't relevant on both sides. Can't figure why, so I have it within my own boundaries . Untill now it hasn’t work or only once.

Only the lower price is used even when calendar shows high demand dates. So it is crucial to know of the other similar listings in our area and set your price accordingly .

Thank you for this good advice !

Have you also a fun fact with guests?

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)

@Delphine348 Probably the most fun guests were the ABBA tribute band who based themselves with us for a fortnight while they toured local venues. Sadly they slept more than they practiced when they were with us.

Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

@Mike-And-Jane0 oh lovely surprise! I have seen them in Casablanca, Morroco where we lived as expatriates during 6 years. They are very good! Too bad they did't do a private concert for you...

Delphine

As long as the Money, Money, Money kept coming in, @Mike-And-Jane0...

I'll get my coat. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Helen744 my advice is get to know the platform really, really well so you do not price wrongly. Try to listen to your early guests and maybe engage with them strongly because they will tell you some things about your listing that may not be obvious to you. Remember they are not your friends and act professionally at all times .Some may become friends though. Also you will make mistakes but if you follow the rules and make some of your own for your space then you can be proud of your work . Good luck H

Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Helen744 ,

Act professionally at all times is also a good piece of advice indeed! We are still learning day after day on this matter!

Have you a fun fact with guests ?

Delphine

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Delphine348 

I would also say that communication is key. That includes having a clear listing and rules as well as how you message/speak to guests.

Also, never assume what is obvious to you is obvious to your guests. I've hosted people of all sorts of different ages, nationalities, backgrounds, temperaments and levels of experience in terms of travelling and all of these can alter guest expectations or how they will behave. I have learnt a lot about cultural differences, which can sometimes be significant. For example, bathrooms and how people use them, can vary a lot from country to country.

In addition, when people are travelling, they can have their 'holiday brains' on and do things they wouldn't normally do at home. A guest wouldn't leave their front door open or leave the oven on after using it when they are at home, because they do these things on 'auto-pilot'. However, often this auto-pilot misfunctions when they are in an unfamiliar environment.

So, assume that some of your guests are going to go out all day but leave the heating or air conditioning on and all the windows open or accidentally damage things because they don't know how to use them and find ways to prevent this, e.g. by making sure the guest has clear instructions. Personally, I try to cover this sort of thing in my welcome tour, as I find that a lot of guests don't read the information given to them. They are also more likely to listen if you explain it to them in a friendly and lighthearted way with a few jokes thrown in.

Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Huma0 ,

Ah the "holiday brain" is a good way of telling about guests doing things they wouldn’t normally do at home, particularly when they stay in another country .

I was really astonished when I red your story about your guest leaving your front door opened all night long! Not a so fun fact though!

I also complete my guest information every now and then , according to guest experience.

You’re right, if we give the guest a friendly funny welcome tour, they are more tolerant also when it comes to review!

Delphine

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Delphine348 

Yes, it's very concerning. It wasn't the first time a guest left the front door open, but the first time (as far as I am aware) that it was left open all night. 

This particular guest wasn't a tourist. He had been living in London for some years (as had other guests who have left the door open) and was just staying here while looking for a new apartment. So, it's not just 'holiday brain'. The auto-pilot malfunction can happen with anyone because they are still staying in a different environment, with maybe a door/lock that is not the same as the one they are used to. Another guest completely destroyed my previous, very expensive, lock and he was also a host!

I make a real point of showing guests how to operate the lock and of course telling them to make sure they shut the door properly, so I'm sure this would happen more frequently if I didn't do that...

If I wasn't a homestay host, I would definitely want some sort of external camera/smart phone set up so that I could keep an eye on the front door.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We have Banham locks which seem to flummox many guests, @Huma0. I too have woken to the door wide open despite showing them how to (easily) shut it. Urgh!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 

I believe Banham locks are very common here in the UK so there must be quite a few hosts experiencing the same problem!

However, I feel like guests are often going to be flummoxed by any lock that isn't the same as the one they have at home even if it's not that complicated. My lock is simple. You use a key to get in and then all the guests have to do is pull/push the door shut when they come and go. That's it. So many seem to struggle though.

I recently hosted a young woman who was very sensible and didn't seem to have any problems following instructions in general. One day she called me to say she was stuck outside because the key wouldn't work. Luckily I was home to open the door. When she went to show me the non-functioning key/lock. I told her she was holding the key upside down. She had been letting her self in for a few days by that point so I don't know why 'holiday brain' kicked in that morning...

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Delphine348,

My advice to fellow hosts, especially new one, is that the property is fully your responsibility, and do not expect or wait for Airbnb to assist you with home owner decisions.  For example, if guests are egregiously breaking house rules, presenting a danger to you or themselves, or there is a known problem at your property that prevents you from hosting, then it is the host's prime directive to address the situation, and then inform and follow up with Airbnb.  Too often, we see hosts leave posts where they've described a scene which required them to take immediate action, and they've said that they felt abandoned, because Airbnb didn't do anything or responded very slowly.  It's your property, and you are the final decision-maker about who can stay at your place.