What is your favourite local destination?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What is your favourite local destination?

ti2wu64_normal.jpg

Hi everyone,

In times like this, when it is more difficult to travel internationally (if at all), I think it is time to reclaim the beauty we can find in our own countries of residence.

Why not be each other's passport, taking a virtual journey through our shared photographs and experiences? 

What is your favourite destination within your country?

Wherever you are in the world I would love to know more about your favourite local travelling destinations. 

Maybe we can give ourselves some good ideas for our next respective trips by discovering places which we would not have thought of visiting otherwise.🙂

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Nick

94 Replies 94

Hi @Helen350 . Picture 4 is from Nesebar. Small city on the coast of the Black sea. Part of the ruins are Roman, some of them are older, than the Romans.

Amazing is right @Helen350 , wow, can you imagine when someone decided to grow the castle there, "No really?  You want to live where?"    The church is beautiful @Dimitar27 , some of the shots remind me of Greece.  

@Melodie-And-John0there is a Wikipedia page about this castle. The castle itself is not preserved. Only the church and some walls:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asen%27s_Fortress

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Kovachavitsa and Nessebar would be great for a future visit! Thanks @Dimitar27 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I have a friend who hosts, who sometimes uses her Superhost voucher to book a caravan on the beach just a 20 minute drive from her house. It's just a nice break for her, a change of scene, and she can forget about her long list of things to do for a couple of days, relax and read a book, and enjoy walks and sunsets at the beach. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I'm lucky to live 5 miles outside The Lake District, England's most popular National Park. The Lake in the 2nd & 3rd last photos is 9 miles from home and the Lake in the last photo 12 miles. (Somehow these photos ended up at the bottom!)  - But I think my PREFERRED holiday destination would be Narrow Boating, on England's canals. A lesser known, but beautiful & tranquil option..... - Of course hiring a Narrow Boat for a week doesn't get you staying in an airbnbAAirbnbAirbnShropshire Union CanalShropshire Union CanalCanal side pubCanal side pubLift bridge, Llangollen CanalLift bridge, Llangollen CanalLlangollen Canal, Wrenbury, CheshireLlangollen Canal, Wrenbury, Cheshire Ennerdale WaterEnnerdale WaterEnnerdaleEnnerdaleCrummock Water, 12 miles  from homeCrummock Water, 12 miles from home

Helen350
Level 10

....... Of course, if you want to Airbnb whilst exploring the canals, you could do a long distance walk   down the towpath, and stay in Airbnbs rather than on a boat! (Assuming there are Airbnbs nearby!)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This looks lovely @Helen350. Out of interest, have you ever been over the Pontcysyllte Aquaduct whilst out on your canal boat travels? I've walked across it many time, on my way to Cumbria before. Quite an impressive piece of engineering. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helen350
Level 10

I must have crossed it 6 times on a boat @Lizzie ! - Twice with my parents (out & back) when I was 12.... (Had nightmares afterwards, about falling off!) Then when I was in my mid 30s, a youth camp I'd worked for in Ireland put out a call for narrow boat drivers for a re-union week.. We hired boats from Trevor, at the end of the aquaduct, & spent the weekend practising - out & back over the aquaduct. Then with the kids Mon - Fri, it was another 2 crossings; start & end of the week. Happy days! - On my own now, so no one to boat with, sadly.

I just checked that out @Lizzie , wow, a feat of engineering for sure, like a giant water park ride!  Very cool, JR

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It sure is @Melodie-And-John0

Wow, that's great to hear @Helen350 - I bet that was one heck of an experience. I aways use to dream of going on a canal holiday (probably came from my love of the children's TV program Rosie and Jim!). 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Stephanie_0-1590774550312.png

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Lizzie   there is a waterway from UK to the Black sea. For sure- from the east side of UK -London, Ipswich, etc. but I have no idea about the internal waterways in UK. Some of our locals are deep in the boat business-they are buying used boats from UK and then transport them to Bulgaria and Romania. They are crossing the La Manche , then from Belgium to Netherlands (Rotterdam), and then, using the Rhine-Maine-Danube waterway, arriving at one of the Black sea ports.

It takes more then 2 months in one direction, but it's twice cheaper to transport the boat this way, than to pull it on a trailer across EU.

Helen350
Level 10

Wow @Dimitar27 ! LOVE the idea of some of our English narrowboats cruising down the Rhine/Main/Danube and living out their days in Bulgaria..... But the thought of them crossing the English Channel (La Manche) OR ending up on the Black Sea??

As far as I know these narrowboats are not seaworthy, being too flat bottomed to be stable in waves..... I guess it would need to be a calm day to cross the Channel ..... It would be an amazing experience tho'.... 🙂

They are motorboats...not barges or house boats.

For fishing, ex patrol ships, etc.