What pillows do you use?

Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

What pillows do you use?

Hi everyone,

I’m not happy with the pillows we have been using. I really want our guests to have an amazing experience and the pillows aren’t amazing!  I’m looking to purchase something better.  What type of pillows do you use?  Why did you select them?  Do guests every comment on how great they were?

Thanks for your help!

31 Replies 31
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hello @Karen-and-Will0 - personally i use whatever pillows, just try to have identical ones in each room which can be tricky in this property https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/12043937

because people tend to mix stuff around (and even move the furniture and reorganize the place to their taste)

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Early on, a guest reviewed me, complimenting me on my variety of pillow types.

(Truth is, I was running on a shoe string and was just using whatever pillow I could find)

Positive reinforcement in the reviews is effective.

Now I provide one "firm" pillow and one "soft pillow.per guest.

I am tempted by those expensive "memory foam" type pillow, but have not yet tried them.

Hi @Paul154,  Love your posts on the CC.  Thanks for responding to my request.  Great idea about a “firm” and a “soft” pillow that I think I will incorporate into my places.  Can you share what brands/where did you purchase your favorites from? 

I too considered the memory foam.  Has anyone else on CC have experience with these they could share?  Or experience with “bamboo” pillows?

I'm kind of embarrased to say that I use pillows from Target.

I'm not sure they're the best, but they seem to do the job and no one complains.

I'm not an expert at "spa quality" bnb experience, so others may know more

The beauty rest pillows are great.  We got ours at Marshall's and Home Goods.  We have some bamboo pillows (found them on clearance) they seem ok.  Have two memory foam (got on clearance) I don't think they are that big of a hit.  I do have one firm and once soft pillow on each bed

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Karen-and-Will0

I use down filled pillows and I buy the medium range from Ikea including their protective covers.  After each season I wash them according to instructions and put them in the drier and they are as good as new. The only drawback is that they take a bit long to dry, but they last forever.  And one syntectic pillow for those who claim they are "allergic to feathers".

Hi @Marit-Anne0,   These were the exact pillows I was thinking of getting this week.  However, as someone who has allergies in general (not specifically to feathers) and tries to minimize allergens in my place, I was hesitant.  I like how you have synthetic choices too to help address this concern.  Its also nice to know they can be cleaned so easily.  Thanks for your feedback!

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

@Karen-and-Will0,

We found the best pillows for my husband and I and decided to use them for our guests too. BUT we chose to use cheaper (JCP Home) ones in the "dressy pillows" (shams).

Here are the links to the ones we got:

The nice ones: Royal Velvet® Luxury Gel Down-Alternative Pillow ($22.99) and if you buy online... use code "6friends" today only. It will get you 30% off the price!

The ones for the shams: JCPenney Home™ Classic 2-Pack Pillows (this is a TWO pack for $12.99) again...use the code to buy for 30% off that price!

These links both open in a new page...

Hi @Jann3  thanks for the feedback.  I will look into these as well.

@Karen-and-Will0 Just remember if you go into store to check them out: They seem a bit firm at first. (They're packed w/a LOT of air in them) and once put on the bed w/pillowcases they soften.

The Gel-Down alternative is amazing for my allergies! Also I fluff them by hanging them outside for the day, then tumble in dryer for 5 min on air dry. Back to new! The sun sanitzes them (really - it does!) and the dryer flufs them and gets rid of any pollen that may have fallen on them from flowers/trees.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Karen-and-Will0

Being allergic myself, it is usually a dustmite allergy rather than feathers.  As long as the pillows are washed regularly, that being feather or syntetic, the dustmites are taken care of in the washing/drying process.  Rather than arguing my case, I keep some syntetic if someone claim "feather allergy".  To this day I have only had one demand.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Since I had an early-on guest mention privately that her pillow was too thin, I provide two per person. Like @Paul154, I make sure one is thicker and one is thinner. That is four in all on a pretty small sleeping platform in a tiny space, but no complaints or mentions now. Although they are not supposed to, some guests use them at the campfire, and sparks will be sparks, so I have had to repair and, as cheaply as possible, replace. If I could guarantee everyone would be nice to the pillows, I would get bamboo for them, as we use that ourselves. Washable, comfortable, perfect - but burn holes in them would make me cry. So I recommend bamboo, but not for my rough crowd 🙂

@Lawrene0  Thanks for the info about bamboo.  I’ve always wondered about bamboo pillows.  What brand do you use or recommend?

I just took a look, but cannot tell what brand they are, @Karen-and-Will0. I must have ripped off the 'not to be removed' tag. We bought them in Toronto a few years ago. I don't remember the store name. It was not a chain store. I notice our local Home Hardware is selling something that looks similar, though.