What is the situation about Airbnb in South Africa?

Andrea4460
Level 1
Stellenbosch, South Africa

What is the situation about Airbnb in South Africa?

Are we allowed to accept bookings?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

Andrea

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Andrea4460 

Your government will have legislation covering the corona virus which will include information on whether or not STRs are allowed.

I would suggest you start there.

@Helen3 

I also suggest that Andrea starts from there, instead of having other people do the work for him.

Andrea4460
Level 1
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi there,

To the non-South Africans I would like to reassure that I normally know where to gather my information. Unfortunately, local lock down regulations change literally by the hour providing that enough people protest and block some vital highways and if you miss a news bulletin you may well commit some sort of crime without knowing. For example walking your dog after 9pm.

In this particular case, we were expecting a new announcement and since I couldn't find fresh news and I was receiving conflicting reports I was seeking help from better informed countrymen.

Fair enough, no long after my post a new announcement was issued and unfortunately Airbnb's are still banned. But they are looking into the matter and by midnight or a few weeks to a decade or so, rules may change again.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/business/361964-new-lockdown-rules-extend-curfew-and-allow-leisure-tr...

The good news is that you only get arrested if you walk your dog after 10pm.

Cheers to all.

Andrea

Lana15
Level 4
Cannon Rocks, South Africa

Hi Andrea. 

I totally understand your question. 

We cannot  expect people form other countries to understand the situation in SA. 

The presiden1cy opened leisure travel for a few days and then tweeted and said it was a mistake. After a few people have already booked. 

Like you say ...news is confusing and hidden . We hope to soon start hosting again. 

Enjoy lovely Stellenbosch.