What is the value of value, especially to a first time guest?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

What is the value of value, especially to a first time guest?

We have been back and forth on pricing. Consistent advice here is that we need to raise our nightly price, and have been pushing it up over time. We had a first time user of Airbnb guest give us a 4 on a recent stay---they were not even booked when our price was what its at now. One of only 2 ever "4s" in the Value category (the other was also a first time Airbnb user) I do wonder what these guests are comparing us to.

Value is, to me, up there with location as the categories that need to be removed. Location is something guests CHOOSE and barring any undisclosed freeways or trains running through the property, I really don't see how it can't just fold under "Accuracy."  I know we have discussed this before...ad nauseum. But I really do wonder what "Value" means to a new user. Compared to a hotel with room service and valet parking? Or an actual inn with breakfast served? We don't call our cottage "luxury" anything though it is nice and well kept. So how are people making this judgment?

Maybe the HAB can get rid of "Value" and "Location"!

43 Replies 43
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Laura2592 we just received a 4 on location with the comment "I wish there was a trail within walking distance." In fact there is one, but the guest stayed for a week and never asked the question. 🙄

@Lisa723 this is yet another reason why that rating is absurd. What were you supposed to do if there WASN'T a trail? Go out and clear one? And why wouldn't the guest ask that before booking if that was a must have? Location needs to go.

@Lisa723  Lately I've been thinking that people in general are getting stupider. Maybe being able to just Google whatever has made the general public's brains lazy. Use it or lose it.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I got a 4 once on value with the comment “Seems to be priced a bit higher than similar places in the area”. My question is, why didn’t they book at one of those places, then? 🤔

@Pat271  And if they haven't stayed at one of those other places, how do they know they are similar? Just because a place sleeps XX number of guests in XX bedrooms and has a pool doesn't mean they are similar in any other way. 

@Pat271 yes I can see that for us. We are one of only a few Airbnbs in a wide area. But we are the only converted schoolhouse made of solid stone 🙂 So you could compare us to guest suite apartments or whole house rentals but its still apples to oranges. 

Ostensibly, guests have criteria for selection. If they want something unique and charming that might be a different cost than a clean but basic place to sleep. If they want a pool or a firepit or a hot tub, again, that will probably be on a different cost scale. 

@Laura2592 @Pat271 Airbnb itself is what promotes this "similar listings" nonsense and plants it in guests' minds.

Places posted as "similar listings" to mine aren't similar at all. One is a 'Monster Truck on the Beach', with a sand/dirt yard and what looks like an outdoor shower with a curtain for walls, some are barren rooms with flat pillows and polyester bedding in the noisiest part of town, and some are much higher priced.

An algorithm is incapable of determining what is similar.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Laura2592  Thanks for raising this topic!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@John5097  I replied to you in appreciation of the work you're doing which is amazing. I love it. A fantastic project. I forgot to tag you but the earlier reply turned up beneath your window pic!! This was a fun thread. Great to share what we've all been doing to our places!!

@Mary996 Really appreciate the positivity! Glad someone liked those pics. 🙂 Appreciated everyone's comments as well. I guess we could all make a little better effort to be more friendly. 🙂 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Totally with you there John.... @John5097 . I really appreciate you and the very positive contribution you make. I haven't been on here for some time so its a pleasure to meet you. How long have you been participating? I have to say that when I was last on here for any length of time, a way back now, I did get some really constructive help with Hosting issues I was having then. Much appreciated. 

@Mary996 I’ve only been posting here a few months. I’m glad others were able to help you sort out whatever issues you were having. My first post here was about a guest giving me my only three star for location. I wanted it removed because a lot of roads were closed due to flooding that was out of my control but no one else saw it that way. But I still think location can be relivent. I notice most listings are not accurate for how long it takes to get into town or the beach, or mention bad traffic for that location. Again I upgraddd my listing with a map that cleared any confusion s few guest had.  So  keep learning and Improving .  

D--Louisa0
Level 2
Whitehorse, Canada

The cleanliness guide is something that is weird. Our place was four and five star until a honeymoon couple first timers, found some crumbs in the futon cover and gave us a two. Airbnb said if we got another two they would kick us out of Airbnb. That was a very unfair rating and I should’ve had an opportunity to reply and save redeem my property rating.

Pjbk0
Level 2
Carlsbad, CA

I agree 100%.  If you are coming to San Diego from Canada, value is perspective.  Guests look at the pricing in the area and book may be according to a feature.  That feature may make the value high for THAT person.  Someone else might not care you are close to the beach or airport...  Take Value off Airbnb.