What is your favourite local destination?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What is your favourite local destination?

ti2wu64_normal.jpg

Hi everyone,

In times like this, when it is more difficult to travel internationally (if at all), I think it is time to reclaim the beauty we can find in our own countries of residence.

Why not be each other's passport, taking a virtual journey through our shared photographs and experiences? 

What is your favourite destination within your country?

Wherever you are in the world I would love to know more about your favourite local travelling destinations. 

Maybe we can give ourselves some good ideas for our next respective trips by discovering places which we would not have thought of visiting otherwise.🙂

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Nick

94 Replies 94
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Yes I know they (narrowboats) are motorboats, @Dimitar27 , even the ones which are houseboats have engines, cos in most areas of canal it's illegal to STAY in one place, you have to keep moving! My point was, English narrowboats were designed for FLAT, calm water, on tiny narrow canals where it's not possible for the wind to make waves... On a rough sea, they would capsize... because the hull is nearly flat; a very shallow 'V'.

- Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them on the sea....

- Or maybe, it's not canal boats, but river boats with  a more stable hull that go to Bulgaria?

Yes, @Helen350 ...they are riverboats. They need at least 1,5-2 m. water depth.  I had no idea  about the bottom difference 😞

Helen350
Level 10

Sorry to be such a nerd, @Dimitar27 ! - I expect we've all had enough of boats now! 🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

SASSAFRAS , GuernseySASSAFRAS , Guernsey

Orakei Marina, AucklandOrakei Marina, Auckland

Looking towards Orakei, Mission Bay, AucklandLooking towards Orakei, Mission Bay, Auckland

How about a canal cruise on one of these @Nick @Yannis37 @Melodie-And-John0 @Ann72

@Dimitar27 @Helen350 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Stephanie @Francesca2

@Cathie19 @Laura2484 @Ria16 @J-Renato0@Miloud0 @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Fred13 ?

All the money tied up in boats and tied up and nowhere to go during arbitrary lockdowns across the world.

The Sassafras, Guernsey takes up two berths at the Orakei Marina, Auckland, many of the others were either locally owned or from places like Tahiti, New Caledonia, Rarotanga.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sign me up @Helen427 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Helen350  Great and interesting pictures! Beatiful nature!

I thought the idea of narrow-boating very interesting.

Do you narrow boating on a tour or on your own. Meaning, do you reserve a narrowboat and drive/guide  it?

I did a search and I saw that in Airbnb that are some narrowboat listings !

It must be wonderful to stay in one! 

Helen350
Level 10

Hi @J-Renato0 ! - Most people who don't own their own boat hire one for a week or two & drive it themselves. The hire company gives you a short lesson when you pick the boat up, if you've never done it before. A few companies offer a boat with skipper/crew - which must be REALLY expensive, but most people enjoy doing it themselves.

- It would make a good Airbnb 'experience', wouldn't it?

Helen350
Level 10

@J-Renato0  https://www.canaljunction.com/canal/maps.htm  - You can see the famous, amazing Pontcysyllte Aquaduct , (which Lizzie mentioned ) on this site, below the title.

- Would be good to have a whole load of Narrow Boat Airbnbs, a day's walk apart, for those who want a scenic walking holiday - on the flat!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Helen350

Thanks for the link. Great atractions! Thanks for introducing me to the amazing Pontcysyllte Aqueduct ! 

If some day I visit England again, certainly I will try narrow boating! 🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Great to see a couple of dogs out and about @Helen350 , are they both yours?

if so what are there names?

Awesome places to see from across the miles.

Helen350
Level 10

Just the border collie is mine @Helen427  - Ben, same as my profile pic. 🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

So Ben met a cheeky little Jack Russell on his travels @Helen350 ?

They have a tendency to jolly well keep on popping up everywhere.

I wonder, how many border collies are there in the UK?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

We need to discuss about this place a bit further @Helen350 

Give me a sec to inform @Stephanie and @Lizzie for a few annual leave days 🙂

Helen350
Level 10

Not before 4 July at the earliest @Nick !   😄 😄 😄

One of my personal favorites is  Tongyeong - a small town on the southern coast of S.Korea. And when at Tongyeong, there are many smaller islands to visit nearby. My most recent trip included a night at Somaemuldo. 

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/south-korea-islands/index.html

screenshot from link - Somaemuldoscreenshot from link - Somaemuldo

This area in general is a popular destination among Koreans but not a lot of foreigner tourists yet. I'm at the office now......so I'll share a few personal photos from my own trips later when I get home :-))