What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Checklist.jpg

Hello everyone,

When you're preparing for your guests there's lots to think about. From ensuring you've cleaned every nook and cranny to checking there's enough toilet roll, it's easy to forget things! If you're anything like me you like keeping on top of things with a list.  

Do you have a checklist you follow when preparing for your next guests? If so what's on it?

It will be great to compare lists!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

158 Replies 158

Kate,

I am a super host and have been from the beginning.  I love hosting also but I must admit sometimes I feel like an underpaid chamber maid.  You state that it takes you two hours to tidy up between guests.  So, how much do you think you make an hour?

Mona

Welcome board. What is this?

not sure about the board , but i have a welcome sheet (used to have a book with info on the house, rules, hand-drawn maps for walking to town etc.) then the book went missing while i was taking a break from Airbnb guests 😜

How else would you convey the needed information, ie. wifi password etc?

I created a folder with a guide to help the guest navigate around the room with complementary Wi-Fi password and how to sign on I also listed my house rules and leave keys for them to get in and out of that house I have had great success with this and it’s working for me I leave a welcome card and a piece of candy on the bed and they seem to like that personal touch.

I do the same routine each time when it comes to preparing the room for the next guest.  So by the time I vacuum, I am walking out of room. I spray with free breeze to just freshen the air in case the last guest left a perfume odor.

A binder is a great idea! 

I have a binder for 2 of my rentals, but not for other 2. 

I notice people don’t read all the instructions on the listing, so having a binder with all the info it’s great.

I still have guests that don’t read it, though lol 

but at least we can say check the binder etc 

We email our guests a "pdf" of "cabin instructions" before they arrive and then when they confirm receipt we text them our "code".  There is a notebook with a set directions and a journal for writing in.  I give our "inspector" a check list that she sends to me via text and we require our guests to leave our cabin clean and rentable.  Saves on "cleaning fees" and guests know ahead what is required of them.

I have a "lap tray" that is painted with chalkboard paint.  It sits on the counter at the entry point.  I leave the door key there and a welcome message for the guest.  I have a 3 ring binder on the other counter, with wi fi, TV and other instructions and lot's of local info, maps, trails, etc and including dog friendly shops and restaurants.  The guests love the info.

A chalkboard or cork board with a note welcoming your guests

I take a white rag and whip all surfaces and floors

I sit on the toilet and look around and make I've cleaned properly

I just focus On Cleaning 

I also coordinate all soaps and shampoos with the same color or flavor 

I also leave paper towels and cleaning supplies for guest in case they want to clean as they stay

Jamie,

I don't use a list right now but I plan to.  

I would check supplies such as:

salt and pepper

cooking oil

dish soap

hand soap

bath soap

toilet paper

empty trash

check light bulbs

microwave check

plus???

Mona MIchaels

Super Host in Hanford, CA

And BATTERIES! I have a battery lock and batteries for 4 remotes! I actually leave batteries in the cottage with instructions if they fail. I try to remember but you know, life! Also my electronic gate battery! I now replace the remote control 9 volt every 6 months. I have to replace the main big battery every 3.5 years.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Lizzie  Number one on the list is prayers, lots of them lol especially when the guest list of 8 includes only 19-23 year olds or 7 children under the age of 6, 1 teenager and 4 adults... and I'll add some knocking on wood also into the mix for good measure and rubbing my lucky rabbits foot ;D 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hehe @Letti0. I hope it all works for you. I am one of those people that will walk over two drains, but never three... just in case! 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hahahaha! That’s so funny because in my gratitude journal i pray thanking for great guests!! 

The life of a host - always exciting lol

i will add prayers to the cleaning routine, too! 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie Apart from all the obvious things like clean bedding, towels, etc, I make sure that I have fresh flowers in the bedroom and a small bowl of Cadbury's Roses chocolates (I buy these on discount in a big tub).  Also, as I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago, I make sure I have enough spare light bulbs for the bedside reading lights, desk lamp etc.  

I also provide lots of leaflets about London and local attractions - Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, West End shows etc, which are often for specific time periods, so once a month I go through them and chuck out any that have expired.