What is the purpose of the Trust and Safety team?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

What is the purpose of the Trust and Safety team?

Here's the latest from Airbnb: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2799/airbnbs-offplatform-policy 

We are not allowed to ask guests to provide us with ID, we are not allowed to do background checks, among other "not alloweds".

Yet according to this: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1308/does-airbnb-perform-background-checks-on-members  Airbnb doesn't even require guests to provide them with full names or date of birth.

Here is the pertinent wording: "If we have enough information (usually at least the user’s first and last name, plus date of birth) to identify a guest or host who lives in the United States, we check certain databases of public state and county criminal records, as well as state and national sex offender registries for criminal convictions and sex offender registrations. If we have enough information (usually at least the user’s first and last name plus date of birth) to identify a guest or host who lives outside the United States, we may, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and to the extent available, obtain the local version of background or registered sex offender checks."

So if you were under the impression that even though you may not know a guest's last name, Airbnb surely does, think again. 

And how likely is it that guests who have a criminal record or a warrant out for their arrest would give this information that Airbnb doesn't actually require?

No police department in the world would consider it safe for hosts to admit a stranger into their home without at least knowing the person's real name. Yet Airbnb is willing to put hosts in this unsafe position. 

26 Replies 26
Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I experienced this lack of oversight firsthand. A ‘Verified’ guest booked my home - the night of her stay, AirBNB Trust & Safety calls me at 9 pm and says they’re cancelling her reservation because of a ‘safety issue’, and that I need to have her leave my home immediately. 

They wouldn’t tell me why, or what happened. Imagine getting a call late at night and having someone tell you your guest is somehow unsafe, so.....go handle it?  Without any information!  Is she using a stolen credit card?  Is she wanted?  Is she dangerous?  Who knows, who cares, your problem now, bye!  

The best part - when I asked if I’d still get paid, they said ‘I don’t know, we’ll see.’ What in the fresh h*ll?!  I was left holding the bag. AirBNB didn’t even call the guest themselves. I had to evict her, without any information, all while she was asking me what the heck was going on. 

I truly cannot wait for the Landlord & Tenant Board to open again in our region so I can leave AirBNB behind. 

@Danielle476That's truly shocking. Did the guest go reasonably quietly? Did you receive a payout?

@Alexandra316 The guest actually seemed super nice, ironically.  She left without issue, but because I'm an off-site host and my husband was working (I was home with the kids) I couldn't physically get there until 3 in the morning to make sure she hadn't trashed my place on the way out.  Thankfully she didn't, and after three weeks of arguing with AirBNB, I was paid for the reservation.  I'm sure if I hadn't pursued it as vigorously as I did, I would have gotten nothing.

Mike323
Level 9
Middletown, PA

@Sarah977 

A cause worthy of our attention.

Define “community”, is it only geography, or can it be virtual?

Observe policies among burning cities [geography]

Compare/contact with policies handed to this community [virtual]

Preview of coming attractions?

I think this needs to be brought to the attention of the media. The sleazy lical

lawyer that helped Airbnb lobby for legality in our area assured the City Council that Airbnb did appropriate due diligence to assure we weren’t booking criminals, pedophiles and sex offenders.

I do not book any new guest unless they tell me who they are and why they are traveling. The ones that refuse to answer get declined. 

Honestly, I worry that Airbnb has squandered its potential and its good will.

@Christine615 

There is far less division among the masses than we are led to believe [6 control 90%]

How can people distracted by finances, racial tension, virus cut through the noise to see the real enemies [puppet masters]

Infiltrate / cloak wickedness in a thin veil of nobility. [wolf in sheep’s wool]

Discredit / remove protectors of the herd. [LEO/military]

Not race vs race

Not rich vs poor

Not red vs blue

Good vs evil

Exactly @Mike323  we’ll said!

Race is a always used to distract people from those picking the pockets of their own supporters. Then using the hate and misdirection to get people to vote against their own self interests.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I'm in awe that airbnb will not reinstate a person convicted of sexual violence or hate crimes, but apparently they might reinstate for murder, armed robbery, home invasion or arson.  I feel safe. LOL. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Sarah977 technically speaking the policy does not say you cannot run background checks; it says you cannot ask for contact information for that purpose. Likewise it does not say you cannot ask for ID; it says you cannot ask a guest to send it to you prior to arrival.

Not arguing against your basic point.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Lisa723 @Sarah977 So if a guest books under an obvious nickname, can we ask their full real name?

- Any Brits got a view on the new Covid rules? Are we supposed to keep a record of names & addresses, in case WE get Covid, & need to inform the authorities who stayed in our homeshare? 

@Lisa723  Yes, technically. But if you aren't allowed to ask for a guest's ID prior to arrival, that sort of makes background checks a moot point, right? You're supposed to wait until a guest is in residence, then do a background check if they seem somehow sketchy, then try to contact Airbnb when you find out they have a warrant out for their arrest?

@Sarah977 you don't necessarily need to see an ID to run a background check.

@Lisa723  Well, you need something to go on. A guest's real first and last name, a clear face photo that you could do facial recognition on, no? 

@Sarah977 I don't see anything preventing hosts from asking for a guest's full name and DOB, running a background check, and verifying the ID against the name/DOB on arrival.