What makes a guest great?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

What makes a guest great?

I have been thinking about this a lot. We have hosted almost 100 guest stays now and a few of them really stand out as being awesome guests. 

In addition to leaving our place clean, following rules and communicating well,  the "super guests" do things like wash their towels and fold them with a little note that says "we did these in the laundry so you don't have to." We always leave a treat (food or wine) for our guests and some have left us something in return or a nice note thanking us for the stay. A few have even taken their trash with them rather than leaving it for us to pick up. 

Beyond that, great guests don't lock themselves out because they didn't follow basic instructions (especially more than once) or over-communicate about things that aren't issues ("I don't know what all your light switches turn on. I went around and counted and I can't figure out what one does" ). Great guests have read and understood the house rules and are respectful and courteous. 

We talk a lot about things guests do that are difficult to manage on this board. What have guests done that you really have appreciated or have made them stand out as fantastic guests?

47 Replies 47
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

For me, it's really simple to be a great guest:

- They show up without any problems because they have read my clear directions/instructions. 

- They are self-sufficient during their stay and need very little from me.

- They thank me at checkout and truly appreciate that I opened my home to them.

Almost all of the time the guests who do the above also leave the space clean and follow all my house rules so that adds to them being great guests.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I had a guest go out, get parts, and fix the plumbing leak in my bathtub drain.  He refused to let me pay for anything, including the parts.  What an absolute angel. 

He got a parking ticket later in the week, so I got devious and paid it on the sly. 🙂

It’s experiences like this that restore my faith in the human race, and keep me hosting.  

@Pat271 Wow that was awesome of you. Im sure he greatly appreciated it

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

A great guest to me is as simple as #3 on @Emilia42 's list. The fact that they truly show appreciation for my hospitality makes a great guest. Those kind of guests make me miss hosting.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

I agree with  @Emilia42  and to her list I can add that they do not leave dirty dishes and take out the garbage, this is an indicator of good manners for me.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Laura2592  For me, washing towels is rather a minus, I wash and iron bedding in a different place, not in the apartment where guests come. Each object has its own specifics, of course. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Similar to @Emilia42 with a few differences.

1. They come prepared, meaning have read the notes. (We actually do not have house rules.)

2. I don't hear from them during their entire stay. (Most of our guests are like that.)

3. Leave the place somewhat picked up. (My clean-freak Mrs will go over the whole place anyway.)

4. Thankful and appreciative. (Happy people tend to be that way.)

5.  If they leave a review, make it short & sweet. (Vs. a wall of text.)

6. They re-book. (We love those.)

7.  Rinse & repeat.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

We like the people who stop for a chat on their way in or out of the apartment. These are usually the ones with character who we enjoy chatting to.

The strange (but totally acceptable) ones are the ones who arrive and never leave the apartment. Why go to a different area and then never go out? I guess the positive is that they enjoy the space enough to stay in it for extended periods of time.

That is the part we do like best in hosting;  we do get to talk to them when they arrive when we pick them up from hotel or airport and also during the 30-minute ride to island and again when returning. They dig this and so do we. All our guests insist on meeting me personally, no idea why. LoL

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

STEAK & WINE! - Recent Portuguese guests invited me (& dog) to share their steak dinner with a large glass of Red (imported from Portugal) - 2 nights out of 3! And chicken + Red on the middle night! Convivial conversation too of course! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I would have much the same list as @Emilia42

I'd add to that, that the guests answer any messages I send them in a timely fashion and respond to all I have written rather than just part of it.

I like guests who aren't shy to ask if they are confused about something, rather than just go ahead and use something improperly. Like the European guest who asked for clarification about what she was expected to sleep under and over, as she was used to just a duvet, rather than a top sheet and blanket. (I'm not referring to guests who don't bother to read provided instructions or need constant hand-holding). 

A guest who has obviously put a little time and effort into writing a review, rather than just dashing off a one-liner or not bothering to review at all (That's one way a guest is showing appreciation).

And because I don't use IB, a friendly, informative initial message when they request to book is a big plus and tells me a lot about what sort of person this is. It's important to me because I'm a home-share host, so getting the impression that this will be a nice guest to have around puts me at ease with the booking.

And of course, guests who do generous, appreciative and considerate things like arrive with a small gift, or ask if there's any small thing I need that I can't get in Mexico (yes, several guests have asked me that and brought those items), leave me a thank you note or give me a picture they've drawn, or bring home a bottle of wine to share, are awesome.

You do remind me that NAers always ask if they could bring anything, Europeans/Australians/Japanese usually bring some sort of gift. 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

OMG yes- when they bring small gifts! I love this, especially when in the form of chocolate or alcohol. I really appreciate it when they leave a small thank you note, its the gesture for us. 🙂

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

This may sound strange, but I really enjoy hosting families with children. Kids seem to notice the little details: toys, pool noodles, a fist full pre-packaged M & Ms on the table, welcome signs with their names …