What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Checklist.jpg

Hello everyone,

When you're preparing for your guests there's lots to think about. From ensuring you've cleaned every nook and cranny to checking there's enough toilet roll, it's easy to forget things! If you're anything like me you like keeping on top of things with a list.  

Do you have a checklist you follow when preparing for your next guests? If so what's on it?

It will be great to compare lists!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

158 Replies 158
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

We are currently using two lists:

Pre check-in list

Our pre guest checkin list is very short because we try to cover as much as possible in the post checkout after the previous guest. We leave the pre check-in list to include only the items that should be done fresh on check-in day:

The pre check-in list:

• Spot vacuum & bug check
  • Air out rooms & spray freshener (if needed)
  • Fresh garden flowers into 3 vases (dining table, plus bedrooms)
  • Fresh spring water into bedrooms
  • Fridge: homemade yoghurt, berries, farm milk, & butter.
  • Fresh fruit into bowl
  • Fresh homemade sliced bread into pantry
  • Tidy leaves from outside areas & entry path
  • Water garden (lots for long stay)
  • Print guest welcome letter & leave on desk (customised)
  • Print weather forecast & leave on desk (customised)
  • Special: re-check guest booking to confirm any special needs are covered

In addition to this we like to put extras for guests that are arriving late, hungry and tired after a long journey (like fresh baked cookies or whatever we’ve baked).

Sometimes we’ll just go ahead and make a tentative dinner reservation on guests behalf, so they aren’t caught by surprise when they arrive in our city (close to or at dinner time) and learn that restaurants are all booked a week ahead. If we do that we’ll leave details of the optional booking for them as part of the pre check-in list. We describe it as a backup option, which they can cancel if they wish. So far all have taken the booking! The restaurants we book with are totally fine with it and know we might cancel, but they never struggle to fill last minute tables in our city.

Post check-out list

My wife and I use a check-out list to keep track of all the things we tick off after guests leave. Some of these might be done by our cleaner, but we don’t always use one if there is a gap between bookings and we can do it ourselves (cleaners are too expensive where we are to use all the time).

This list also factors in that reporting any damage or missing items is one of the first things we have to do, because Airbnb rules only give you a small window within which to claim compensation.

The check-out list:

• Check keys are back in lock-box
  • Damage check - photograph and report to Airbnb 
  • Do inventory check (wall pictures, emergency & safety items, electronics, kitchen items)
  • Contact previous guest about forgotten items, missing inventory or damage
  • Strip beds & remove all linen (sheets, towels, tea towels)
  • Gather extra blankets, if used
  • Gather dishes and put in dishwasher
  • Empty inside rubbish bins
  • Fridge: empty & clean
  • Microwave: clean
  • Kettle: Empty extra water and clean
  • Toaster: Empty crumbs & clean
  • Iron: Empty extra water
  • Kitchen: disinfect all surfaces, cupboards & drawers
  • Dust all surfaces (high & low), lights, wall trims and plants
  • Wet cloth wipe door handles, bannister, light switches and wall/door smudges
  • Vacuum throughout
  • Bathroom: Full clean & disinfect
  • Clean toilet brush with hospital grade cleaner (chlorine)
  • Restock bathroom (facial wipes, cotton buds, shampoo/conditioner, handsoap, toilet paper)
  • Restock kitchen (tea, coffee, sugar, salt/pepper, cleaning cloths, dish liquid)
  • Restock laundry (washing machine liquid)
  • Restock pantry (jam, peanut butter, marmite, honey, meusli, cornflakes, cookies, coffee)
  • Reset safe code & leave open
  • Re-line rubbish bins
  • Beds: Fresh linen on beds (mist & iron duvet covers)
  • Sweep, weed & water outside garden
  • Double check high/low areas & corners for bugs
  • Check and spot clean stains on cushions, couches & carpet
  • Check all light bulbs working
  • Check that the house manual is still in order
  • Fresh tea towel in kitchen
  • Fresh towels in bathroom
  • Lock doors & close windows
  • Put back clean dishes from dishwasher 
  • Empty outside rubbish bins
  • Re-line outside bin
  • Water outside garden

So far the lists are really helpful. We have them in our Notes app on iPhone and share the list so multiple people can tick things off as we go.

Lisa1480
Level 4
Ottawa, IL

My place can stay booked a lot due to long termers.  If I have enough time between guests I also like to sneak in a project to keep the place moving forward. I’ve been repainting and updating wall art to keep things bright and fresh. My next project will be rearranging my kitchen cupboards to make things easier to find. I know where everything is buried but guests need common things at their fingertips. I recently added a USA map and world map so I can “dot” where everyone is from. 

