What is your Airbnb Job Description on your CV/Resume?

What is your Airbnb Job Description on your CV/Resume?

After a quick search, very few profiles on LinkedIn have descriptions about their jobs as hosts for Airbnb. Job descriptions highlight the primary responsibilities, requirements, qualifications and challenges of a given job. In short, a job description will tell you what your future employer will expect from you, highlight some skills you've achieved, as well as what you can expect from your employer if you were to come to work for them.  How would your Airbnb Host job description read on your CV/Resume?  

25 Replies 25

I am going to strongly disagree with you on this part, having an air bnb property is not a hobby. Speaking for myself I work extremely hard and dedicate customer service and hospitality to my guests. Scheduling special arrangements. It shows you are personable and take pride in your work ( air bnb ) that you do not take it as a joke and call it a hobby. That is also offensive. Nonetheless you are entitled to your opinion. You should also convey to your employer you have already made arrangements for you air bnb duties to be taken care of during the times you are working, this way the understand it will not interfere with this company. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Hannah459 

It is certainly not offensive to call Airbnb a 'hobby' if that is what it is for some hosts.  Hosts can take pride in their airbnb hosting without seeing it as their full time business.

I would say the vast, vast majority of hosts of single listings have other income streams other than STRs.

And it is none of my employer's business how I manage by Airbnb responsibilities why on earth would I feel the need to tell them how I run it....very strange 🙂

By the way @Hannah459  as someone who prides themselves as an exemplary hosts it's worth you remembering that Airbnb asks hosts to provide a clear profile photo of themselves not one of their pets or other images. If you want to include your live in pets on your profile it is best to use a photo of you with them.

Hobby, really?! You are a lucky man! 

It's not about the luck. It's just not so profitable activity. But elsewhere, it could be different.

While I value this perspective and can certainly agree on some aspects, I would avoid calling hosting a "hobby", as it may come off as insulting to some. I thought the same way, but the fact is, you are running a business online by communicating with potential guests, managing the platform, ensuring the space is clean and up to standard, and providing a special hospitality experience for a variety of people from around the world.  As a Superhost, I work diligently to ensure my guests are satisfied and the space is always up to par, essentially being my own maid, platform administrator, and guest communications. 

Additionally, I make nearly as much on Airbnb as I do at my full time job, which is helpful as I am making my way through graduate school. 

If it's bringing in money that can provide a life for many, it's not just a hobby. 

WOW. I bet this didn't age well. I think you were misled, or you haven't been successful at this endeavor yourself. I have been making a very lucrative salary without ever leaving my home, and I make money while I sleep. 

Ali11528
Level 1
Islamabad, Pakistan

Excellent!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Definition of "hobby"- "An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure."

Even if one hosts irregularly and doesn't depend on it for a major source of income, it most certainly doesn't fit the definition of a hobby. 

There is nothing pleasurable about cleaning other peoples' hair out of the shower drain or trying to get the bloodstains they left out of the linens.

Saying that just because a host doesn't do it as a full-time money-maker, aiming for full occupancy, relegates it to a hobby, is trivializing the work that goes into it and demeaning those hosts.

It takes the same amount of time to turn over a room if you do it daily as doing so less frequently. Dealing with bookings and guests is no different.

And a hobby is something people would do regardless of whether it involves financial gain. Sometimes a hobby can become a lucrative business, for instance a knitter might be wearing a hat she created, someone admires it and asks where she bought it, and suddenly she's getting orders for hats.

But the basic nature of a hobby is that one would do it basically for themselves no matter what because they find it enjoyable and relaxing.

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

Not all hosts are attempting to pursue a career in hospitality.. just like many Uber drivers are not interested in becoming professional taxi drivers. Many like to keep this as a side gig so that they can pursue careers in other things.

Sierra93
Level 1
New York, NY

What if you've never been an airbnb host before but you have experience with coordinating. does that lessen your chances in your chances of becoming a airbnb host

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Of course not  @Sierra93  anyone can become an Airbnb host you don't need any experience at all. If you own a property check local STR regulations and your lease if you have one and if you are allowed to do STR just sign up.