What pisses me off about hosts and airb&b filters that should be fixed!

Ricardo369
Level 2
Leiden, Netherlands

What pisses me off about hosts and airb&b filters that should be fixed!

I am a smoker, allthough not a bad person.

When I book something I select on the smoking allowed policy. I wanna chill relax sit behind my laptop and smoke sigarettes. Most smoking allowed do not allow smoking in the room but alow it outside. A host cannot allow or deny me te smoke outside o9nly laws can. I am no idiot, I know I can smoke outside or on a balcony. What pisses me off is that I get all these non smoking accomodations all the time whilst I search for smoking allowed. This should be fixed!

34 Replies 34
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Actually, @Ricardo369, A host can disallow it... at least in the United States. And, I am not gonna get into the "smoking" debate here or not..it's simply the law. You are on our property. We *can* control your actions. Any actions...

Also; smoking can and does damage furniture (including outdoor furniture) and can and is allowed to be controlled.

For instance, there are *campuses* here (yes, entire city blocks - not just colleges or hospitals) where you cannot even smoke in the parking lot in your own car.

Also, with regards to smoking on a balcony...smoking laws are written here such that "no smoking within 20 feet of a door or window to a property..." (even if that door or window is closed). Also smoking in most apartment buildings is controlled (such that many are no smoking at ALL) in California...at least.

Take your anger elsewhere until you find out about the country/state/local laws - all of them - where you intend to travel.

Jann

@Jann0

I am really sorry to see a fellow programmer that does not read what I am saying here. I am not saying hosts can allow it or not I am saying hosts post rooms as smoking allowed while the add says that smoking isnt allowed it is very anying to filter out rooms that do not comply to the tags they have.

Example you filter houses for family and when you read everything and are ready to book it states: no children allowed.

I hope you understand my point now. I understand people like you hate us smokers becouse you are such a superb ubermensch species. I know there are certain countries regions like NY where you are not permitted to smoke period. Thats fine I am not forced to live there non the less my point is the filters should work I browsed for a day for specific smoker rooms and 50 rooms are the list say smoking is allowed but you are not allowed to smoke in there It is very inefficient I might aswel disable the filter becouse it doeswork technicly e.g it filters the rooms where smoking = true but functionaly you are not allowed to smoke so what does this filter do? how would you like to brose for smoke free rooms on your filter and every result says somewhere in the text: smoking is allowed?

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

You're possibly right, @Ricardo369, that there should be such a filter, and many more. But have you noticed how many, or rather few, hotels offer smoking rooms? It's because smoking in a room makes it smell of tobacco, which most non-smokers will not stand, and such a room will require painting more often. Now what business does it make for hoteliers?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

I make it clear in my listing, in my welcome note, on my business card, and in my rental agreement.  We are a non-smoking facility. Smoking is prohibited anywhere on the premises.

If you don't wish to stay where smoking is prohibited, you are more than welcome to book elsewhere.

Mark (could not tag you for some reason), we do not allow any smoking either.

But I don't think @Ricardo369 is saying you should allow smoking in your listing, or allow him to smoke there.

He is just complaining about listings that say they *allow* smoking, but actually *disallow* smoking indoors (only allowing smoking outdoors).

@Matthew0 exactly thank you, so @Mark you dont tagg your rooms as smoking allowed right? becouse I really dont understand the anger of people here I specificly did not say that hosts should allow smoking I am just saying dont tagg a room as smoking allowed when it isnt I just browsed over 40 houses tagged as smoking allowed but all of them dont allow smoking and thats just very annoying.

@Ricardo369 you seemed to have tagged the wrong Matthew 

Matt

@Matthew0, there is definitely something strange with the tagging in this discussion thread. When I tried to tag the Mark at the top of this branch, the correct Mark never appeared.

Sorry to get you involved in this, London Matthew.

Your opinion is still always welcome, though.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

well @Ricardo369 then you should plan your vacation in Croatia 🙂 

🙂

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I see what you are saying, though, @Ricardo369. The filters should work properly. If you want a smoking accommodation, and you set that filter, those are the only accommodations that should show up. 

You should be able to search among only those places that are cool with you smoking as you write your bestseller on your laptop in their room. 

You wouldn't find mine, but you wouldn't want to come here, so all would be well.

The problem is that none of the filters that are tied to "amenities" are working properly. I have had a ticket in with the Airbnb developers since August to get the Kid Friendly filter fixed, but it remains broken. 

You could send a DM (direct message) to AirbnbHelp on Twitter and ask them to fix the smoking filter. I would love that, since the more of us complaining about the filters in general the better. 

Will you do it?

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Ricardo369

Hosts love when people tell us what we can and cannot permit on our property.

We wake up early, do housekeeping chores, worry about risk, spend money on maintainence and taxes, just so we have the opportunity for somone else to tell us what we can and cannot do . It truly is our raison d'etre.

Ricardo, please impress all future hosts with your knowledge. Tell them that you know  that "A host cannot allow or deny you to smoke outside o9nly laws can"

Do it with your first inquiry,  that works best.

I really *love* @Paul154!!

I am not stating that I want to smoke in any house people have the right to allow or disallow it what i am saying is that rooms state its smoking i explicitly put it in my filter and then in the text below it states no smoking in the house. So its a non smoker room not a smoker room and should not be tagged as smoking, sorry for not being clea