What is there to do in your area?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

What is there to do in your area?

Anyone get these inquiries? I find them a little puzzling.

I always respond politely with a brief list of attractions but I do wonder how the potential guest happens upon our listing without knowing what there is to do nearby. One assumes they aren't just searching "Keymar MD" (which is where our cottage is) without a reason. We aren't in a popular location. We also list distances to regional and major cities in the listing itself.  Do you get these questions?

24 Replies 24
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I don't think it's strange, @Laura2592 . I think it speaks to the power of a good cover photograph.

"Ooo, I want to stay there!" they say. They book. Then they ask what there is to do. 

@Lawrene0 could be. But these broad questions are typically inquiries for me. They want me to sell them on booking and many never do. Our space is cute and unique but its not in or near a major city. We have some charming regional towns, hiking, wineries, and other rural attractions within a short drive. But that is it.  All of that is in the listing and most of our guests are from the state or neighboring states. It makes sense if its someone from farther out of town who is taken with our photos, but I don't even know where they would run across them.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592 I don't get these questions. Rarely do my guests venture anywhere. It's something I puzzle about often. Here we are, the gateway to heaven (Banff NP) and guests come from as far as 3 hours away, just to hole up. You don't even have to drive to Banff! There is a stunning provincial park a mere 5 minutes drive from the house, and simply amazing adventures to be had in any direction, all within minutes away. It's mind boggling actually. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that guests find the house comfy to cozy up in, but it's just odd to me. I love it when guests do get out and experience adventures. My last two sets of guests were actually the only ones in recent history to do that. The one family were booked in for 3 nights, and the first morning they were up and out early. My hubby heard the security camera alert, looked at me startled and said "do we have a checkout? I thought these guests were in for a few days!" hah, no, they are just being active. 🤣

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592 I wonder if these people are just looking to get out of their own four walls and in their search for something within a reasonable distance, come across your place, which attracts their interest. It might make sense for them to then ask the question of what to do nearby. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Laura2592 Questions like this are one of the reasons why I hate inquiries!

I want guests who come with a plan and a reason. "We have always wanted to explore XYZ and now is a perfect time." "Coming to be lazy and find a good meal." I don't want guests with the attitude of We'll come if you can persuade us there is something to do.

@Emilia42 yes I always feel like the guests who ask this are expecting concierge service. I have had a few over the years. One couple wanted us to pick them up and show them around. Airbnb is a lot more self-catering than a hotel stay where there may be tours that meet in the lobby or a full scope of amenities and options available to book through the front desk. We have a cute, clean space with interesting history, records, books and games. That is about all we can offer. The rest is up to the guest to entertain themselves. 

Ah yes, I see what everyone means, @Laura2592 . I still think it is the photo doing the attracting for that. You'd be surprised where they find you! I am surprised to see the blogs and "Top 7" (or whatever) articles in Narcity, etc. Not always with up-to-date or even reasonably accurate information, but does the trick apparently, and allows a trickle of income, hopefully, for the writers of those things...

Anyway, I see more now why it looks like "persuade me to come" rather than "ooo, I love it; what can I do here?" These aren't questions after booking, they are inquiries in the Airbnb sense. I missed that bit.

Concierge service indeed! My funniest not only wanted to know what to do, but if I would pick him up at his house (three hours away) to come, drive him around to things (not sure what -- what did I suggest?) while here, and drive him home again. 

I'll let you guess my answer. 🙂

@Emilia42 Yes, inquiries are usually from people who are noncommittal and or lazy. You can't help but love the guest who is the opposite, just ready to book and go.

@Colleen253 That's why I love my instant booking guests. They see the listing, like what they see, and book it. No questions asked 🙂

@Laura2592 Nobody has ever asked me what there is to do in Berlin, but I sure would have fun answering if somebody did. 👿

@Anonymous  Rightly or wrongly, I always think “racy” when I think of Berlin. An unfair stereotype, I’m sure, but it would be fun for you to run with that with some choice verbiage. 🙂

@Pat271  Berlin has earned that stereotype pretty well. Most of the raciness has been suspended for a year - some of the wild club venues are now being used as testing and vaccination centers.

Don't tell grandma what kind of things we used to do on that dancefloor where she's getting her shot.... 

Ha, @Anonymous ! Like grandma isn't looking at that dancefloor with nostalgia for what she got up to in the sixties. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Anonymous 

I can relate. We are in Mallorca, and it's rare if anyone asks what there is to do. They already have their plan before even looking for accommodation. 

But we get silly questions like "do you supply bed clothes, or do we bring our own? ", or "do you have a coffee machine of some type?" (there are 2, actually). Do you have WiFi? TV? It's all written in the listing. Just read it. 

But we get a few doozies. One of my favourites was "my husband is a picky eater. Is there a Burger King nearby? ".

Another Hall of Famer is "can I bring eggs and bacon on the plane? ". 

Someone recently asked "can we use the bathrooms normally? " (Whatever that means).  

It's one of the more amusing sides of hosting.