What is too picky about how a guest leaves your place.?

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

What is too picky about how a guest leaves your place.?

Hi all....just wondering what is the limit for you to leave a review about how they left the place.  For instance, crumbles, maybe they missed the wastebasket and left stuff on the floor, kitchen sink splatter with coffee, something dripped in the floor here and there and not wiped up, that kind of thing.  It really pisses me off but is it something to mention in their review, would you mention stuff like that.  I was thinking I'd just say something about they could have been a bit more tidy.?  They were here one night a couple days ago.  I don't bake anymore for a nice little Welcome since Covid.  I started putting snack bags of a few different popcorn instead, these people had bits of popcorn everywhere, coffee drips, they emptied the ice cube trays and left them in the freezer, along with an empty ice cube bin and a few other things what some may consider nitpicky, maybe, that's the question.  What's your limit.?

65 Replies 65
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Wende2  hi! Good to see you in the forum.

Having stayed in your charming place (and appreciating the popcorn) I would say you are pretty clear about what your expectations are and prevention of pests.  A lot of guests have very different standards in their own homes, obviously. We had a group stay that did not close the back door when they exited and left various Atkins drink containers crushed under the bed, deep fried a chicken with the attendant grease everywhere (and smell) and left every single towel in the place wet on the floor.  The guest had actually messaged me when they checked out saying that they had straightened the place up and tried to leave it like their own home. I shudder to think what their own home might be like. 

In your case, they just sound messy. I would probably rate them low on cleaning and following house rules (you have signs posted.) My review would likely state that they were pleasant but required a little extra clean up after their departure. 

@Laura2592  Hi....that's just outrageous.!  Another thing I've wondered is, if we click no not to host again if that hides us in their search, I like to it does.  It just pisses me off that it's my property not a hotel, if I walked into what you just described I'd want to hunt them down, of course I wouldn't, but sure as hell would like to.  Hope all is well up there.!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Wende2 I would consider the things you mention to be a normal consequence of hosting- some people are more slovenly than others, it sort of balances out with the ones who leave it quite clean and tidy. Kitchen sink splattered with coffee? So what, it's a sink, you're going to clean it anyway.

If the place is a generally messy disaster, or you have a check-out list they ignored, 

I think it's fine leave the wording you mentioned, or "Cleaning up after themselves a bit more would have been appreciated.

@Sarah977   Hi.....I figured as much, just wanted to ask and get it off my chest.  I don't get that people spill stuff and don't at least wipe it up before it dries a sticky mess.  Leaving the ice cube trays empty, would have been nice had they been in the sink or on the counter.  They will be getting a ding for cleanliness.  I just walk around the place saying... why..WHY.!?  It's also amazing to me how nosy some people are, I had someone take the little key that turns the lamp on & off try and open the desk, even tho the desk clearly asked not to try and open it, it's broken...again WHY!?  Thanks for your reply.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Wende2 

It really doesn't bother me when guests leave something dirty/used when I have to clean it anyway. For instance, I have to bleach/scrub the bathroom sink between each guest, I don't care if there is toothpaste left in it. If there are a few spills/drips of coffee on the kitchen counter, I'm wiping them all down anyway. 

But I do tend to give less than great reviews when I sense a lack of respect for the space. Like when the bed looks like someone jumped on it with their shoes on or when trash is left on every surface and not in the garbage can where it should be. For these messier guests, I will write "cleaning after the stay took longer than the allotted cleaning fee."

@Emilia42 I second your thoughts re the more obvious demonstrations of lack of respect. And I would want to know that about a guest, and may decline them because of it. I may be interested to know a guest was super untidy, leaving crumbs, spills, and the like, but that wouldn’t put me off hosting them. @Wende2 

@Colleen253  Hi...I hate to admit I've been guilty of leaving the...read between lines type of reviews.  Honestly don't know why, it's not like I care if those guest come back.  The disrespect they have of staying in someones property is getting old.  This past yr had the most nosy sloppy people.  I had someone take the little key that turns the lamp on & off try and open the desk, even tho the desk clearly asked not to try and open it, it's broken...WHY!? trust me you aren't going to find a treasure trove in there.  The drawers don't close that easy either so I know when they've been opened, it's somewhat of a booby trap LOL.  Thanks for letting me know what your review would say.

@Emilia42  Hi....yes I agree, it's when it's everywhere that gets me, on the microwave even the kitchen window, speaking of which, even had fish scales on the window once.  Before Covid I wasn't all that concerned about the toothpaste in the sink either, even tho I still think it's something they could just rinse clean themselves.  Just seems like if you're staying in someones home/apt, you could/would be a bit more respectful that's all, but of course that's how I'd be.  Truth is I haven't had that many I'd never want to see come back, but the ones I hope to never see again I really hope to NEVER.  We have a couple Triathlons here and once I thought the guy washed his bike in the tub, it had a black ring that took forever to get gone, that's the kind of thing I wish they'd be considerate enough to clean themselves. 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Like @Emilia42, for me there is a difference between being a bit messy and being disrespectful. I charge a significant cleaning fee, so I don’t expect the place to be left in perfect condition.  However, I do have the following in my House Rules:

“Please relax and enjoy the unit, free from the responsibilities of heavy household chores during your stay. However, please respect that the unit is the owner’s home, and minimal cleanup such as disposing of trash and left-over food, wiping up spills, etc. is greatly appreciated.”

Also, as part of the check-out instructions, I ask that the guests remove all of their trash from the unit and wash their dishes, as bugs can be a problem in tropical climates.  I also ask them to close and lock windows, doors, turn off lights, etc. (This seems obvious, but it’s amazing how some guests apparently don’t think it is!)

These rules seem to be adequate, but even if they are breached a little, I don’t feel that if I have to wipe up crumbs or coffee spatter on the counter, it means that I had a bad guest worthy of reproach.

@Pat271Hi...yep it's the disrespect that gets me, you're in someones property not a hotel, not that I'd even leave a hotel in the shape some leave my apt.  It's when there's stuff especially sticky drips everywhere, just wish they'd wipe that before it dries to a hard mess, just leave the ice cube trays in the sink or on the counter,  I once had fish scales on the kitchen window.  It's been some really doozies here this past yr.  Thanks for your list, I'll be adding a few.

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

@Wende2 I am really lenient, most people have been very respectful, but my last group of guys managed to severely dirty my pans.  Something I cherish. I didn't put in a claim because I'm almost positive I can restore them, but its definitely going to take time.  My Le Crusuet has burn marks inside, my All Clad has burn marks on outside, and my Griswald has rust.  I figure if they can last many years, a group of guys is not going to ruin them, Im practicing patience. I haven't reviewed yet.  I provide popcorn too, but as long as I have to vacuum, it doesn't really matter to me whats on the floor and Ive never had anyone refill the ice cubes.  As long as they leave it fairly decent, I'm good, because you have to clean everything anyway.  But my pans are a little distressing ;(

@Michelle1851 Sorry your pans got ruined 😢 I gasped at 'Le Creuset', and fell over when you got to 'Griswald' 😱

Airbnb and cherished items do not go together. Remove your treasured pans to restore them and replace with something that has no meaning to you.

True words @Colleen253 !   Kinda like betting the horses, only money you can afford to lose!  Stay well, JR

@Michelle1851 Get a set of inexpensive stainess steel cookware. IMO it's the best choice for rentals. If they burn something in it, BarKeepers Friend will usually take care of it, if it's really bad, oven cleaner.