What's for free and can I get a discount on that?

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

What's for free and can I get a discount on that?

I have noticed an increase in guest inquires hunting down a mega bargin. I accept we all love a bargin, but it feels like some users are just taking things that step to far. I see enquires along the lines of: "If you give me this, this and this plus airport transfers, I would be interested in booking" I have been hosting for many years and am starting to wonder where the Airbnb marketing is pushing for 'new' business. I am not going to mention the attitude and lack of manners that often comes with the request.

14 Replies 14
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

"Thanks for your interest. Sorry I cannot offer a discount." 

Sometimes, it is best to be a robot and just send this reply with no thought.

You are lucky to discover to that they are undesirable right away - no lost time.

There are some guests who like to book and then take their own "discount" - overstay, take towels, bring in extra non-paying guests.....

I see you have great places that are getting booked and that you are experienced.

Hopefully your increased requests for discounts is nothing more than bad luck.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Brett3interesting.. nobody ever asked me for a discount... obviously we should rise our prices 😄 :)))

Patrícia63
Level 4
Santos, Brazil

No começo pediam descontos, depois fui agregando valores à hospedagem, experiência e me profissionalizando e não pediram mais. 

Nina204
Level 6
Pittsburgh, PA

I read an article from a major newspaper not long ago how to manuever Airbnb.  Number 1 or 2 was don't hesitate to ask for a discount.  😞     I see a big trend now  I would say at least half of my inquires or more are for discounted stays.

@Brett3

I usually tell those types of guests "Clearly you're not a good match with us or our home. Good luck finding a place that meets your needs." 

I've only had maybe 2 or 3 inquiring guests ask about additional discounts. If I'm in a good mood I will I also add if they search for places with shared bathrooms I'm sure they will find a room more within their budget 🙂 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

I must confess a couple of times with the extra rude ones,  I have pointed out that there are lots of backpackers and youth hostels where you are only sharing a dorm with up to 12 people. I accept people want a deal but the attitude and really bad manners that comes with some of the requests is what makes me ask where Airbnb are marketing.

James1278
Level 2
Chandler, AZ

I am a newbie on my 3rd day of hosting and I already received my first inquiry with discount request yesterday.  The guest asked for a discount of 30% off of a 10 day stay, this was in addition to the 10% discount already applied for stays longer than 7-days.  I found lots of great info from the Airbnb community about how to politely decline and I also recommended a nearby hotel that might fit the guest's budget.  The guest did not reply again.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@James1278 these time wasters aren't going to reply.

They do have a tendency to try this with newer hosts.

Amy-and-Brian0
Level 10
Orlando, FL

We get requests for discounts several times a year.
We normally respond with "We don't offer a discount as our prices are already low so that we keep our calendar full." 

The last one we got was for a 2 night stay (we normally require 3) and they wanted to "barter" for a free night by providing "photography" of our place. I told them bartering can get them reported (not sure if that's true, but it should be if not) and that we don't offer discounts.

They ended up getting another place for 50% less in our same building, which reduces the overall value of our resort. It was almost certainly given by a "management company" who doesn't give a sh** about the value of properties. There's so much downward pressure on prices already, it's hard sometimes to balance between full calendar and prices that make it worth it.

@Amy-and-Brian0

Here on the Gold Coast there are a number of properties lited by "management companies" and I sometimes wonder how it is ecconomically viable to run the stupidly low prices I see. A hotel makes sense because their cleaning staff are on an hourly wage so it's all about occupancy rate, but in holiday resorts with apartments, the cleaners are usually paid per apartment cleaned. Some friends own management rights and ask what are these operators thinking with pricing so low. It affects them too.

Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

Hi brett, the ones that lose out are the owners once the booking agency or on site manager is paid then its the cleaners then its the owners we had holiday let and the charges before we get  paid were outrageous needless to say why we don't do it any more they run the prices down low let's not forget it's not their mortgage or body Corp as long as they are paid first. I once remember calling in regards to our monthly statement and not receiving any payment ours is top floor ocean views we were told oh you actually owe us money!!

Cheers

It's very similar here in Florida too @Jackie148.

If you don't self manage or pay attention, there are many times owners are paying for the privelege to rent out their own properties. It's absolutely insane that someone would allow themselves to be taken advantage of that badly.

The only thing I can think of is that people don't care, have more money than they know what to do with or don't know any better. It's sad.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I do start to think that the cost of rental car is actually higher than my nightly rate. The car rental biz lacks competition - but no way am I driving to the airport. 

Kristy43
Level 5
West Moonah, Australia

Argh, the bargain hunters make me roll my eyes @Brett3.  I have only once agreed to a discount (when we first started out) and the women proved to be one of the biggest pains and left the house a horrible mess- we said never again!!!  I now just refuse point blank with the line of "our prices are already competitive etc etc"  I figure now that either someone else will book the dates or we will use the time for some maintentance rather than letting it out for bargain basement prices.