What is your favourite piece of furniture in your listing?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

What is your favourite piece of furniture in your listing?

Jenny_0-1656324990847.jpeg

Hello everyone!

I know how much time and effort you all put into your listings, carefully choosing and maintaining the furniture and decor that you hope will delight your guests.

It must be so exciting to create a space to be enjoyed by other people! 

I’d love to know what your favourite piece of furniture from your listing is!

Do you have a favourite sofa, discovered in a vintage store, or have you perhaps recycled a lamp you saved from a house clearance?  Maybe you’ve invested in something brand new, just for the guest experience?

Please let us know in the comments about your most coveted piece of furniture used in your listing!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

41 Replies 41
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

What a dream to have that much space! I guess there are pros and cons to each location. Where I live, I sometimes find quality furniture on the street (not truly valuable antiques though) and where you live, you have enough room to turn a stable into a spray booth 🙂 I can't imagine having 18 stables sitting empty. Have you thought about converting them? I am sure that would be a big project needing a substantial budget, but I once had a crazy idea about that... not sure why. I have never owned stables.

Mmm, I wonder if that coffee table is still there... For sure I would have picked it up if I had even temporary space for it, but it is big (would have had to rope one of my guests into helping me carry it). I must resist the temptation though. I have no need for another coffee table and already have a backlog of furniture that's awaiting an upcycle and other painting to do.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Huma0 wrote:

@Gillian166 

Have you thought about converting them? I am sure that would be a big project needing a substantial budget, but I once had a crazy idea about that... not sure why. I have never owned stables.

well it could be an impressive OMG application....although 100K probably wouldn't go far enough. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

The stables I saw had stalls kind of like this one, but I remember the partitions being higher and I think a higher ceiling. They were also totally unrestored, so not in as good condition as these, but I really liked the detail of the old metal.

0221m120008otn0gy0CAF_R_800_525.jpg copy.jpg

I remember thinking that this could make a really cool hostel dorm room, but one with more privacy than most as the partitions were high and you could have even put some sort of curtains or screens across the front that people could close if needed. I really had a very clear picture in my mind of how it could look.

Not sure that one would get a ROI for that though. I guess it would depend on the location and the market there, if you needed to think about heating the space in colder weather etc. Of course, there would also need to be bathroom facilities available.

Anyway, I am sure you have better ideas that are much more OMG.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Huma0   our stables are quite large, not as pretty as that. We are in chats with a whiskey maker to rent them out as a storage facility (each bay has a lockable sliding doors) with a potential use as a venue. We did toy with the same idea you had, of doing cheap n cheerful accommodation, but honestly that seemed dubious. "cheap and cheerful" is not really what you do in a wine region. (not that "expensive and wanky" is my style either, haha).

and yes, I have a better OMG idea.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm so pleased, @Gillian166, thank you for letting me know.  

Time to get a snack and catch up on all the discussion now!

-----

Gosh @Gillian166 < you have such a golden opportunity to rope some horsey set people to stay in your lovely ABB.

Perhaps you could rope a few others in in your community to organize a horse trek in your location - maybe like they did back in the 1800's and on a heritage trail...

It's one way of putting the region on the map and limelight.

@Catherine-Powell @Brian @Jenny @Stephanie perhaps this is something we could do world-wide with Horses  and 1800's Heritage as a focus??

@Helen427  we've previously done LTR to horsey people and are OVER THEM. 

No,no, no @Gillian166 , I definitely don't mean LTR,  I mean if they are just passing through on a weekend tour maybe to a Horse event in the area your place would be great to stay at for a weekend or day or two - with conditions they clean up of course.

Horse manure is great for the garden and there must be some in your area who would be grateful to pass by and clean it up and take it away!!

ah, yes, @Helen427   that's a possibility. a few years ago when there was that Cavalia show going around we had an enquiry to host most of their horses, which would have been an amazing gig, but we weren't able to make it happen. 

I actually do have a note about stable hire alongside one of my listings, not sure how else to highlight it, i'll do some research. none of us are very horsey though, and daily feeding and rugging of horses would be a challenge, esp for the paltry $30 fee you get. there's quite a few places in my region that do this as it's a v horsey space, although i only know of 1 other place that has accom + agistment. It's a pity you can't search by region + a keyword on airbnb. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hahaha @Huma0 I absolutely love when you and @Gillian166 get talking about furniture!  I can't deny that there was a little inspiration, but please don't ever stop those little moments you have!

Your photos are making me very envious, as I would love to have a place with wooden flooring and lovely big windows!  There's only so much I can do with a rental - I never want to invest too much in case I have to move!

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jenny 

I know I am very lucky to have this house. It was a rare find. I don't know how many houses I looked at before, but when I finally saw this house, I knew it was the one! It was in a terrible state, but had so much potential. You couldn't see the wooden floors because they were covered in old carpet, but the high ceilings, big windows and French doors definitely had a wow factor. Never mind that the windows were about to fall out of the walls!

It is difficult when you are renting. There isn't much point investing and usually (in the UK anyway) there isn't a lot you are allowed to do decor wise. Also, most flats here come with all the basic furniture. I also never bought any furniture when I was renting, but couldn't stop myself from buying small bits and pieces for my future home. My poor parents had to put up with me stashing those at their house 🙂

There are, however, quite a few tutorials and tips on YouTube and Pinterest etc. about ways to jazz up a rental without spending a lot of money or upsetting your landlord, e.g. removable wallpaper.

@Jenny 

I think it is the Stressless Recliner with footstool that we have for the guests. Or maybe the 200 year old 4 seasons Chinese chest. The round antique Italian marble ice cream parlor table that we have set up for dining. The 100 year old handmade huge deco Nichols rug from China? It is like silk on bare feet, and too large for our part of the house. It is all part of making a magical and very comfortable space for guests to enjoy!