What reusable items would you recommend?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What reusable items would you recommend?

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 15.04.59.png

Hi everyone, 

Recently we discussed how to travel responsibly, but what about responsible hosting? One easy way could be to choose reusable items for your listing, like straws made out of bamboo, metal, or even pasta! Or maybe provide tote bags for your guests to reduce the use of plastic ones. There is a plethora of options. 

However, it can be tricky to make the transition from single-use items to more permanent options, especially in the age of COVID-19.How do you keep your listing eco-friendly during COVID? Which reusable items do you use, and do you leave some available in your accommodation for travellers? 

Thanks for your suggestions 🙂 

Nick

37 Replies 37
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great idea @Lizzie 

When visiting Athens, I buy shower gel, hand gel and shampoo in bulk and refill bottles in the house so that guests can use them, but there are instances those run out by the time I visit again. Hopefully, I now hire a company taking care of things like that so guests can always find them full, ready to be used. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Nick,

I provide our guests reusable cotton shopping bags.

Debra300_0-1606248466033.jpeg

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Are you modelling here @Debra300? These look great - I have a TON of these tote bags that I use for shopping 👌

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Katie,

I found a picture of my exact shopping bags online, and it was by chance that the holder has a similar complexion as mine.  I used a reusable food container (pictured below) when I used to go into the office.  I was thinking of getting a few for my guests, because much of their trash are take-away containers, and the guests don't compress them before putting them in the bin, requiring the use of more trash liners.

Debra300_0-1606351364489.jpeg

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Haha I'm a terrible model @Nick, I think my skills would be put to shame by the insta-worthy one above.

That sounds like a good idea @Debra300 - would guests use them when eating out and taking home leftovers? I feel like we have a culture of getting food delivered here in the UK so everything comes pre-packed in the restaurant's packaging and then has to be recycled (if possible).

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Katie,

I think some guests will appreciate the plastic food containers.  At our place, food trucks and informal restaurants are the most convenient places to get meals.  A couple of years ago, the government banned styrofoam food containers, and now all take away boxes are biodegradable that often get very soft by the time you get home.  Although there may be outdoor tables and benches at some of the places, nowadays most people bring their meals home.

There still an over abundance of single use plastic on the island. Egg cartons, bottled beverages, and deli take away are the most prevalent.  Unfortunately, there isn't a formal recycling program except for beer and soda bottles.  We're working on it, and island residents have greatly supported recent recycling drives.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ahh I see, the food trucks - that makes sense 😊

Sounds like the government are taking steps in the right direction at least, and you're doing your part too. It's really weird to think of plastic egg cartons, as almost all of the ones we get here in the UK are cardboard ones which are easily recyclable. 

Recyclable Paperboard or Polystyrene Egg Cartons.jpg

I wanted to do more to reduce our waste output, so early this year we got a wormery, which is basically a compost heap where worms do the composting for you, if you keep feeding them your food waste. They really like eating egg cartons too so it works out ideal 🥚

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Katie,

This is how eggs are packaged in St. Lucia.  Thus far, the recycling efforts have been led by grass roots groups.  There is no government sponsored recycling program yet.

Debra300_0-1606418803063.jpeg

@Robyn351,

Thanks for the great idea about plant based sponges.  

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Katie We have our eggs in cardboard type cartons in New Zealand.

From time to time another ABB Host in my community is kind and gives us freshly laid eggs from their Hens.

Which reminds me I must try catch up with her this week.

I save my egg cartons and give them to her to use for others who get fresh eggs.

She's a lovely lady & her own Guests also have fresh eggs!!

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ahh freshly laid eggs are such a treat @Helen427! Great that you have found a way to recycle the cartons directly too as it saves energy 😊

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

haha, @Katie  I expend energy as I walk there to drop them off...around 40 minutes .

I wonder how many steps chooks walk each day?

I wonder how many miles / kilometres they walk / run each day?

@Katie @Nick @Helen350 @Debra300 @Robyn351 
@Jillian98 @Jillian84 @Katie7 @Katie4 @Hen2 @Chick--And-Ann0

@Chick4 @Chick0 @Chica0 @Chicky0 @Tim--Chick--Jake-and-All0 

@Pegg0@Eggie0 @Hen0 @Stephen-And-Jackie0 @Maui-Roost0 

@Kroosty0 @Nesta2 @Anest0 @Nesta1 

@The-Cockatoo-Nature0 @Peacock1 @Bird1 @Birdy3 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

From Tate to fashion brands those are a must have for when going to the supermarket 🙂 Maybe we should starting sharing photos? @Katie 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

reusable and stylish @Debra300 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Nick,

Just trying to do my part with limiting the use of plastic (or "nylon" as they say in the Caribbean).  To me, nothing looks better than a shopping bag with a rainbow colored assortment of fruits and vegetables.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

great topic @Nick ,  About the only reusables our guests see are plastic shopping bags reused as garbage can liners and bulk hair and cleaning products but they are surrounded by recycled building materials in their suites.   They walk into an addition that I used 2 X 12 floor stringers from our old Football stadium seating, walk up a staircase made from repurposed red poplar treads that were once rare book shelves in our library, settle into a beautifully finished space with knotless white oak trim and cabinets from another renovation scavenger hunt and the list goes on and on. 

I dive into construction dumpsters, hunt things down through Craigslist, pickup at the side of the road and because I'm also well known for this at work and home even contacted by trades folks and job bosses about leftovers on jobs that they know I would get great use out of.   I call this my "Green times 2 system". good for the environment and good for Johns $$$ wallet!!!!!   If more people realized they could help save the ecosystems they live in and save money without sacrificing quality, they might get greener also (and they dont need to buy a windmill or a Tesla to be part of the solution).   Just my 2 cents for what thats worth at Lowes today!  Stay well, JR