What is the furthest your guests have travelled to stay in your home?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 17.01.22.png

Hello everyone, 

We've all hosted guests from all places around the world, and it is fascinating how far one will sometimes travel for a well-deserved vacation or perhaps a family/work visit. 

I'd probably say that the guests that travelled a great distance to stay at my home, would probably be the guests I had from China who were flying from the most eastern part of the country. They flew all the way to Edinburgh to visit their daughter, who was studying there. 

I've also had guests from the United States, India, South Africa. Most of them were coming for sightseeing/visiting friends, and some for business purposes.

I look forward to seeing your replies.

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

31 Replies 31
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Australia > U.S. (LA) > Belize City, Belize > Placencia, Belize > Bird Island. They told me all told it entailed 3 days of travel.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's quite the trip @Fred13! Long time no see, how are things going on Sunny Bird Island? 

-----

Good @Quincy. We opened up last this last Christmas and been going non-stop since then, and fully booked till next Fall (2022) via Airbnb. No complaints from us, when we look around we do feel grateful. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Well @Quincy @Fred13 hello from Down Under on the World Map!
Europe and the UK and USA.

Missing our Tourists very much, and those who once visited Auckland ...

Crazy world we live in.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen427, I hope NZ will open up soon for you ☀️!

-----

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Quincy,

The furthest we've had guests travel to stay with us were people Croatia who sailed from Spain as part of the annual Atlantic Rally for Cruisers race from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria to Rodney Bay Marina (1 mile/1.6 km from my place).  They stayed the 2019/2020 Christmas and New Year holidays with us.  We were scheduled to visit them in May last year, but that plan went caput in March 2020.  We still stay in touch, and we would like to still go next year.

Our very first guest was a yacht cabin steward from Russia who stayed overnight just to get off of the boat.  We've had consultants from India and Japan who were already on island before they came to stay with us.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, that's very impressive @Debra300. To have guests sail all the way to Saint Lucia and stay at your place is quite special! 

My first guest was from Iowa, USA 😃.

How are things on Saint Lucia at the moment?

-----

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Quincy,

Down here, the delta variant is running rampant, and we're experiencing a significant surge in positive cases and deaths.  During the past month, we've had early curfews and no-movement for 36 hours of each weekend.  People frequently breach these regulations, and there really aren't any punitive measures in place to modify their behavior.  There are more people getting their jabs, but still only 17.5% of the island's population is fully vaccinated.  We're going up to the US at the end of October, and I am looking forward to being able to go outside whenever I want.

The lockdowns have had a negative impact on tourism, because I've heard other hosts talk about guest cancellations.  We've not seen much difference, because since we re-opened in July, 95% of our guests have been returning nationals, locals, or regional travelers.  I am concerned that if St. Lucia doesn't get the COVID spread under control soon, the island will be put on the UK's red list, and many guests from the UK and Europe will not come down during the winter.  Which is typically the high season. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@QuincyWe've had guests from Qatar, Spain, the UK, and all over the US. That was summer of '19. Then winter hit.... native guests, then the pandemic hit...more native guests. We've had very little experience with guests from afar!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Colleen253, from which cities in Canada did most of your guests come from? 

-----

@Quincy My listing is just west of Calgary. The majority of our guests are from Alberta…coming largely from Edmonton and area, then Calgary, then Lethbridge and area. Very grateful for them all. We have stunning views, are close to the mountains, with a great hot tub, and therefore 

many folks like to come to us for a mini vacation.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That sounds great @Colleen253! I'm jealous 😃

-----

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Debra300 for reminding me, I had a really delightful gentleman Old Salty, who traveled the world for a company on Sailing Vessels, from recall he was mainly based in the Caribbean as his home residence, alas he may be one of my Guests who has traveled the furthest from his Maritime waters guest 😉

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen427, can you still remember from which country exactly? 🙂

-----