What is the correct procedure for guests that break rules?

Rodrigo-and-Sarah0
Level 2
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

What is the correct procedure for guests that break rules?

Hello fellow hosts,

Tried to find a similar topic but still had questions so I decided to post here. We're superhosts and have been hosting since February of this year (we have a private suite and we live in the apartment). This is the first time we had to kick out a guest in the middle of a reservation and after everything was resolved I'm wondering if what Airbnb told us is correct.

The guest kept all the lights on in the suite 24/7, even when we sent a gentle reminder to please turn them off when out. He ignored that message and we decided to just let it go. Today he brought someone to our place by lying to the doorman that his friend was authorized by us to visit. We found out that he had someone over because they began having extremely loud sex in the suite. After talking with the doorman and confirming that someone indeed was brought to our place + the fact that the guest lied, I called Airbnb to request an immediate cancellation of the reservation.

The houae rules are printed out in the suite and are also in the listing.

The case manager that eventually helped us asked us how we wanted to proceed and I told him that I wanted the guest to leave immediately. It was extremely difficult to understand the case manager because English was not his first language. I think this contributed to the confusion (it's not his fault though, just wanted to point out that communication was hard). He asked if I would refund the remaining dates and I agreed, whatever it takes to cancel the reservation asap. I also asked him if the cancellation would appear in our reviews, since I had read that instant bookings (as was the case) can be cancelled without penalties should the guests break the rules. He told me that he needed to speak to the guest and that he would get back to me. I stayed in the house, late to work, to make sure that I could kick the guest out asap.

Basically, the case manager couldn't get a hold of the guest (who wasn't picking up because, surprise, he was having sex). He told me not to kick the guest out yet because he needed to talk to him. At that moment, the guest came out of the suite with his friend to go to the beach. I told the guest right there that Airbnb needed to talk to him and to not waste any more time I handed over my phone. In the end, we were told to change the reservation dates for guest to check out immediately. He left soon after we hung up with case manager.

Later on the case manager confirmed via message that the guest can leave a review if he wants. I thought in the case of breaking the rules they wouldn't be able to. Kind of confused. Has anyone else had to kick out a guest for breaking the rules and what was the correct procedure, please? Our cancellation policy is moderate but did I do the correct thing in changing the reservation? Should have I insisted that Airbnb cancel it?? 

Thank you and sorry for the long message.

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello

So sorry to hear this happened.

Do have a look at Airbnb Help Centre as it tells you the process to follow if there are problem guests and you need to cancel.

As hosts, particularly superhosts, we should keep up to date with how Airbnb works as it will help us manage our listings.

1. In a situation like this Airbnb will always tell you to contact the guest first before they will make a decision. In your situation I would have both knocked loudly on the door and called the guest as soon as I was aware they had bought in a guest contrary to my house rules and say they needed to ensure the univited guest left immediately. And follow this up via Airbnb messaging

2. My next step would be to call Airbnb and say in line with their cancellation policy they needed to cancel the guest with immediate effect. You shouldn't have agreed to a refund.

3. No way would I have refunded this guest a penny for the reminder of his stay. Nor would I have agreed to a change of dates. It should have been a cancellation.

4. Nowhere in Airbnb's rules does it say if a guest gets kicked out they can't leave you a review.

Thanks so much for your help. We are currently debating if we should try to fight Airbnb on this (especially since the guest admitted to everything on the phone with the case manager) or not. But we probably won't be able to change anything because we agreed to the refund. We are not really enjoying being hosts anymore to be honest. The experience level has gone down quite a bit...

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Rodrigo-and-Sarah0, bad experience but it is already gone. I had very similar and had cancelled the stay. May be you can contact HS again and talk about this issue? Hopefully they will not allow this guest to write a review. In any case, flag and report him. And go on with hosting! After bad guest you will get very good ones! 

Tammy31
Level 2
Decatur, TX

I’ve had about the same experience and Airbnb is not being of any help.  My house rules state no pets.  If you arrive with more guests than you booked for your reservation will be canceled with no refund. And no loud music respect the neighbors the guest within hours had broken all the rules   Arrived with a large black dog. Which they claim was a stray. I have a camera in the yard you can see the daughter walking the dog on a leash in front of the house on the side walk. Arrived with the 5 guests that were booked and a couple of hours later at least 5 additional guests arrive. They bring out a stereo place it at the back door at at 1am the loud music is still playing. Airbnb and myself r trying to contact them to tell them they must leave. I’m in another state 10 hours away and they want respond. They stay Saturday night still want respond on Sunday. At about 8pm on Sunday night they respond after I leave a message the Sherriff dept has been notified. I have sent video of all the guests the dog and the music blaring outside with a time stamp. Airbnb has let them leave a terrible review with 1 stars. I’m a super host hosting over 64 families this year with near perfect scores. And Airbnb will not remove the review. And to top it all off they heated hot crisco or lard. Poured it into the dishwasher and kitchen sink the sink pipe had to be Removed all the way into the wall.  Then with a little research I’ve discovered he’s a convicted felon. I’m considering deleating Airbnb completely and going with another rental site only in which I have used previously. I wish I could post a pic of the jammed pipes with white lard packed in it. Very upset at this point. 

So far we have been lucky with out guests however always expecting a rotten egg. My first action would be to front the guest explain the problem and take it from there. If they argue and you want them out then call air and ask them to leave, i am not afraid of a poor review as if the guest does the wrong thing my review will be more damaging and you get the right to respond online. AIR are only a booking site with limited abilities, staff nice but not well trained. kick em out if they need kicked out..