What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Checklist.jpg

Hello everyone,

When you're preparing for your guests there's lots to think about. From ensuring you've cleaned every nook and cranny to checking there's enough toilet roll, it's easy to forget things! If you're anything like me you like keeping on top of things with a list.  

Do you have a checklist you follow when preparing for your next guests? If so what's on it?

It will be great to compare lists!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

158 Replies 158
Jamie269
Level 3
Cheyenne, WY

I love this idea! I’m going to make one  this is what I’m going to put on mine, for starters. :

sheets

pillows

towels

bathroom supplies

watwr/ snacks 

vacuum 

change sign (welcome board)

cant wait to see what everyone adds. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is great to hear @Jamie269, there are some great suggestions here. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Love the idea of a welcome board! I rent a room in my own home, so I communicate directly with guests, but it would still be a great addition. I like to make a little welcome note for the bedroom. What kind of things are on your board?

I put our WiFi name and password on our welcome board.

We just have a small chalkboard (bought at Target for $1.99) that simply says "Welcome to Chicago <name(s) of guest(s)>.  Returning guests get "Welcome back to...). Or, if I know a guest is coming for a birthday or anniversary, I write that on the chalkboard.

Guests appreciate the personal touch. We have our Wifi code printed out and framed (in a 4x6" standing frame from the dollar store)  for easy access. It also cannot get smeared if someone bumps a hand-written board with that info. I change the password quarterly so the sign gets updated regularly. 

Love your ideas.

Mona Michaels

Super Host in Hanford, CA

Hi David,  I loved your chalkboard idea.  What an simple and great way to make guest feel welcome.

Thanks, 

LuAnne

I have a self contained apartments and have a folder on the table with a welcome note including instructions for use of facilities,  check out e.g. turn off aircon/lights, lock windows/doors etc.  And contact details for me.  Also have a town map, historic information sheet and what to do in our small historic town.  A where to eat sheet with times open.  Currently I have a small Drought Alert sheer with tips.

Hi Denise, thank you for sharing.  I, too do have a guest manual with a Welcome Letter and House Rules/Guidelines/Emergency Locations/Lists of Important Locations/Alarm Code Instructions. I require my guest to fill out a 1 page Registration Form before I show them the guest room and the rest of the house.  My husband and I enjoy having an Airbnb guest.  The most part of the house that the guest enjoy is my husband's garden full of flowers and fruit trees.  They find it very relaxing.

@Denese3 wrote:

I have a self contained apartments and have a folder on the table with a welcome note including instructions for use of facilities,  check out e.g. turn off aircon/lights, lock windows/doors etc.  And contact details for me.  Also have a town map, historic information sheet and what to do in our small historic town.  A where to eat sheet with times open.  Currently I have a small Drought Alert sheer with tips.

I rent a room in my home and host an average of 20 nights a month and have hosted dozens of travellers from around the world (I love hosting!). Before my guests check in I run through a routine that is exactly the same every time!!... and this is it: 

- strip the bed and inspect the mattress (you can never be too vigilant against bugs!)

- start laundry (sheets and towels)

- wipe down all of the surfaces (desk, bedside table, lamps, garbage can lid) 

- shake out the rug, sweep, and swifter

- take out the garbage

- refill water bottle, restock the “minibar”, restock maps and local guides

- make the bed, mist with lavender aromatherapy spray

- open welcome book to the first page

- close the door

- hang welcome sign (handwritten with the names of the guests— I love calligraphy!)

THEN... I hit the bathroom, kitchen, sweep and swifter the common areas, tidy and de-clutter, etc., etc., etc....! I find a routine is super helpful in time management and doing the same thing, every time, means things get done faster. From start to finish it takes me 2hrs to flip the room and be ready to receive guests... I hope this helps other hosts organize their flips!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great list @Kate576. 🙂 

With all the years you have been hosting, have you found that your routine has changed much? 

--------------------

I have found that other super hosts who have stayed have made the bed a different way and I adopted their style. Another one bought me a toilet paper stand. I'd been using a basket which is what we did in Europe a lot but I thought it was super sweet and kept it. I have changed out color palettes and artwork, added a super cute folding table and chairs, per a guests suggestion. The routine has changed in that I now inspect the silverware and the dishes and teacups. I had a guest put a teacup in the cabinet, dirty, same with silverware. I check every dish now as if they do a hand wash, they are seldom clean. I now use Dropps as I'm always trying to find the perfect laundry soap, I'm sold on it. I think you constantly improve. 

Maree2
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

Excellent list   Thank you!