What language and pictures to use if place is being remodeled?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

What language and pictures to use if place is being remodeled?

Fellow hosts: I am fully remodeling this space and it will be open again October 1. I want to have it up now so the month of October has some bookings before I head into dead winter season. I normally rarely get last minute bookings and they are not the quality of guests I would prefer to have. I only have a handful of usable pictures left from before. Two questions:

1. What language should I use to make it very clear decor will change. I got four stars for accuracy once before because I changed curtain color. Should I include pictures of some of the new pieces of furniture I am buying or overkill? 

2. What pictures are ok to use? I only have a handful of the bathrooms, kitchen, facade that would not undergo other changes. Is it ok to use pictures from before with different furniture? At least they show lay out and space. Here is even trickier one: is it ok to use a picture from a bedroom from another house if the layout of the room, furniture and bedding are identical to what I will use here. The only difference would be window placement, not even number of windows.

Here is the link to the listing https://airbnb.com/h/stunning-wicker-park

Using my fancy new link for the first time 🙂

13 Replies 13
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

If you are keen to book now for October, @Inna22 , I would say something like "It will be even better come October. We are renovating! The photos are of the current space, and the layout will be the same, but expect to see some lovely differences when you come."

Don't oversell, but surely if you are renovating it is safe to say it will be better. Does this wording work for you?

@Lawrene0 that wording is beautiful. Do you think it is enough in terms of guests reading it? No need for capital letters IMPORTANT or something like that?

You could write it in flashing pink neon and some still won't read it, @Inna22 . You know that! 

But, sure, stick an IMPORTANT on it. Can't hurt. 🙂

Don't write the actual message in all-caps. Just the "IMPORTANT". 

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Inna22  Small inconsistency however. Here is a quote from your narrative: "You cannot have more than 14 people at the house." But look at the following screen shot. It indicates more than 16 people can stay:

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 3.26.00 PM.png

[Aside: Party cleaning package? Wow. You are getting very creative!]

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Susan151 Thank you for pointing it out! And yes, party package has been a success. The people that do take me up on it are grateful and I feel like most of them would have left a huge mess anyway except now I get paid to clean it

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

What about pictures? What is ethical to use?

@Inna22  If someone marked you down for accuracy because you changed out the color of the curtains (unreal), they'll probably be someone who'll do it if you post a photo of an identical room with different window placement 🙂

Maybe what you could do is if someone wanted to book you could tell them you'll send them a photo of what the room will look like (with slightly different window placement) via email once their booking is confirmed, since you don't get that info until a booking is confirmed.

@Sarah977  So just fewer pictures in the listing? I want to put something there to encourage bookings

@Inna22  I wasn't meaning to suggest you  eliminate the photos you already have, but if you post a photo of an almost identical, but not quite identical room, that could give guests who are coming before the renos are done something to ding you on, no?

Maybe you could post that photo with a caption saying "Renovated space will look like this by Oct.XX.

That layout that Annette posted is a great idea. I'm also a computer dunce, but doesn't everyone know at least one computer wizard they could ask for help?

Let's see if I can guilt my oldest daughter into doing this 🙂 I bet she can but probably won't admit to it

@Inna22  A bribe might work better than a guilt trip 🙂

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

What about using a design program and posting pics of the virtual layout? I am adding a pic of my layout to my listing as it is a good way to show how the space relates and I can’t get the overall space in a photograph.  Example,24AF209F-3EF1-4554-9209-62A018BB3026.jpeg

@Annette76 this looks amazing! I wish I had the skill to do it. I am one of those people who thinks the disk holder is a cup holder