What is your experience with IB for Private Room?

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

What is your experience with IB for Private Room?

Hi fellow hosts, I am thinking to activate IB for the private rooms that I have. IB has been active for the entire unit listing that I have and it is doing good (need help from airbnb three times so far, but it is because the guest do not want to follow the house rules once I sent the list as soon as they book, and the other two violated airbnb policy), so everything happened and canceled within 1hr-2 days since the reservation got confirmed.

What is your experience with IB for private rooms that you rent out in your house (live-in host)? Do you have a specific strategy/procedure/approach?

Do you have any suggestion/advice for hosts who are considering to activate IB for their private room listing?

14 Replies 14

@Farah1 - We're home-sharers and rent our guest room.  We've always used IB since it was rolled out.  The key, for us, is communication and upfront expectaton setting.  Once a guest has booked, I immediately follow up and review their profile for any potential things we need to address (like if a bunch of the reviews mention a dog - I ask if they are bringing it whether they mentioned it or not).  I ask a lot of questions when I'm not clear on someone's desire to stay with us.  We have Verified ID as a requirement which provides us with a level of comfort to the quality of the guest. We used to require a positive review, but dropped that because we often host new guests. If the whole-house is working out for you, single-room rental  should work out too, as I can't imagine the strategy would be much different.  

Is there something in particular that is worrying you about making this change?  

@Alice-and-Jeff0 thank you for your feedback. I think I am nervous whether they will follow house rules or not and the fact that I won't be able to get any feeling/impression about them prior to having the reservation confirmed. I really value a good communication process and just like you, I ask a lot of questions. Usually, during this communication process/question-answer process is when I get the feeling whether the person will be a good fit or not based on how they respond, what their response is, etc. So, missing the part of "getting to know the guest" is my concern/consideration for not having IB active for the private room so far...

I guess I can always give it a try and see how it goes.

Lina53
Level 9
New York, NY

@Farah1 I've had to cancel a few IB due to guests refusing to directly answer whether they UNDERSTAND and WILL follow the House Rules. I get "I read them" or "I already read and accepted."  

@Lina53 did you contact airbnb to have them cancel from their end? If yes, what was the reason that you use for canceling? If not, how did the cancellation process go?

@Farah1  

1 - Male in early 20s made two consecutive IB reservations. Refused to confirm that he ‘understood’ and ‘will follow’ the house rules… even gave me extreme sass and informed me about Airbnb booking procedures. Explained to me that he was able to book bc he had already ‘read’ and ‘accepted’ (adding "hope this helps!").  Called Airbnb to explain my discomfort, rep canceled, I was charged $50 and my calendar was blocked. Called back.. was told a case manager would contact me. Case manager emails me saying that she does not understand why I felt uncomfortable but will make an exception and to call Airbnb in the future. I wrote back that I had called, rep had cancelled and explained the difference btw:

A)  ‘understanding’ and ‘following’ (confirming directly to host)

vs

B) ‘reading’ and ‘accepting’ (confirming directly to Airbnb, a third party broker)

Thankfully she understood and apologized. My calendar was unblocked and I was not charged a fee.

2) Woman with one review IB for 8 days (3 ppl).  Even though they are coming from a country located about 4,000 miles away, she was unresponsive and vague. I had no idea who was coming and grew concerned after she referred to a 4th person. I called Airbnb about discomfort and concerns about my calendar being blocked by a reservation that probably needs to be cancelled (ie, felt like guest was trying to string me along until a few days before her arrival which is when the real nonsense would begin ... you know, when I will second guess whether cancelling is worth it bc it may be difficult to get another reservation).  Rep suggested giving her another chance by writing a very concise bullet points list of questions I needed answered. I waited 24 hours for a response before cancelling. Called Airbnb again but was asked to cancel on my own, which I did. No issues at all!

My advice is to document everything and call Airbnb for advice before cancelling.

@Lina53 For #2, did you cancel on your own? What reason did you use?

@Farah1  

Yes, I cancelled on my own. I selected “I do not feel comfortable with this guest.” I wrote something like “I'm certain you will find another place more suitable for your needs and communication style.”  Guest wrote back I don't understand?  [guest can call Airbnb for an explanation].  I am not willing to put up with nonsense. If a guest, who wants to stay in my home, cannot spare 3 minutes writing me than I cannot spare longer than 10 minutes trying to get answers. I’ve hosted people from around the world and welcome any person who is respectful, clean and will be considerate of me and my home. I am not concerned with any claims of discrimination because I give plenty of opportunities for guests to respond and my house rules are very clear. Airbnb wants hosts to use IB… fine. But I will cancel every single reservation I do not feel comfortable with.

So messaged guest the same day she booked: no response. Followed up 3 days later specifically saying that I'd like to chat a bit to make sure my place will be a great fit for them. Also asked her to confirm that they ‘understand’ house rules. I got: We've agreed with all house rules and that won't be a problem (how difficult is it to say you understand?? I let it go just in case it was a language issue). Then she asked me a few questions and vaguely mentioned a 4th person. I responded with direct questions about arrival time, names of guests, confirming exactly how many guests are coming, etc. No response! I called Airbnb to say exactly what I wrote earlier.  Took rep's advice and wrote a bullet list of specific questions. No response (we are in the same time zone by the way). So I called Airbnb to say I’m done and was asked to cancel myself.

@Lina53 and canceling under “I do not feel comfortable with this guest.” is allowed with no penalty?

@Farah1   

That’s the cancellation policy for hosts using IB (that is for any reservation made via IB).

I have copy pasted the link and sent screenshots to Airbnb when addressing concerns. How can reps dispute what the website states?

I have not found a phone number for Airbnb  Please share

My main question on IB is with regard to number of guests. I had my first experience of one person showing up with an extra guest which I wasn't planning for. I accommodated (thankfully I had the extra bed) but can a host refuse a guest who shows up with extra folks and maybe an air mattress of their own? My listing states pet free so if a guest were to show up with an animal, I would definitely not accept them but will AB&B back me up? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Even without IB, bringing more people than what's on the reservation violates Airbnb policy. I don't know how good the company honor and support hosts in this case, but theoretically hosts are allowed not to allow guests who bring more people than what's on the reservation to check-in.

May be in both the description and in house rules sections have something like " No other guests or visitors beyond those registered on reservation."  Also in HR say something like, confirmed guest must confirm they understand and will follow the HR by sending a message directly to me. (If they do not, then you can easily cancel bc this constitutes a HR violation).

Most importantly when you are chatting with guests ask them to provide the exact number of guests on the reservation and their names.  Then say that these are the guests who will be allowed inside your home.   Adding, you currently have 4 registered guests so if there are any changes in the count you need to be given noticed at least 2 days in advance.  If you are notified about extra guest, immediately alter the reservation and give them 24 hours to accept.  If they do not, send a polite message saying only __ will be allowed inside because the extra guest has not been accounted for, etc.  

We do IB for a private room in our home. We recommend you have very solid house rules and send them to the guest before they arrive. We also confirm that they booked a room and bath in a shared home and that we have cats. We do this one week before so they can find another place if it doesn't work. Sometimes they IB only a couple days before if we somehow have an opening, so you have to converse with them right away.

We no longer take solo males or duo males - only female or female/male parties. We do not take locals or anyone under 25. It's our home and we know what kind of guest we prefer and make it very clear. I have had no issues canceling or declining.