Patricia1664
Level 1
Ohauiti, New Zealand

I have a boutique BnB (hotel) rather than an AirBnB, but my list runs to 6 pages, from pre-cleaning if guests have not been in for a while, to cleaning turn-around, if guests left that morning and more and coming in that afternoon, but basically it runs like this:

Bathroom double check everything, then sit on the toilet and again check that everything is set. Towels, toiletrys, toilet paper, soaps, shampoos, tissue box is full,  floor cleaned

Outside room, swept clean of dust, leaves etc, cobwebs gone, weeding the gardens near the suite,l dead heading the flower pots on the outside tables,

Guest Alcove, where they can make tea/coffee, is fully stocked, fresh filtered water, homebaking, sweet jar and snacks are full and fresh milk is in the fridge plus heater is set if it is winter.

Bedrooms itself, TV is on, lights all work, dressing gowns are set, slippers set, clean water glass by beds, fresh flowers done, fruit bowl set up, the sliding doors are wiped cleaned in the tracks, no bugs, flys etc and the room is fully dusted for cobwebs, carpets done and so on.

It goes with saying that when the last guest checked out the whole bathroom/bedroom was cleaned, vacummed and so on but if there has been a few days between guests, do it again. 

We recently had a water polo team stay with us. I had made some chocolate chip cookies on the day the checked in and decided to share with them. The boys (6 of them) and their coach loved the cookies and I do believe we received the best review we’ve gotten since the day we started. Personal touches really make a difference!!!

I have a self contained 3 bedrooms apartment as well and host as shared or as the entire space. I have not gotten around to the welcome note and instructions yet. I thought of using to chalk board to welcome guest but decided not to because sometimes other guest already in the space.

My checklist is similar to that of Jamie's and I do some etras as well.

Because my unit is self contained

I have 2 sets of bed sheets and dovet covers for each rooms so I dont have to wait for bed linens  while the towels are washing.  I also use 2 drawers in each room for extra linens and towels so guest/s can access. That helps me identify used and unused towels as I have a tendancy of washing everthing that is out in the open. As well, guest can change their bed linen for long stays.

I spray all rooms regardless of odor or not. To get rid of food odor, I bring to boil cinnamon sticks, bayleaf, clove and (ginger optional). It takes care of the odor every time and leaves a natural cinnamon aroma. Perfect for any space, especially fishy or oily space. Very nice for a Chrismas aroma as well.

My 2 children to do the cleaning of the bathrooms, sweeping, mopping and kitchen cleaning. I follow up by checking every thing they did to ensure it is done to my standards. I always check under the bed to ensure they remember to sweep and mop. I am glad I do that everytime.  I've learnt guests do yoga in theirs rooms.

Dusting the drawers and night stands, remove trash and  make the beds. I open all drawer in the bedrooms and check for any left overs from guest. I found out someone stored rice in the bedroom drawers. had to rewrite my home rules.

Final inspection of the beds, I pass a lint roller to ensure there is unwanted hair or lints on the bed. You would be surprise of what you will find.

Common area

Vacuum  rug  and sofa with mild scented baking soda 

wipe mirror and ensure iron and iron board  is in its space for all guest.

Restock bathroom and kitchen.

Apart from the normal coffee and tea. I go the extra mile and spend between $10 to $15 on guests for breakfast/lunch/dinner as a starter for their first day as most of my guests travel international and arrive after 4PM. 

I welcome them with a pizza in the oven while showing them around and leave one  breakfast meal so that they can sleep in and dont have worry about shopping.

When restocking kitchen, I put all non prisherable open food item (mostly guest bought) in storage containers so it feels and look like home.  I line my sugar bottle with small  zip lock/sandwich bags to dispose of and refill easily.  I clean up the kitchen even if guests already occupying the space so that it looks neat when they enter.

Final walk around to ensure all looks well.

It can be a lot but I do it anyway.

Checked!!!

Daljit0
Level 5
Windsor, United Kingdom

I personally throw out all food left my guests and I don't provide any. Allergies... Allergies....Allergies !!! You provide food, someone gets sick....your responsible !!! Simply dont do it

Sue365
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

We have a 2 bedroom apartment in Melbourne Australia listed with Airbnb

My to do list............dont think we need to be told by airbnb if so they are in the wrong business.

Change all bed linen 

Vacumm & dust entire apartment    Check TV screen is free of hand prints.

Each month change over current magazines

Check for dirty marks on walls and always near light switches

Kitchen restock refrigerator with chilled water, complementary welcome wine/beers, cheeeses, chocolates.   supplies for a cooked breakfast, butter, milk and juice.

Restock the pantry with adequate supplies for the length of guests stay. 

clean and restock coffee machine.      Restock tea selections

Clean kitchen rubbish & recycle bins, leave spare bin liners. 

