What items do you think are necessary in the bathroom?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What items do you think are necessary in the bathroom?

Must-have items in the bathroom.png

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all well.

Recently, I have been seeing lots of wonderful posts from hosts giving each other feedback about their listings and how they could improve in terms of what they provide their guests. Today, I thought it would be interesting to ask which items you feel are essential in the bathroom for guests? What do you provide in your bathroom? Maybe you think that providing soap and at least one roll of toilet paper is a must but that's it, or perhaps you provide everything they could possibly need (shampoo, conditioner, cleanser, cotton wool pads etc.....)

Feel free to share your experiences and any tips and tricks :-). 

I look forward to seeing your replies!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

43 Replies 43
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I provide a towel, washcloth and cup, along with shelf and hook for each guest.

Hand soap, hand towel, tissues and a stack of washcloths for makeup removal. I leave one hand towel per group; which seems fine for most people. Occasionally I get guests who think that's gross & ask for more - would love to know other opinions on this.

There's a shower dispenser full of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash.

Under the sink are more varieties of hair/body wash, 4-5 rolls of TP and a hair dryer.

A lidded trash bin, plunger, and toilet brush.

Not really items, but the two things I get the most comments on are the heated floor and bluetooth speaker built into the bath fan!

*runs off to google blue tooth speaker exhaust fan*

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Allison2 I love the Bluetooth speaker! Nothing is better than starting your day with some good music 🙂 

-----

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I host short stays in a private room/bathroom.  In the bathroom I provide:

3 rolls of toilet tissue

1 box of kleenex

Full size bottles of Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, Shaving Cream, and & Face Wash (all Trader Joes and well recieved)

Full size luxury liquid hand soap and lotions

First Aid Kit, Hair Dryer, toothpaste, and some other random products that guests have left are under the sink. 

Hanging - a standard hand towel.

Available - two face clothes and additional hand towels.

Plunger/brush next to toilet

Rubbish bin with compostable liners. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Willow3

I always seem to forget my toothpaste when I go on holidays—it's great to see that you include this 🙂 

-----

We provide everything: shampoo, conditioner, body wash, towels, hand towels, washcloths, toilet paper, tissues, hand soap, hair dryer, toothbrush holder, q-tips, razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes, sanitary items, etc. It's the worst when you travel and forget things.

I agree that its the worst when your traveling and these are the type of items you forget! Seems like that would get very pricey providing all those items. I do provide most of that in my casita thats attatched to my house but its only 2 people and I charge a premium rate and its easy to restock but all my other property's are up to 6-7 guests. Have you kept track of how much money you spend on these items? Do you get good feedback because you do supply these items? Do you charge a premium or maybe just include this cost in your cleaning fee?

Thanks
Hollie

Maureen116
Level 4
British Columbia, Canada

I think a bath towel, hand towel, face cloth, toilet paper and soap are essential. 

I have the following for my guest: a full set of towels, bar soap at the sink, liquid soap in the shower, 2in1 shampoo/conditioner, toilet paper, tooth paste, a disposable razor, dental floss, scale, hair dryer, hand lotion, water glass, tissues, fresh bath mat, q-tips, make-up remover pads. There are extra towels and toilet paper in the closet, and Vim and other cleaning supplies under the sink, in case the guest wants to tidy up and bit (not required, but it is surprising how often they do!) 

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

I have a 2 part answer. First, what do I think are absolutely essential, at a minimum at even the cheapest airbnbs for 1 night - shampoo, conditioner, soap, toilet paper, 2 of each bath towel, hand towel and washcloth.  

What do I provide? A whole lot more because I what guests to feel like they are staying in luxury.  I provide high end shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body lotion, hair dryer, flat iron, curling iron, hair spray, mouthwash, sun screen, shaving cream, tissue, paper cups, q-tips, cotton balls, eye glass wipes, hand soap, spray deodorant, hair mouse, first aid kit and homemade sugar and salt scrubs.  Plus bath mat, 6 bath towels,  4 beach towels, 8 hand towels and 12 wash cloths.  If a couple is staying more than 3-4 days, I absolutely expect that everything will need to be washed and replaced for the remainer of their stay.  I don't understand hosts that get annoyed if someone uses a lot of towels.  It does not cost more to wash 6 towels vs 3 and I much rather share my house with someone who values cleanliness than is a slob.  

Sounds like my kind of place! I thought I provided alot but you really go all out! How do you have your salt and sugar scrubs? Individually wrapped or do people mind that others are using the same product or is it a squeeze tube? Have you ever done a cost breakdown of how much you spend on all those extras? Do you charge a premium or do you add it to your cleaning fee. I want to stand out and be the best and provide lots of amenities just not sure how much to add.

Thank you,

Hollie

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Toilet paper comes first - nice, soft toilet paper. Nice, fluid hand soap and a hand towel. Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel. One bath towel, one hand towel and one facecloth per person. More in the drawers if needed. Wipes, facial (make-up remover) and baby wipes (multi purpose), q-tips, cotton pads, disposable razors, tooth mugs.

Little goodies in the drawer like body lotion, more shower gels in case someone just hates L'Occitane 😉

A washable bath math like the ones they have in hotels and spare ones in the drawer.  The bath math is the little extra bathroom essential I miss the most when staying in airbnb accomodations. There is a bath math where I am staying now, but these are real pros running some sort of boutique aparthotel.

Forgot! We also supply two bathrobes. We have a max of two guests. This keeps them from walking around in towels (or less).

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Todd-and-Reese0, this is a great idea! How do your guests find this? 

-----

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

This is an interesting thread - makes me realize I need to add some cups!  I provide makeup remover wipes since I had several nice white towels and washcloths ruined by makeup.  I also use Trader Joe's body wash, it's minty and refreshing and gender-neutral. I provide common over the counter meds - aspirin, tylenol, ibuprofen, alka seltzer, pepto bismol type stomach tabs, bandaids, sunscreen, antibiotic ointment, and allergy pills but those are in a drawer in the kitchen. Many people have commented on that and it seems very appreciated. 

I was using single ply TP (what we use in our house) but one guest (who also is a host) mentioned that he thought better TP was important, so I switched over to thicker double ply TP (charmin etc., whatever's on sale!) and no one has commented since.  I put out a towel for everyone but there is a cupboard with extras which I point out to them during the tour.  I use white towels (both a bath and a hand towel) which Costco has for a really good price, and then interesting colored washcloths in a small basket. 

When I was getting ready to host on Airbnb, I splurged on a new low-flow toilet for the unit and that was one of the best expenditures ever! (I also put one in my part of the house to replace some 70's vintage toilets).  They work great! They cost about $600 each but I have had zero problems with overflows, etc. (knock on wood on that one....)

I put out bathmats and change them each time, and there is a plastic bathmat in the shower. Great thread!