What is the first thing you do as a guest?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What is the first thing you do as a guest?

Door.png

Hello everyone,

I know we like to talk about hosting quite a lot of the time, however this time I would like to turn the tables for this discussion. 🙂

I imagine that most of us have been on holiday before. Some more than others. Best case scenario, you travelled via Airbnb and had a nice stay with great memories.

Can you still remember what it was like as a guest? That moment when you arrived and entered the accommodation?

If so, what was the first thing you did as an Airbnb guest, or what do you normally do first when you arrive in your accommodation? Unpack your suitcases? Search for the wifi password? Or read about local attractions?

If I am staying in an entire listing, I like to have a look around and then read the welcome booklet if there is one. This way I can make sure I know everything I need to and see if there are any local tips for restaurants. 

What do you do? I look forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

43 Replies 43
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Lizzie Hey there ! I’ve only been to two places so far and they were in L.A. Both were entire space type lodges. First thing I did after check in was go out for a walk and buy some milk for my cup of tea. I had already eaten at the airport as I arrived early. Left the following morning after a good sleep. I don’t really remember much about the place ( jet lag) I couldn’t really think straight 🙂  but the wifi was great. 

My 2nd stay two weeks later was great as I was chucked out of a dreadful yellow cab which I thought I was going to die in 😉 ( that’s normal I think) at 11pm at night  and my host was quickly there to show me in. I was late because a man fell down the moving stairs at LAX and needed help and I missed my mini bus pick up. The host was very kind about this. 

Beautiful decor...They had milk and some nibbles, power shower ..real big towels to wrap up in and the bed was just beautiful. First time using one of those one cup coffee machines 😉 heh... I have very fond memories of sitting outside the next morning with humming birds right next to me. I will never forget that! It was the best coffee experience ever. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It does sound like both of your trips prior to arriving at the Airbnb were quite eventful, @Ria16. It is so kind of you to help the person who fell, that sounds quite painful I hope he was OK. I do hope your next arrival is a little smoother though. 🙂

I don't know if it is because you mentioned LA, but I instantly picture a warm sunny listing. hehe

I am also pleased to see you too need a good cup of tea / coffee when you arrive after a long journey! There is something soothing about it. 🙂

As soon as you arrived in both the listings did you feel instantly welcomed and relaxed? 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@LizziePoor man was going up feet first. I slapped the emergency stop button which peed people off as they had to climb over him with their luggage. He turned out ok though and probably still managed to get on his plane. I did feel relaxed on my second stay. I had a late flight home so  I booked an extra night and that was great and I was able to visit the beach , get a nice meal and just chill without stressing.

It must be hard when your place is near the airport I do emphasise with hosts and guests . People are always keen to get to their lodgings after long haul. I would hate to leave my luggage somewhere and have to wander around for hours in the clothes that I’d been sitting in for hours on end. ( I know you can have showers at the airport but ts not the same) I find the older you get the harder jet lag becomes. I’ve read some research on that which was interesting. I would always book the extra night in order to get thst early check in I think;) 

Having my first kiwi AirBnB next month am really looking forward to it 🙂 looks lovely in the photos.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello Lizzie

1- As any guest, I want to know what the wifi password is  (if it was not informed in the itinerary).

2- Have a look around.

3- Rest for a while. (If I had a long flight, a shower would do me no harm!)

4- Go for a walking to see some attraction nearby.

5- Only before going to the bed I usually unpack the suitcases.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Yeah, I agree with you @J-Renato0, I usually don't unpack my suitcase until later, or depending on the length of my stay I often leave my clothes in my suitcase (except for the clothing that like to crease, basically as soon as you look at them!). 🙂

You mention having a shower, do you normally look for things like shampoo or would you normally take these/buy them when you get there?

--------------------

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi @Lizzie

The most important thing to consider, when I search  accommodation is "location". The second thing is interior comfort, considering value for money as well.

If it is a hotel, usually it has toilet soap and whatsoever.

I have stayed only twice in Airbnb accommodations, and it was entire space. Both great experience. As far as can remember, I did not pay attention on small details such as soap and shampoo. Anyway, in my listings, there is tolilet soap, toilet paper and etc available.

Hi @Lizzie

As a guest.... I've only stayed at private home listings so I always check the house manual first for the wifi pw and make sure the amenities (towels, soap, shampoo etc.) are all there. Then I (or Henry) like to check if the fridge, microwave, electric kettle are working well and take a quick look around the entire home before we head out. We've only stayed in ABBs in Japan and most convenience stores have great pre-packaged meals, sandwiches and snacks so we make it a point to buy stuff for breakfast or a late night snack when we head back home in the evening. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This sounds nice @Jessica-and-Henry0. I know what you mean about having stuff in ready for breakfast the next morning. For me, I just need to know that there is milk and tea bags and if not, then this my first stop when exploring the local area. 🙂

Do you find that the Airbnb's you have stayed in usually supply amenities like soap and shampoo?

I stayed in an Airbnb recently in New York and unfortunately, my bag didn't arrive with me. I can't tell you how relieved I was to see a spare toothbrush and paste still in its packaging ready to use when I reached my Airbnb. That small thing made such a difference (mainly because at 1am I didn't need to go back out into the cold) and I was happy to replace it for the next person who might be in a similar situation! 🙂

--------------------

@Lizzie

We usually try to book a place that provides amenities and towels but when we are in Japan it's never a deal breaker for us - usually there are so many convenience stores it's easy to pop out to buy stuff and get a few snacks (and drinks). Plus, I always keep most of the stuff I will need the 1st 24hrs upon arrival in my carry on just in case my luggage doesn't arrive 🙂 

Henry and I travel very lightly - on our recent 1 week trip to Boracay we both only had a 4~5kg carry on (backpack) each. 

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Hi all and @Lizzie

As a guest, I like to walk around take a photo of a space. Then talk with a host or read the information they provided. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is really nice @Nutth0. Do you normally stay with other hosts or entire listings? 

--------------------

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

I like private room listing more than entire home. I love talking to a host. One of the great Airbnb I stayed with the host doing his own beer in the basement! 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Lizzie

I check the mattresses first thing.  Hard to tell from a photo and the reviews do not always mention them.  

Then I check the kitchen utensils and the "essentials". 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is a really good point @Marit-Anne0 and actually something I don't normally do. What are you looking for with the mattress? Firmness? 

--------------------