What questions do you ask guests who have no reviews?

What questions do you ask guests who have no reviews?

What questions do you ask guests with no reviews before you confirm them? 
Sometimes I’m at a loss...I do have a standard reply when someone requests to book: 

Hi ______, 
Thank you for your request to book!
We like to know a bit about our guests, who they'll traveling with—how many adults, how many children—and the general intent/plan of visit.

We also ask that all potential guests thoroughly read and agree to our "house rules" in our listing description before we confirm a booking. We just want to make sure that our house is a good fit for you and your plans.
Thank you,
Annie & David

But sometimes guests are vague in their answers. I prefer guests who tell me something like, “it’ll be my wife and myself, and our 7 yr old and 11 yr old. We just want to have some fun in the snow and look forward to the hot tub!
The house rules look good and we will have no problem following them. Let us know if you need anything else.” Along those lines. 
But sometimes guests just say things like, “4 adults, we agree to the rules.”
Would you guys consider this a red flag and decline them? Probe for more info? 
I just don’t feel that comfortable without more info—esp if they don’t have any reviews. 
At the same time, asking for the names of all the people coming seems intrusive...or is it not? I am reluctant to come across as too probing, as I’ve had a few potential guests get annoyed with me for asking things like, “what are the ages of your children?” It seems some guests look at it as if they’re booking a hotel and just have to give minimal info. And I know hosts who are more cavalier about things and just accept most bookings. I’m trying to strike the right balance. 
Suggestions?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@David-and-Annie0  Instead of questions, I make SURE guests have seen my unique house rules. I find the majority of new guests don't read them (mostly because they don't know they are there, being new, and considering how craftily ABB hides them). When I know they haven't (by not providing guest names), I share them directly with the guest, and ask them to provide the info requested therein. I have actually had a few withdraw their request, or cancel within the grace period, after reading the rules. That's fine with me. Bullets dodged.  I'm sure some people think some of my house rules are over the top and intrusive. I don't want guests who think that. And I don't want guests who think they're booking a hotel.

I say 'be comfortable with your comfort level' and ask/require whatever you like. If you're ok with it costing you a few bookings, then no harm. Good chance those 'lost bookings' would have ended up costing you through grief of some sort.

@Colleen253 Would you be willing to give an example of how  you ask them to  provide guest names?  After a truly awful experience with a guest last night(and no real tangible help from ABB Customer Support), I'm trying to find the right balance of being cautious without being intrusive.  Thanks!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Melanie839,

It's written in my house rules, and I remind guests in my greeting message, that all guests who will be staying in the rental must listed on the reservation.  I also emphasize that this needs to be done before arrival, because the guest count Airbnb's system doesn't allow the guest count to be revised after the reservation starts.  I provide this link:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2369/how-do-i-add-or-remove-guests-on-my-itinerary#:~:text=From%....

In regards to getting the information about the reason for the trip, I usually ask the guest if they have any particular plans or would like for me to make suggestions.  

@Melanie839  I don't worry about seeming intrusive. If a guest feels I'm being intrusive, they are not a guest I want in my house. I include the guest info requirement in my house rules. Feel free to have a look at them. Click my profile to go to my listing. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I just ask them to verify their ID with Airbnb if they haven’t.