What niceties do you have upon welcoming guests?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What niceties do you have upon welcoming guests?

870424_Robert_Peed_0793.jpg

Hi everyone,

As more and more countries start to open up, hosting is making a comeback. It might be slow, hesitant and cautious, and it may be imposed with new restrictions and regulations, but there’s fantastic hope on the horizon. 

I know that for many parts of the world the situation hasn't improved and, it goes without saying that the most important thing is for people to be well and stay safe. But no matter where they are, we have seen posts in the CC and received DMs from people who state that they miss the human aspect of hosting. 

Having this in mind, I'd like to ask you to think on how you imagine you'll approach the return to hosting when it is allowed again in your area. 

Will you do something extra for your guests in those first weeks or months? 

It can range from a welcoming basket (maybe full of sanitisers?), or custom made guides of the city with your recommendations, to you giving a tour of the neighbourhood while following social distancing rules. Anything goes. I believe it is a great opportunity to reflect, exchange ideas and points of view and get inspired by one another to have the best possible result when the time comes.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Nick 

22 Replies 22
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I've always welcomed guests with the offer of a cup of tea. (Or coffee.) Couples usually refuse, & do their own thing, workers refuse, single holidaymakers tend to welcome. - And we sit round the table & chat.

NOW, I welcome guests with a "I used to offer a cup of tea, but am mindful of social distancing!"

Guest 1 post lockdown thoroughly agreed, & couldn't get up the stairs fast enough!

Guest 2 post lockdown politely made his excuses.

Guest 3 (last night) said he hadn't been in contact with anyone so wouldn't have 'it', accepted a cup of something decaf, followed me into the kitchen & stood at TOO close a distance... He then spied an almost empty bottle of Cognac, & said "Ooh, I'll have a brandy!" - I was SHOCKED! - NOT ON for a £20 room! I muttered something dismissive & continued to make the  fruit tea. After I'd made my point, I gave him a brandy anyway, as a gesture, & we sat & chatted. He asked to borrow my Ordnance Survey map of Scafell Pike, the highest mountain in England, (& take it with him on the walk), then asked me to show him the best route... I suddenly realised I'd been coerced into standing WAY to close! Time was, when pouring over maps with guests was part of my normal welcome, but   I'm going to have to tell myself not to do it again! Mr Brandy's back for a second & final night tonight.... Shall I hide the brandy bottle?

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

..... Oh, and last night, 15th July, I gave the guest a special welcome, by putting the CENTRAL HEATING ON  for a hour in his room & the bathroom! (Only in the UK.......)

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hi @Helen350 yes, from the description, that guest might have been a bit too... comfy? On the plus side, your traffic/bookings seem to be peeking up nicely 🙂 

Amy974
Level 2
High Point, NC

(One bedroom efficiency apartment - private entrance). 

I usually have a few bananas and/or oranges in the little basket on the counter.
Four bottled waters. 

A ‘welcome tent’ with their name on it that I have printed out (8&1/2x11” folded in half), with seasonal graphics.
I am pet friendly, so if they bring a cat or dog I always have a small bag of treats for the animal.
I buy plastic cups from Walmart that say ‘North Carolina’ on them (98cents/piece) and leave a note that they are souvenirs for the guest(s).
If it’s near a holiday:

Valentines Day = a few chocolates.
Easter= some candy eggs. 

Halloween = a few Snickers bars. 
etc. 

Bronwyn38
Level 10
Wandandian, Australia

@Amy974 wrote:

(One bedroom efficiency apartment - private entrance). 

I usually have a few bananas and/or oranges in the little basket on the counter.
Four bottled waters. 

A ‘welcome tent’ with their name on it that I have printed out (8&1/2x11” folded in half), with seasonal graphics.
I am pet friendly, so if they bring a cat or dog I always have a small bag of treats for the animal.
I buy plastic cups from Walmart that say ‘North Carolina’ on them (98cents/piece) and leave a note that they are souvenirs for the guest(s).
If it’s near a holiday:

Valentines Day = a few chocolates.
Easter= some candy eggs. 

Halloween = a few Snickers bars. 
etc. 

Well done, @Amy974 - you're going great guns there! I do similar (also a very pet friendly B and B here), and those extras are often commented upon and appreciated. These things help guests settle in and get comfy, and not feel the need to duck out again to buy up on some extras, which is nice!

Carole717
Level 2
Erhard, MN

Carole 717: Tip: have a small basket for guests: some wrapped candies, some microwave popcorn, hot cocoa packets, packs of hot apple cider mix, 2 disposable face masks....also basic condiments/seasonings in fridge (butter, simple condiments etc.) and in kitchen cupboards some pasta & sauce, good ground coffee, teas. 

Bronwyn38
Level 10
Wandandian, Australia

absolutely! Tell him you drained it after his first visit, LOL! It seems that the ones that get the best deals are the ones who expect even more, and you rarely get any thanks for it... quite the opposite! Also likely to be the least tidy or considerate of the amenities provided.... although happily this is not a common occurrence, but enough to be noticeable over the years... Keep up the good and diplomatic work there, @Helen350 !

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

As Sweden has not had a lock down, Swedish hosts have been able to be ”up and running” this year. Some have had very few bookings, some have had less than before, but not too bad, and many have been really busy - depending on location and type of listing. I hear that typical inner-city hosts have suffered, but the more rural/close to nature hosts have been fully booked in season. For me, spring/early summer were of course very quiet, but Aug to mid-Nov were surprisingly good.
Most have had other guests than they normally would. I had cancellations from the US, UK, Japan, Russia and South Africa. But I had guests from Germany (several), Denmark (several), France, Holland and a number of Swedish guests (which I didn’t last year). Also some guests that came several times. I’m in the outskirts of Stockholm, and my guests now seem to be coming less to visit the inner city/attractions, and more to enjoy nature/surroundings, peace and quiet, to work or to visit friends in the area. 

I didn’t and will not change much, but:

I always leave some Swedish ”FIKA” (typical cookies/cakes/buns to have with coffe/tea, Swedish tradition) as a welcome treat - typically from a bakery, arranged on a tray. But have switched to plastic packed versions from the store. Does not look as nice, but is of course safer. And I leave hand sanitizer (by the sink + small bottles for the purse), and face masks, in case guests missed to bring their own. And a printed sheet of the current local/Swedish rules and recommendations related to covid-19.

Oh, and I’ve left umbrellas and reflective armbands for all the walks people take in the area - it is dark in Sweden this time of year!