What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Checklist.jpg

Hello everyone,

When you're preparing for your guests there's lots to think about. From ensuring you've cleaned every nook and cranny to checking there's enough toilet roll, it's easy to forget things! If you're anything like me you like keeping on top of things with a list.  

Do you have a checklist you follow when preparing for your next guests? If so what's on it?

It will be great to compare lists!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

158 Replies 158

@Kate576   Good list,  I have much the same and get the guest room and bathroom done in a bit less time, but don't have any minibar or welcome book. Same routine every time, except that occasionally I unclip the curtains and throw them in the wash, as well as the throw rug, and the floor is tiled, so I wash that, actually on my hands and knees with a big sponge so I can get in all the corners and along the baseboard, but it's a small room, so doesn't take too long.

But I would never use any kind of scented spray on the bed- personally I can't stand the smell of lavendar, and I'd be one of those demanding guests who asked for you to please give me fresh, unscented sheets 🙂 Just because we like the smell of something, doesn't mean everyone does.

Hi Sarah...as far as scents are concerned, my space upstairs is small enough to use a diffuser mist with water and 3 drops of essential oil in the scent of your choice. About an hour of that and the smell of the previous guest is gone. 

Thank you for this tip. I had a guest that cooked rice in his own rice cooker. The first house rule is no eating in the room and also showed him that I have an individual size rice cooker and offered the large dining area.

The plus side to his stay was that he left both the room and bathroom clean and the down side is there is an odor that I am trying to get rid of and it’s not underarm scent because I make available complimentary deodorant spray. I try to setup guests for success.

i will definitely try your diffuser tip for one hour and thanks!

Nellie

I use Nilodor spray (concentrated deodoriser for neutralising smells)  from the chemist if I sense any smell and one puff near the roof in the center of each room is enough. If you smell it you have used too much. I also use a  vanilla scent diffuser in the bathroom. 

I agree.  You never know if someone has allergies to certain scents.  I've found the best "air freshner" to be white vinegar in a bowl.  Although the smell of vinegar remains for a short time, it does go away.  It's inexpensive and REALLY gets rid of all smells.  I had guests who fried fish!  I put the bowl out (or you can waft it around on a paper towel) and voila!  Smell is gone!

Thanks for the helpful tip!

Wow! I love that!

Thank you for the great tip!

Gina1
Level 2
Loughton, United Kingdom

THis is excellent - I'm asthmatic and only have one lung functioning - I feel like I'm dying when I hit perfumes / air fresheners / chlorine - I use vinegar for cleaning but didn't know about wafting it around to get rid of smells.  I'll carry some with me when I'm going away (for hosts who insist on spraying fresheners) and I'll use white vinegar more myself when I'm hosting.  THanks for the tip

I also heard putting/hiding coffee grounds in small containers helps absorb bad orders. 

I've had a guest ask for her sheets and towels to be pre washed in allergy free laundy detergent because she is allergic to regular laundry detergent and softners. I was happy to oblige. I don't use any scented products in my guestroom. Many people have sensitivities. 

The vinegar is a great tip, thankyou. I had guests that did a lot of asian cooking ( the whole house is available) and every time I opened the house up again the smell was very strong. Scented candles only had a short term effect of disguising the smell. Luckily I had a few days before the next guests were due but I would have been really stuck if it was the day after.

Great tip to use vinegar to get rid of odors. I ilked the scented heated containers, but I will be careful in using them in the future to avoid offending my guests.

Thank you! These are excellent tips for the new kids on the block.

I didn't know that trick!!! We have carpets all around the house. It's an open layout and guest tend to fry stuff from time to time and this is the reason why I'm hesitant to make back to back bookings.Thanks Jeannette!

I put eucalyptus and water spray on pillows when they are ironed. Smells great, clears blocked nose while you sleep ...😃

Jeannette, how long do you leave the bowl of vinegar in the room for it to do it's magic?

Ann592
Level 1
New Hampshire, United States

I agree about the scented sheets.  I am fragrance sensitive and have to ask all my guests to refrain from using any unnecessary scented items.  They give me headaches and cause my throat to tighten (which is not good for someone who sings).