What is the lowest offer you ever received?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

What is the lowest offer you ever received?

Today somebody offered me $25 less the amount of my cleaning fee “all in”. Meaning taxes and fees which in Chicago comes to about another 40% on top of the booking rate were included in the offer as well stay itself and cleaning. Basically, this would not have even paid for utilities and cleaning supplies. Other than charity request for free stay, what is the lowest offer you have ever received?

84 Replies 84

@Anna9170  MUCH more fun! 😂😂😂

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Anna9170,

A lesson that I learned a long time ago when I am trying to communicate in another language is not to worry about using proper grammar, because people appreciate that I am trying, and just focus on being understood even if I don't say it perfectly.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

and to stick to literal speech vs expressions

the water is hot

the water is piping hot

both in english are grammatically correct but if translate the later to Spanish word for word, sense of what you are trying to say may get lost in the process. 

@Yadira22 @Anna9170 @Debra300 @Ann72 

As a professional interpreter (Korean-English), something I ALWAYS emphasize before a meeting....... Be as clear and direct as possible - meaning, NO metaphors, NO idioms, NO wordplay, NO  jokes. 

When people complain (to me) about google translate not being accurate (not that I can do anything about that), my usual response is that at least half  the time it's probably because one or more of the following;  your word-choices were not optimal, your sentence was either too long and/or not grammatical enough (for a machine to decipher) or you used an idiom. 

1600663015997.jpg

But outside of work and work meetings, I LOVE a good joke 😁 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

My parents divorced when I was young, and my father would often "forget" send the support payments.  My mother was disabled, and couldn't work.  So, I had a happy, but very economically humble childhood (free school lunches, food stamps, government cheese, etc.).  My mother often told me about growing up during the Depression, having 11 siblings, and her father dying when she was 15 years of age.  Never once did my mother say anything about starving children in Africa (very much a first world comment that reeks of superiority instead of gratitude), because we were well aware that there were hungry children in our own country, and we were very fortunate to eat every day.  Thankfully, she and I both didn't really like green peas, so that is the one thing that she didn't try to make me eat.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Debra300  @Yadira22  @Ann72  Yes, I understand, I should try to speak as simply as possible, and not try to joke, so as not to be  misunderstood 🤣

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Anna9170,

Please keep telling your jokes.  That will help us to learn humor in other languages and cultures.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anna9170 never stop telling your jokes and bringing happiness to the people around you. Stay safe x

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Oh,  I forgot when I was first setting up I did not see the "private room" setting and someone seriously thought the rental of £25 a night (we wanted to get reviews in quickly) included bed sharing with me- that was one of the most awkward interactions I had on Airbnb! He did not book but so funny! 🙂

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Jessica-and-Henry0  
Yes, Yes, I understand this perfectly well, that the easier it is to say a phrase, the more correct the understanding will be. Short and clear and without any " ha-ha".  But sometimes humor runs ahead of me (and knowledge of the language runs far behind)))  and as a result, everything is clear and witty to me and no one else is. 🤣🤣🤣 
@Yadira22  @Debra300