What niceties do you have upon welcoming guests?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What niceties do you have upon welcoming guests?

870424_Robert_Peed_0793.jpg

Hi everyone,

As more and more countries start to open up, hosting is making a comeback. It might be slow, hesitant and cautious, and it may be imposed with new restrictions and regulations, but there’s fantastic hope on the horizon. 

I know that for many parts of the world the situation hasn't improved and, it goes without saying that the most important thing is for people to be well and stay safe. But no matter where they are, we have seen posts in the CC and received DMs from people who state that they miss the human aspect of hosting. 

Having this in mind, I'd like to ask you to think on how you imagine you'll approach the return to hosting when it is allowed again in your area. 

Will you do something extra for your guests in those first weeks or months? 

It can range from a welcoming basket (maybe full of sanitisers?), or custom made guides of the city with your recommendations, to you giving a tour of the neighbourhood while following social distancing rules. Anything goes. I believe it is a great opportunity to reflect, exchange ideas and points of view and get inspired by one another to have the best possible result when the time comes.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Nick 

22 Replies 22
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nick 

In terms of doing anything different, I think hygiene will be the main factor, e.g. perhaps providing sanitising products that I wouldn't have previously.

I was also thinking today about my guidebook, not in terms of social distancing, as this should be pretty clear already, but more in terms of is it at all up to date considering a lot of the places listed might not be operating right now? I don't think I will edit it only to have to keep changing it as things hopefully return to 'normal' eventually, but maybe creating a new, separate guidebook that takes into account the current situation might be useful. It would involve a lot of research though and I don't have enough bookings yet to make that worthwhile. Plus, things are changing every day!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great suggestion @Huma0 I have a guide in place for things to do while out and about. To be fair is next to useless nowadays. I agree with you on the update. I would choose things that are out in the open, instead of being inside a building with others. Certain walks around the city, squares, parks, where to get the best views for their photos etc. 

We are thankful to be back in the Airbnb business in Campton, New Hampshire in the USA this summer, even though the pools and Community Center are closed due to the virus. We always include what we call a "breakfast surprise" in the check-in info: a tube of refrigerated cinnamon rolls to bake. We also leave 6 cans of soda in the refrigerator, an assortment of coffee pods for the Keurig, tea, hot chocolate in the winter, and a package of microwaveable popcorn. When we know someone is celebrating a birthday we include a package of Birthday Cake Oreos--always a big hit. People don't always use these goodies (except for the coffee--that tends to go fast) but I think they appreciate the touches. A couple of families have sent us photos of them enjoying the cinnamon rolls! Thankfully there are so many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors in New Hampshire, people aren't missing the pools too much.  M.E. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Scott-and-Mary-Ellen0 Remind me to book you on my birthday 🙂 

Those little touches speak volumes! I know that as a guest I would appreciate things like these. It makes you have a better attitude and reaction towards the host even when something goes wrong, as you have in mind that they truly care. But also as a host I know it's the small things that can make someone forget something negative and concentrate on the positives when writing those reviews. Another thing that has worked for me in the past is providing them with a taxi from the airport to the house. They are the ones paying for it, of course, but I have arranged a better deal with a cab driver than the one they would pay if they had ride one themselves from the airport.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Nick,

I show my guests that I truly care about their well-being.  I greet my guests while wearing a facial mask, and maintain social distancing while showing them the space.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This would certainly be appreciated by me when being a guest 🙂   @Debra300 

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

BnB guests already get enough. They will not be getting anything other than the free snacks, netflix, free wifi, coffee, tea and a much cheaper price than a hotel setting. In many ways, I feel they should thank us for all the complimentary items they receive on this platform yet believe it to be a fundamental right with AirBnB.

interestingly, @Russell49 many of my guests are amazed at the supplies I include here, and say it is very rare with an Airbnb to have so much to choose from... none of them seem to take it for granted and it all balances out in the long run...  that's my brand of hospitality (as well as very relaxed pet friendly policy) and it works for me.

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Agree with previous comments.

The UK government guidelines encourage us to leave less items out for guests and to reduce contact to a minimum so the suggestions seem contradictory to this advice.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

HI @Tony-And-Una0 and thanks for the comment. It goes without saying you should follow guidelines in each country/area, but, as an example, a guide of the neighbourhood or city can be in electronic form and sent to the guests mobile. Doesn't necessarily have to be a physical thing 🙂

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

We will continue with what we have always welcomed guests with -  A big smile.

That said will they see it behind a facemask?!?

@Mike-And-Jane0 draw it on your face mask! 🙂

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

excellent idea @Yadira22 🙂 

@Mike-And-Jane0 I saw one the other day which had translucent plastic (the material is a guess, really) right over the mouth, so you could see expressions / the person speaking 

similarly, here, @Mike-And-Jane0 - as I live on site (they do not stay in our home itself but have separate self contained units and garden spaces) I am always here to welcome them, but we have been very fortunate in rural New South Wales in relation to Covid at least, in not having to wear masks, being able to keep the necessary social distancing. I do also provide a lot of extras in the pantry and get in provisions of their own choosing to minimise the need to go out and top up supplies with their preferences, and many of my guests comment on the amazing supplies provided. Everyone's taste is different, so some guests use a lot of the gear I provide, others, hardly anything, it all balances out in the long run, and this is obviously a big plus, as it is often mentioned very positively in reviews. Living rurally in a small town about 15- 20 minutes from larger supermarkets etc, I try to ensure that once guests arrive, they can settle in and not feel the need to go out again to get some essentials (this also includes spare toothbrushes and toothpaste, which are often the items guests forget to bring with them!).