What made you become a host?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What made you become a host?

364560_GettyImages-163245712_ForYou.jpg

Hello, everybody,

No matter what type of accommodation or room we have to share, accommodating guests with Airbnb is a decision we make for many different reasons.

Some are obvious, economic reasons, but I want to go further, because we may need money, but being a host requires commitment, willingness, empathy, professionalism and love. Surely each one of you has a curious story that led you to become hosts.

What led you to become a host?

I look forward to reading your story.

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

36 Replies 36
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@QuincyMy husband and I are childfree, and when we bought a new house in the country, my eyes were apparently way bigger than my stomach: it was really large for two people. The house had previously been divided into two units, so the floorplan was already set up to be seperated into two nice, spacious units. We used Airbnb when we travelled in Europe, and enjoyed the experience, so we thought we would give hosting a try. We have now hosted approximately 150 guests over 18 months, and we're constantly booked up. It's been way more successful than I ever would have thought, and it has helped tide us over when emergencies happened, like my husband losing his job unexpectedly and one of my dogs getting very ill and having astronomical vet bills. I also just really enjoy hosting: offering people a nice, thoughtful, clean place to stay is extremely satisfying, and I enjoy interacting with guests. 

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute,   

Thank you @Quincy They was from Spain and Mauritania. And really as a host, i start to meet and with people from different countries.  

Thanks, 

Miloud

I opted for short term rental after 17 years of long term tenants. I’ve had good luck with my tenants overall and honestly have had very few bc they come and they stay a long time. The last one, as timely with her rent check and quiet as she was, was not an emotionally healthy young woman and honestly that energy in my house ( I have a full unit in the upstairs of my old Victorian) took its toll. That and having a background in interior design, it drove me nuts knowing how it could look...foolish and not really important but it did eat at me. ( it’s not grand but it’s cute and cozy) So I did some research and here I am, 6 months ish in and 40 ish guests later....no regrets. It’s not without its challenges but I’m rolling with it  till I position myself to get out from under this old albatross. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Quincy @Miloud0 @Alexandra316  @Emilia @Ben

I just love people.......one night while out having dinner with my eldest daughter Sarah during one of our 'deep & meaningful' moments I said to her.......

"What's you idea of a good night out"?   She thought for a second or two and said.....

"To go to a party where I don't know anyone"!!

My reaction was....'that's a big call' but then I thought, no hang on, that's my idea of a good night out too....It's a blank canvas, there are all these new faces to bullsh*t too, I can trott out all the old stories without the chorus of ''Bushmans"  (have heard it before), that is absolutely my idea of a good night out.

Hosting to me is about meeting people, the money is nice but I don't need it....I love it when the next guest walks up the drive and I get to find out a bit about yet another life...you may not believe it but I am just as good a listener as I am a talker! Every guest has an amazing story hiding away in there just waiting to be prised out!

In 2017.....and I have told this before.....I thought I had a mystery shopper, a company mole! This guy, Lee, booked to stay here for a week. His profile page was totally blank, the only thing on it was 1 wishlist item and that was to stay at our listing.

Lee Booking 2.png

He was to fly in from the west coast of US, stay here a week and them fly out again....who does that?

I tell you, this was going to be the hosting of all time, this had to be a company man, no stone was going to be left unturned on this hosting!

Lee arrived and we had a nice week, a few meals and a bit to drink , but Lee wasn't a company mole, he was just a nice guy from South Dakota.

His wife was an ultra - marathon runner and a few years previously while out on a training run she was hit by a vehicle and never came home! Lee was still suffering the loss and he said every year he picks out a listing he thinks his wife would have liked, and in 2017 it was ours.

I would never would have got to experience the highs and lows of other peoples lives if I had not decided to host.

I think I was born for it Quincy!

Cheers......Rob 

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Robin4

Thank you for your Interesting ideas. 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Carol595
Level 2
Roanoke, VA

Our son decided after he graduated from college in 2013 to build himself a touring bicycle and did a solo tour across the US beginning on the east coast. Along his journey many people opened their homes not only through Airbnb but Warmshowers and couchsurfing along with some fire stations! It was through his journey that he shared with us how awesome “strangers” were to him and so he encouraged us to upgrade our home’s bedrooms for an Airbnb. We have been at this for over a year and a half meeting wonderful friends! I’m so thankful to those that housed our son along his journey that in turn helped us decide to utilize this platform. 

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

@Quincy I thought I'd reopen this topic.  Wondering if there are others like myself who decided to start hosting during the pandemic?   I have been a long time traveler and rented several properties and stayed in bed and breakfasts all over the world, however my first Airbnb experience didn't happen until 2020.  We were moving my daughter across country and needed a place to stay where 3 of us could each have our own room.  I rented a place in St. Louis and was blown away, not only did we each have our own room, but there were phone chargers, toothpaste tabs, linen mist, robes, and Ethiopian coffee.  All of us were taken aback. My father was so scared of staying in a home of a person he didn't know, he was begging me to pull into a roadside motel instead of the Airbnb.  His reaction to this Airbnb was priceless, as he was blown away..  The next night my dad asked me to find another Airbnb  instead of the motel we were scheduled at.  Once again, a terrific Airbnb experience, and this was an instant book , same day arrival.  We were so grateful and impressed.

The next month my skeptical father had me list his basement apartment of their snowbird house.  The guest were terrific and not a party to be had.  My father couldn't be happier and appreciates the extra income. 

Meanwhile the pandemic hit.  Searching for a weekend away, my husband and I stayed in the only available hotel, with a room overlooking a parking lot, we said their has to be something better than this.  Thus began our real estate search in an overpriced cash market. It took six months to actually obtain a property. We ended up closing on the property and listing it on Airbnb at the height of ski season.  The entire season was booked immediately.   I took all the things I learned from the first two Airbnb experiences and my years of traveling and put them into our condo.  I keep adding, I need to work on editing at this point, but my guests seem to be very happy.  I love that people come here and immediately feel at home, and that they can just come and spend time with family or friends and relax.  Currently during the down season, I'm sharing with friends and neighbors so they can enjoy too.    I have to credit this all to a road trip that no one wanted to take and two wonderful hosts.