What pisses me off about hosts and airb&b filters that should be fixed!

Ricardo369
Level 2
Leiden, Netherlands

What pisses me off about hosts and airb&b filters that should be fixed!

I am a smoker, allthough not a bad person.

When I book something I select on the smoking allowed policy. I wanna chill relax sit behind my laptop and smoke sigarettes. Most smoking allowed do not allow smoking in the room but alow it outside. A host cannot allow or deny me te smoke outside o9nly laws can. I am no idiot, I know I can smoke outside or on a balcony. What pisses me off is that I get all these non smoking accomodations all the time whilst I search for smoking allowed. This should be fixed!

34 Replies 34

I understand completely. When I first joined Airbnb, I continued even though I heard about the many software bugs that they had, because I really wanted to be part of this community with all of its bugs and all. I am being patient with them. Eventually they will get to it.

Your point is perfectly clear from the begining. I am a smoker too and totaly understand. 

My Apartments are Non smoking, but have a smoking area, which is not the same, but I don’t know how appears on searches.

As I read comments, I see that Croatia doesn’t have so much strict laws.

Wish you all the best!

Paul (wow, the tagging just doesn't work in this thread), @Ricardo369 isn't saying he should be allowed to smoke in your listing if you don't want smokers.

He isn't saying that at all and never did.

He was just complaining about listings that claim to allow smoking, but then say you can't smoke inside.

That's all.

Maybe AirBnB needs to add extra settings:

1. Allowed to smoke inside and outside
  2. Can't smoke inside, allowed to smoke outside
  3. Can't smoke inside or outside
  4. Can't come into my place if you've ever smoked even once in your life. Seriously. Don't even come near us. And stop looking at our pictures.

That would make the searching easier.

Number 4 is beautifully worded, @Matthew285. Also tempting, but I will stick with 3, since it is a Smoky-the-Bear thing with my listing more than a I-don't-want-to-wash-the-blankets thing. I don't want to, but I do. 🙂

I think, though, that poor maligned @Ricardo369 is not complaining about hosts who say they allow smoking and then don't let people smoke. He is complaining about a guest using the "smoking" filter in an Airbnb search, and being shown non-smoking listings. I don't think any of us are luring in smokers by calling our listings Smoking listings then saying they can't smoke. (There are too many of the number 4 crowd for any of them to be setting a smoker trap.) It is that we say we are non-smoking or unsuitable for children or whatever, then we show up in the opposite filter. It is a known bug and highly annoying. I love nearly everything about Airbnb, but this amenities-vs-filter bug is the reason the patient folks at AirbnbHelp keep hearing from me. I hope Ricardo adds his voice to that, because he is annoyed enough by it to post here and to keep explaining. Will you, Ricardo?

@Matthew285 😄 LOL

I am one of those people that he that he talks about that have that filter turned on. My thought process was that even though I don'tsmoke and realized the damage that it causes, I felt sorry for those with the habit. I saw so many listings that were no smoking and wanted to give some lead way to this dilemma. I wanted everyone to experience what I had created as an awesome stay. So I went out the way to create an outdoor screened in porch with wicker furniture, coffee table and end tables with ash tray. Outside of that area was an BBQ pit, outside dining table with one of those stand up ash receptical that has the sand or water in it. But people still disrespect my house and smoked inside. I could tell because I don't smoke. My point is that some people like myself don't mind if you smoke and love to have you at our place. We have made the filter when we said where you can smoke. At that point a person can make a decision. I just may turn it off and do as I done previously and they find out when they get there that there is a designated area for smoking. I had no problems then such as sneak smoking in the house. I even saw crack dust residue. All because I said smoking allowed. But made it clear where smoking was allowed.  And smoking in beds is dangerous. Who knows how sleepy, drunk or tired someone is after driving, partying and playing.

Michelle-and-Ray0
Level 10
Kimberley, Canada

In BC, Canada, we can and do disallow smoking of any combustible material ANYWHERE on our property. That includes in the parking lot. We would never allow smoking on the balcony or just outside the apartment door since we had a tenant do this once, unbeknownst to us. The whole apartment stunk due to the smoke blowing back into the place and we had to wash all the walls and cupboards to get rid of it. The hallway fared no better. We wondered why the hallway was stinking like cigarette smoke and then we installed security cameras and discovered why.  It's a LOT of work and money to get rid of that smell. When we bought the building, we spent thousands on special cleaning products and paint products (3 coats of Killz) to get rid of the smell and we have every right to protect that investment. Sorry if you don't like it, but that is the way it is.

@Michelle0

I am not stating that I want to smoke in any house people have the right to allow or disallow it what i am saying is that rooms state its smoking i explicitly put it in my filter and then in the text below it states no smoking in the house. So its a non smoker room not a smoker room and should not be tagged as smoking, sorry for not being clear.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ricardo369

You are incorrect - a host can say no smoking anywhere indoors or out on their own property. You are an invited guest on private property - so the host makes the rules and as long as they are not discriminatory then that is ok. You are right that in public areas the law is different, but even here from country to country and within a jurisdiction you may have bye laws that prohibit smoking outdoors.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Ricardo369

Why not give up smoking, your life would be so much easier, healthier and the money you save would give you wonderful holidays.

Chat with your doctor and he will help you through the difficult time.

Smokers already know all this, Chris. And he wasn't asking for personal lifestyle or health advice.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Sarah977

But it is personal lifestyle which is causing him problems to find suitable accomodation.

I have the deepest sympathy for those whom have difficulty to give up smoking which is why I will always encourage and to seek doctors help so they can make the tranisition so much easier

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

There are listing in my area that advertise as being 420 friendly, always wondered if that also included regular smoking and if the term translated.

David
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Devoe0@Branka-and-Silvia0@Sarah977@Lawrene0@David126@Gerry-And-Rashid0@Chris232@Matthew285@Mark26@Paul154@Marzena4@Jann3@Michelle-and-Ray0,

Thanks for creating this discussion @Ricardo369, it has certainly got us talking. 

Focusing at the heart of Ricardo's question here, which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is why when he searches for listings with the filter 'Smoking allowed' does this show listings where this might not necessarily be the case in the full space you are booking.

I wonder, do you think that the difficulty here is to do with the way the filter works or the way hosts are applying it to their listings ie. I have the filter 'Smoking allowed' but they can only smoke in certain areas of my listing? Perhaps as Matthew suggests you think there may be a need for more settings.

It would be great to hear your thoughts around this everyone and any ideas for improving this.

Thanks,

Lizzie 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi, @Lizzie. I thought the problem must be 100% a broken filter, like the broken Kid Friendly filter, known bug and all that, until I read @Devoe0's post. I didn't think anyone was luring in smokers only to tell them they couldn't smoke - "Oh, here's a way I can get confrontation, extra cleanup, and fewer stars!" - but I see Devoe's point completely. Thanks, Devoe! Having gone to great lengths to set up a pleasant and comfortable outside smoking area, he has no way to differentiate between that and @Ricardo369's dream listing that lets him smoke right in his room, or mine that is an entire-property ban to save the forest. So @Matthew has it right I think. Thanks, Matthew! If you are taking this to the developers, Lizzie, more smoking settings, and amenity filters that work, will help both hosts and guests.