Check all cupboards are clean & contents, no broken or missing crockery or cultery.

Clean stove, micowave & dishwasher leave adequate table for length of stay.

Clean shower ( each month clean drainage outlet) check that shower screen is smear free ( check at least 3 times)  Top up  shampoo /conditioner bottles.

Check first aid kit is fully stocked, adequate makeup wipe removing wipes & emergency female bits if needed.

Tidy toy boxes and leave a personalised note for incoming children. 

Ensure washing machine clean of any residual soap in dispencer part of machine, dryer clean of all lint

Clean clean bathroom ensure adequate toilet paper for length of stay.

If any of the guests are celebrating a birthday etc leave a cake.......with candles ( & matches)

Karen296
Level 2
Dallas, TX

I have a self contained quarters behind my house. I've found it's important to actually look at the coffee cups in the cupboard as a few times they have been put away dirty. I also check utensils, pots, and pans to ensure they have been thoroughly cleaned. Guests often forget to dispose of the coffee filter.

Fan blades are a big must with me and I clean those about every fourth guest. 

I also vacuum inside drawers and armoire regularly. I use Downey fabric softener spray on linens and curtains for a nice fresh scent that dissipates quickly and just smells "clean".

I launder the bedskirt twice a year and dry clean decorative pillows regularly. 

I also run the vacuum around the crown molding and down the corners of room about every 4th guest.

Of course my air b n b is much cleaner than my actual home lol!

@Karen296  Good list, but I'd skip the Downey fabric softener. What smells "clean" or "fresh" to you,  just smells like chemicals to me and many others. I've never been a guest, but if I was, I'd be someone who messages the host beforehand asking them to please skip the fabric softener and dryer sheets on any bedding or towels they give me. I'd prefer drying myself with a slightly stiff towel than choking on the chemical smell of Bounce sheets. 

Same goes for natural scents. I personally hate the smell of lavendar, yet some people think that just because they like it, that everyone does.

Thanks for your input . I have not received any complaints. It’s extremely subtle and nothing like the overwhelming scent of lavender. It’s not a fabric softener. It’s an ironing aid . I do not use fabric softeners. In fact I’ve experimented with detergents and for me oxiclean smells  clean and neutral. 

I got a huge container of Tide that was supposed to be scent free and I certainly smelled a sickley sweet scent .  But I can smell a cigarette being smoked two cars away with all the windows rolled up lol! 

@Karen296  You did say "Downey fabric softener spray"  ;-/ Yes, Oxyclean is fine- it's just hydrogen peroxide based, I think. I don't detect any scent with that.

It's funny- they love scented everything here in Mexico. There's a lot of products you buy in the stores in Canada or the US that are also available here in Mexico. But if it's actually manufactured here, it's loaded with perfume. Body lotions that were unscented when I bought them in Canada, same brand here smells like cheap Woolworth's perfume. And you really have to read the labels on the toilet paper- "With Aroma!" is a big selling point. I once bought some by mistake and couldn't figure out why my bathroom smelled so awful til I realized I'd accidentally bought the scented stuff 🙂

Just started using Dropps and I am a big fan! No smell and cleans as well as Oxy. I quit using the Downey but I do like the clean scent of my stainless cleaner!

Daljit0
Level 5
Windsor, United Kingdom

Checklists are an absolute must, as lets face it we as humans always forget somthing. Sods law is that the guest will discover what we'vre missed out on. Those guests new to AirBNB feel compelled to point out faults as if they're doing the host a favour ! Yeah Really...dust on Kitchen Island Glass Lanterns !?!

The moral of the sory is detail everything on a list even as mundane as vaccumming under a bed.

I use to create paper checklists for cleaners, housekeeping etc but it all got too much to manage. As an IT Consultant Extradonaire come Super Host I've developed a "FREE" CheckLIst software for the AirBNB Community that automatically creates Checklists for each and every booking (ow Yeah !) and even allows you to assign things to different people. All you have to do is setup your property and rooms. Then create a check which you can assign to a room or multiple rooms....thats it. Just doing the final testing and should be released shortly. I'll keep you posted.

Is this somewhere I can find it? Sounds great!

Rachel367
Level 6
Espoo, Finland

My cleaning time differs between 1.5-3 hours. This is due to the lenght of the stay of the guest. Guests who only stay one night usually do not use the kitchen to much and 1 person is less work than 2 persons.

I do have a routine starting in the bath room, then kitchen and last bed room ending it in the entrance.

When guests come with dogs cleaning always takes longer, due to smells and dog hair and sometimes paw traces on the floor but I love to host them.

I have a welcome board, which is personalized. I place it in the beginning of the drive way, if the guests are coming at night or on the apartment door. This makes the guest feel sure that they are at the right place.