What pillows do you use?

Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

What pillows do you use?

Hi everyone,

I’m not happy with the pillows we have been using. I really want our guests to have an amazing experience and the pillows aren’t amazing!  I’m looking to purchase something better.  What type of pillows do you use?  Why did you select them?  Do guests every comment on how great they were?

Thanks for your help!

31 Replies 31

Hi everyone, I think before we throw out ideas we may want to think about our customer and what experience they require from a pillow. Some guests are side sleepers, back sleepers & stomach sleepers and some like my self just roll around and pretty much dance with my pillow all night.  The other issue is how long is the pillow suppose to last? is the pillow washable? If you get a down pillow will some of your guest have an allergy? 

I found this blog that answers a lot of questions you may have never considered but will solve a lot unforseen problems down the road.  Its about Phoenix Down Pillows

https://www.hotels4humanity.com/blog/hotel-bedding-supplier-spotlight-phoenix-down-corp/
https://www.hotels4humanity.com/tags/phoenix-down-pillows1

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

I like the way goose down pillows feel, but I don’t like how they make me sneeze. I can’t have them in my house. I have a combination of bamboo pillow from Amazon and an assortment of soft and firm hypoallergenic synthetic ones from IKEA.

Like with all their products, pillows at IKEA come in different price ranges. I chose the more expensive ones, since they were still reasonably priced. The $2 ones they sell are similar to the Swedish pancakes  in the cafeteria.

Like Paul, I put out one soft and one firm for each guest, so 4 total for the queen and 2 for each twin.

Dust mite proof pillow  protectors are a must. There is nothing grosser than when you can see a stained pillow peaking out from the pillow case.

Leo192
Level 8
Spartanburg, SC

Hey @Karen-and-Will0  - interesting you brought this topic up.  I have been getting lots of compliments on my bed linens especially the pillows.  I had a fw guests that are PillowSnobs and they said they always bring their own pillows when they travel.  Well they tried mine out and was suprised how comfortable it was.  They were even suprised when I told them where I bought it.   Well you should know I got them at Costco.  They're actually on Sale now (2 for $15.99) and I just went out & bought some more.  You may want to try these.  No need to spend a lot on pillows and I think you'll be happy with these.  But then again, if you're not happy with it - then return it!  Costco has the best return policy! 🙂57237033563__C76AE58B-1191-4177-8ED6-2B13CF9DAE51.jpg

Hi @Leo192 , Thanks for the info.  I will have to look into those.  

As an update to this post from 2017 I tried all the pillows recommended to me at the time, ones from JCPenny, Ikea, Target, and bamboo.  What we found was the gel ones that Jann mentioned were the biggest hit by our guests.  A LOT of positive feedback on those pillows.  They seem similar to the Costco ones.  Now with that said, like @Judson6 mentioned, it is important to take into consideration what the guest might like best so we do offer flatter ones, like the $4 Target pillows, and larger ones to lean against but those extras are in the closets and guests would pull them out to use as they desire.

Hope this update helps others.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Unless you provide variety, you cannot please everyone. I prefer a small down pillow and sleep on an amazing $80 pillow, so I bought some for the accommodation. Many said ''weird'' pillows, I changed to include different ones. I find the foam ones get lumpy and don't last, so down is best but ''you sink into the pillow'' is a comment that guests who don't know how to bash them around will give. Also vegans won't sleep on down pillows.

Get pillow protectors. Have replacement pillows waiting in the wings for when one gets wrecked.

I'm a side sleeper with neck pain, too. Just envy those who have peaceful nights.

For me, the most important thing seems to find a supporting and shape-keeping one for long-term use.

I've tried quite a few pillows, with many different types, shapes, and materials. The Coop Home was a good choice, despite its higher price, I used it for around 4 months since last Dec.

The one I'm sleeping on now is called Weekender Pillow, it's a good one also, and the price is about half on Coop ones. The Weekender Pillow has a two-chamber design, which I believe is the key to a flexible and supporting side sleeper, as for me.

For some other brands, I have to say, some are too-much-designed, not that ergonomic as they planned to, and finally resulted in a bad sleeping experience. I'm a big guy, so maybe that's the reason for some of them, I guess. Read more about other pillows here https://www.talkaboutsleep.com/best-king-size-pillows/

Hope this can help you, and good sleep!

Devin-and-Sarah0
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

For us, our Airbnb consists of multi-purpose pillows for any sleeping position. It's hard to make every guest satisfied but as long as you can please most then you are doing just fine. We wrote a full article on "What pillows do hotels use" which gives you an idea. Hotels have been hosting for much longer than us and throw more money into research and development. The link to our blog post is here: www.airbnbuniverse.com/airbnb-pillows

Devin & Sarah, Superhost and Bloggers
Devin-and-Sarah0
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

If you guys are interested we have a full blog post on what hotels use for pillows. It is related to Airbnb as well. Mention if we missed any major hotel chains as well! www.airbnbuniverse.com/airbnb-pillows

Devin & Sarah, Superhost and Bloggers

I checked these pillows. They are really stunning. I also check and like some bamboo duvet covers at https://www.bestbambooreviews.com/bamboo-duvet-cover/. The materials are organic, allowing you to connect with nature. They are, in reality, the best option at a reasonable price.

Yes! Bamboo sheets... bamboo pillows... bamboo is the best!

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Jesse530 I love your enthusiasm for bamboo and I agree, bamboo is an amazing plant! 😃 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

I am using Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Ergo Neck pillow because this is migraine pillow is made to provide you with maximum comfort. It is engineered in such a way that it adjusts to the shape of your body in this way your body can fully relax and you can have a good night’s sleep. It also acts as a pain reliever by relaxing your neck and your shoulders. The Tempur Pedic Ergo Neck migraine pillow returns to its normal shape after you use it. It is one of the best pain relievers and migraine pillows in the market.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines

Nash-Cottages-LLC0
Level 10
Nashville, TN

We have a couple of types - softer and firmer. All are machine washable, and we wash them between guests. 

I generally sleep on my side and recently purchased a pillow from Jordan's (though it's likely to be found elsewhere). It's called Sqoosh and it's latex macaroni-filled. That lasts longer and is more resilient than memory foam (though it feels about the same when it's this fresh), and because it's loaded with little pieces, I can fluff and move it around so it can actually support my neck, or I can hollow out some so I can rest flat if I turn on my back. But it's full enough that it never drops flat unless I put it there on purpose; it's good at staying put. It was around $50, but given that it should last 5 years and that my neck went from hurting to fine in two nights, I'm happy with it.

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

This is a great topic.  As a guest of Airbnbs recently I've noticed the absolute worst pillows, flat as a pancake,  I think they might be the cheapest pillows available. This was at multiple places, not just one.  

As a host, I have a variety of pillows, I don't think I've found the perfect combination yet,  I have several different types from Sams club ( Hotel and Bellagio,  both nice but almost too big).  One I'm happy with is the Casiluna from Target.   I'm getting ready to open a new listing, and have yet to decide on pillows.

I'll have to check some of these recommendations out.  Thanks for topping this!