What is this level thing? Are we Pokemons now?

Maria0
Level 1
West Kensington, London, UK

What is this level thing? Are we Pokemons now?

Well, this is certainly different and quite impersonal... What is this Level thing? Are we back at primary school? Being labelled superhosts or now with numbers? The superhost status is ridiculous too. 

65 Replies 65

@Emilia42  I always thought reading and writing went hand-in-hand, but apparently not.

@Sarah977 @Emilia42 

Re, no perks to being level 10 - certainly not for CC members who joined later, but there definitely are for earlier members. When the old groups were disbanded and the CC was being set up, many hosts who had been very active in Groups #1 were less than happy (to say the least!) at the turn of events, which would basically take autonomy and the running of the various host forums away from hosts themselves, and instead, transfer the control over tone and content of hosts' contributions into the hands of Airbnb itself. 

Inevitably, there was much talk about hosts boycotting the CC altogether, so in a desperate attempt to migrate the most active and knowledgeable contributors, Airbnb made it abundantly clear that posters who were willing to play ball, would be "algorithmically rewarded" (exact words)

I clarified this with an Airbnb Country Manager at the time, who confirmed that yes, CC contributors who fit certain criteria would indeed enjoy priority placement and support. 

It's no coincidence that some longer-term members of the CC rarely - if ever - have an issue remaining healthily booked, and always seem to receive efficient, competent customer support (even when equally accomplished hosts in their neighbourhoods can't get bookings for love nor money, or even get a response from CX, let alone support.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Just basic gamification. 

Eileen334
Level 2
San Jose, CA

Please tell me too. I'm a 1.

There are 4 pages of answers to the question in this thread. Actually reading them might be a good idea.

@Eileen334

@Sarah977 

Yes, but that requires to scroll back to previous pages. That's a lot of work.