What reusable items would you recommend?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What reusable items would you recommend?

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 15.04.59.png

Hi everyone, 

Recently we discussed how to travel responsibly, but what about responsible hosting? One easy way could be to choose reusable items for your listing, like straws made out of bamboo, metal, or even pasta! Or maybe provide tote bags for your guests to reduce the use of plastic ones. There is a plethora of options. 

However, it can be tricky to make the transition from single-use items to more permanent options, especially in the age of COVID-19.How do you keep your listing eco-friendly during COVID? Which reusable items do you use, and do you leave some available in your accommodation for travellers? 

Thanks for your suggestions 🙂 

Nick

37 Replies 37
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

wow @Melodie-And-John0 taking this to the next level! 🙂 

I buy all of my perishable items - like coffee, tea, shampoo, conditioner, etc. - in bulk from local suppliers to minimize waste and support the community. Plus it makes it much easier for my cleaners as they can simply refill the items when they are running low.

I also supply a mesh tote bag and reusable grocery bags so guests don't have to take the plastic bags at the grocery store when they go shopping. 

I also use a coconut sponge instead of a plastic scrubber, and all of my shampoo, conditioner, dish soap, dishwasher detergent is made from sustainable ingredients. 

I also supply water bottles guests can use during their stay to pack water/drinks when they go on outings to avoid the need to buy plastic bottles.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great tip on the coconut sponge @Robyn351 - I need to google that 🙂 Is it something you find easily where you live?

Yes, I am in Victoria, BC and get all my eco-friendly supplies from local shops like and Zero Waste Emporium and West Coast Refill

Though my favourite from Amazon is this japanese scrub brush  - I use it for my cast iron skillet. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Nick @Huma0 @Katie @Helen350 

@Lizzieand others based in the UK, you have the most incredible Sheeps wool packaging for parcels which is great to use in the base of Plant Pots as a liner in the garden!

It was by chance I came across some and have really loved using it.

Plants are coming along well, just have to make sure my friendly slugs, snails and birds don't attack the vegetables before we eat them.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I've seen gardens use sheep's wool on the top of pots and beds to prevent the frost getting to plants in the winter too @Helen427. As I understand it, the oils from the wool mean that slugs can't pass over it to nibble on plants  🐌 

I had no idea people used it as parcel packaging though - that's interesting!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I had a couple stay in summer, between the two lockdowns, who kindly left me a 5* review across the board, but were quite disparaging about my eco-friendliness in their private review " Nice to see a good effort in separating the recyclables" they condescendingly said! - "But it was spoiled by your use of disposable plastic cups on the breakfast table. We would have liked to find washable glasses!" - So I replied that the plastic glasses had been left behind by a guest, and I used, washed, & reused them; the ultimate in recycling, recycling other people's rubbish! - "Glad to hear it!", she replied. 😕 😛

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

A bit quick to jump to conclusions there @Helen350 , but a great reply from your part 😁