What is the lowest offer you ever received?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

What is the lowest offer you ever received?

Today somebody offered me $25 less the amount of my cleaning fee “all in”. Meaning taxes and fees which in Chicago comes to about another 40% on top of the booking rate were included in the offer as well stay itself and cleaning. Basically, this would not have even paid for utilities and cleaning supplies. Other than charity request for free stay, what is the lowest offer you have ever received?

84 Replies 84
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Inna22 

I don't understand why people don't use the price filter to find a listing that fits their budget?

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Because they want to get a better property for a lower price. It’s annoying to get asked, but quite common, especially when times are tough for hosts. I always steer guests to other properties that will match their budget, because hosting guests that will take advantage in this way makes me uncomfortable.  But I know they already know this - they just want more for less.

@Pat271 this group was a couple and one child. There was no reason for them to rent a five bedroom home. There could have easily found a smaller property in their budget if they didn’t feel entitled to get more for free

Hmmm, $25 for a 5-bedroom house?  For 2 adults and 1 child?

@Pat271 the offer was $25 below my cleaning fee "all in". 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Inna22,

I received an offer a couple of months ago that was effectively asking for an additional 21% off of the rate that had already received a 35% long-term stay discount.  This is the person whom I told that we would have to turn off all of the utilities and remove most furnishings in order for the deal to work equitably.  I didn't get a response from the guest.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 lol and in Chicago, IL?  As the Brits will say, are they mad?

I accidentally priced my private room in zone 2 (zone 1 is central, as the number increases you get further away), London at £20/night for a couple during peak time and on the weekend. I quickly learnt from my mistake and got off "smart pricing". 

But the funniest was a guest thought £30/night for the above would buy him accomodation and 3 meals. Upon booking he was already telling me what he wanted me to cook him- it did not work out and he booked elsewhere. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

WOW! That is really...something. 

I have gotten a few messages that say "Hi, we are fantastic people for X and X and X reason, but only have such and such to spend. Please contact me off the platform so that we can negotiate."  That is a hard no. 

We really don't offer discounts. We did in the beginning. Bad idea. If we aren't booked during a slow time we just lower the rate a bit. There is something about people who want or need a discount which translates into "I need to get as much stuff as I can for free" and shenanigans ensue. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

If someone asks me for a discount I will suggest that other hosts in the area might be better equipped to accommodate their request.

I do offer discounts, but, at the end of the stay in the form of a refund, not the start. I removed any discounts that Airbnb suggest from the listing pricing editing page. My nightly rate is the same for 2 nights or 22.

It has been my experience that guests who chase a discount up-front will be far inferior to those who will gladly stay and accept a discount that I may offer at the end of the stay!

I like to asses whether that guest has been worth the discount before they get it!

Cheers........Rob

@Laura2592  @Yadira22  @Pat271  @Debra300 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

You asked what was the lowest offer we have received, and that would be zero, @Inna22 . Less than zero. I had someone once want to do me the favour of "looking after" the treehouse for me for the winter. He and his either 4 or 6 cats (can't remember, but it was a shocking number of cats) would move in and he would use my wifi every morning at the house while eating breakfast. He would need me to drive him places once in awhile. Can't remember what else he stipulated. I do remember that he was able to make this fabulous offer because his girlfriend had kicked him out. 

Sadly, I was already booked up for most of the winter and so had to turn him down...

@Lawrene0 this is truly hilarious 

@Lawrene0  Funniest story I've heard all week. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The lowest offer I got was quite a while ago. It was a girl asking to stay for free on a long-term basis but that she would help me with hosting and cleaning. I immediately told her no. No amount of help with hosting or cleaning is going to help when you can't rent out the room!

Recently, I had a guest tell ask to book at a particular budget including Airbnb fees. His reasoning being that it was a long term stay (I already have a long-term discount built in) and because of his excellent reviews (he had none). I responded asking him if he was aware he was asking to rent my listing at a 50% discount. He never responded.