What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Checklist.jpg

Hello everyone,

When you're preparing for your guests there's lots to think about. From ensuring you've cleaned every nook and cranny to checking there's enough toilet roll, it's easy to forget things! If you're anything like me you like keeping on top of things with a list.  

Do you have a checklist you follow when preparing for your next guests? If so what's on it?

It will be great to compare lists!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

158 Replies 158

we are in the deep south!  Grease is a staple food

An-Maré0
Level 6
Cape Town, South Africa

I made myself a list of duties to be done  - although I don't tick off every task after I have done all the prep work - I ran my eyes through my list - to make sure I have covered everything.

It is amazing how you can skip the one thing and then my list force me to remember. My list also helps me to have the same standard for all my guests.  

In the beginning when you try and figure out your routine it made things so much easier.  My list is very detailed, because every step is recorded.

Make a list - and you will surprise yourself.

Can you please share your list An-Marie 🙂

Pamela-Keith0
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I have hosted for about a year. I created a couple of forms for the rooms for guests, bathroom and I do personal checkins, so I preview that. The cleaning forms are used daily, as well. I took partial screen prints of the forms.  The forms have 31 days, which allows me to examine patterns.  I have a key chain that allows me to slip in the guests’ name.  Thanks all for sharing, as well.  I have picked up a few nice ideas.E1F742E5-9C53-4894-B7BA-385B4931D79B.png

7C12A1E0-9709-4660-B131-B54C2AF08F1D.png

9BED07B5-7A28-4642-ACF9-E7113008E008.png

EEDF3AB0-E500-447A-A939-3E9ABF02765F.png

80AC6513-D769-4CDF-BB71-8679C3F68DDF.png

9F784AAC-BCB9-47BD-9EA0-7975CFFE3505.png

80A6AD3A-4218-40F7-B545-8CD2BA4F477B.png

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, this is incredibile @Pamela-Keith0. So, I imagine you mark the day off once you have checked/completed that particular area? 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Lizzie!

Yes. We check the days that we perform the task. As one other host mentioned; it assures that all guest get the same quality. 

For specialization, I have another form that helps for my shopping list and fine tuning embellishments that might cater quest individual requests. Here is a partial screen shot:

2092945F-4A8A-4126-8831-9650EBA0113D.png

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I can see having a list if you have a cleaning person to make sure they don't miss anything, but I have the same routine for the guest room and guest bathroom every time I clean- basically start at the ceiling and work my way down and clean every square centimeter.  The way I clean, I can't imagine "forgetting" anything.

My husband had to prep for our guests arriving today since I'm away,  I'll be writing a list now  

Ha Ha Ha!

Kim-and-Tim0
Level 2
Suffolk, VA

I am, as another person described himself, a "remote host," so rely upon a young friend (and a back up) to report on the state of the house after guests have checked out and to prep for the next group.  I created the list below, but may edit a bit based of suggestions I've found here!

--------

Make note and take pix of any damage or extreme mess.  These folks are supposed to take care of our home like we would (so hopefully this job isn't overwhelming for you!).  I need to make any claims within a few days of check out, so just shoot me a text or email with any pix.

- wash all towels, bed linens and placemats

Guests will leave used beds unmade & dirty towels in bathtubs. Grab up kitchen towels as well.

• Remake beds so they look inviting. Hang fresh towels. There are extra towels in main floor bathroom cabinet next to the door, and in the upstairs queen bedroom closet.  Put freshly laundered linens in respective closets (or in dresser in twin bedroom). Towels in cabinet/closet.
  • Clean tubs, toilets, counters, sinks & mirrors in all three bathrooms
  • Empty fridge... Anything left is yours or trash, wipe out if necessary
  • Wipe out wave if necessary
  • Make sure oven is still clean, wipe down stovetop if necessary
  • Check toaster
  • Empty dishwasher if necessary (guests are asked to at least run it before leaving)
  • Run disposal to make sure it's empty
  • Wipe down countertops
  • dust tables with furniture polish
  • Vacuum carpet
  • Sweep or vacuum wood & tile floors and use the bona mop on hardwood if necessary
  • Stock up toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, trash bags. Re-line cans
  • Empty all trash and recycle and take to dump
  • Any lights burnt out? Soaps and shampoo empty? Replace as necessary
  • Spray febreeze in carpeted areas
  • Check laundry room, wipe down washer/dryer if necessary, sweep
  • Water deck flowers

Hi Just about to begin hosting so this is a great help thanks 😀

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is wonderful to hear @Catie7. It would be great to hear how you get on and if you create your own list. 🙂

The very best with hosting. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

This works for me:

First, I always check in with next guests for a general ETA and keep my volume up so I can hear if messages come in.  I plan to be ready 1-2 hours before check-in with back to back guests in case someone arrives early.

1-  Gather laundry all around get a load in...rinse, repeat until all is reset in rooms or or folded in closet

2- Collect all trash/recycling, set just outside door and add to as I clean

3- Bathroom - Disinfect and polish all surfaces, reset towels, toiletries, tp, etc.

4- Bedroom - " " examine and return all items to usual places, remake bed with backup bedding, check upholstery, carpets if additional attention needed

5- Living room - " "

6- Dining room- " "

7- Kitchen: Sanitize and put away dishes

8- Clean and polish refrigerator, counters, cupboards, stove, micro, sink etc. inside and out.

9-  Clean and restock fireplace/wood

10- Check and clean up outdoor seating areas

11- Complete laundry, reset any as needed, fold the rest and put away

12 - Replenish kitchen with any items needed

13- Water plants inside and out

14- Do pre-vacuum/mop walk though, checking intem placement, light bulbs, remote control batteries, and re-set TV volume to low and "house channel"

15- Mop and polish floors kitchen and bath

16- Vacuum all rugs, upholstery, and any cobwebs

17- Empty vacuum bin into trash just outside and put away.

18- Put all trash in bins

19- Final interior walk through to check all details and be sure instructions are ready if I cannot be there to welcome guest or they arrive late.

20- Final exterior walkthrough to check outdoor seating, tables, flowers, etc

21- Check messages for updates/questions and be ready to warmly welcome guests and give the tour.

Clean and reset ususally requires 2 hours average, with short breaks to refresh and replenish myself : )

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is quite a list @Susan1028. I'm glad to hear you take some breaks, I think you deserve a lie down afterwards. 

Have you managed to find ways to speed up your pre-check in routine, as you hosting experience has grown?

--------------------