What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Checklist.jpg

Hello everyone,

When you're preparing for your guests there's lots to think about. From ensuring you've cleaned every nook and cranny to checking there's enough toilet roll, it's easy to forget things! If you're anything like me you like keeping on top of things with a list.  

Do you have a checklist you follow when preparing for your next guests? If so what's on it?

It will be great to compare lists!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

158 Replies 158

This sounds like a great topic for a thread.

Yes, and the time is directly related to the condition and length of stay. That being said, Im a perfectionist and I also want the energy to be as inviting and clean as the physical plant...

a-  have several sets of bedding and towels so I can just clear and re-set if needed without waiting for laundry.

b- have substituted fresh flowers for well chosen live plants

c- the order in which I do things is important to conserve time/effort

d- I keep cleaning supplies close by where I need to use them (ex: under sink in bath and kitchen rather than in 1 spot.)  It's also more user friendly for guests.

e- most important is the timing.  Noon is my checkout time, so I have 3.5 hours to flip back to back bookings.  I'm on site, so I begin as soon as they leave so I don't have to rush.

f- I state a 2-night minimum with case-by-case exceptions as an act of self-care and conservation of resources and operations costs.

@Lizzie

Ah, balance...Yes, I do reward myself : )

I still enjoy this and feel awesome when everything's perfect.  One of my favorite things to do when I finish early (preferably the day before next check in) is pretend I'm a guest and sit on the couch or the deck with a glass of something cool and watch a little TV or the sunset.  It also helps me catch little changes I'd make if I were my guest.  In fact, I had a rare 3-days in a row unbooked and actually stayed 2 full days as if I were a guest and got to feel what it was like (to be pampered by me), and it offered the added gifts of noticing a few things I adjusted to save myself time, add comfort/ambience, and cut costs.

Here's an interesting question for the community: How many hosts have actually played being a guest and stayed in thier own Air BnB's?

Shortening the routine... It depends on the condition it's left in, but so far, most have been respectful guests.  One aspect I'm eternally grateful for is installing berber rugs everywhere except the kitchen and bath with earth tone flecks.  They're attractive, simple, match everything, and a god send at camoflaging sand and the odd pine needles that come in on people's shoes, so, if I'm pressed for time all I have to do is damp mop the smooth floors and shake out the throw rugs inside the entries and everything looks perfect. 

Kitchen- I planned granite-look countertops to avoid red wine and coffee stains...and learned the hard way about providing cutting boards...so now I put them ON the counter in plain sight with a shiny stainless paring knife (rather than in the drawer) and added that detail to my house rules/kitchen signs as cause for added countertop repair/replace fees if they don't use them (Ikea has replacements for $2, so they're much less expensive to replace).

Bath-  I have one set of bath/hand towels arranged on the towel racks, and a backup set and washcloths on the shelf--I found most people don't use washcloths and the towels on the shelf next to them are rarely touched, saving laundry and re-set time.  Soap and shampoo/conditioner are always in pump dispensers-much neater and easy to refill, eliminating more plastic.

Bedroom-  have 3 sets of bedding and 2 kinds of sleeping pillows for different tastes (in addition to matching throws and shams for the spread, which are clearly NOT meant to be used) one fluffy/feather set and one thinner/firmer alternative, but I do NOT put both on the bed...the second is kept on a nearby shelf with the extra blankets.  It offers an added comfort within close reach, but they're rarely used, so keeping them seperate also saves a ton of laundry and wear and tear.

Dishes-  My place fits 3 people and I offer full kitchen with amenities, but keeping the serving ware to 4 of everything seems to prevent dirty dish buildup and better dishwashing compliance than the set of 8 that I had there in the beginning.

Coffee-  I know everyone's using them, but I can't in good conscience deal with waste and expense of the single serving units, so I had a drip coffee maker and a french press, and found most folks used the press and those who did use the drip always left the grounds in or did not clean it up fully or clogged the drain with them.  So, I removed the drip machine and left the press, and have had no complaints or clogged drains.

Pets-  I love them and tried allowing dogs, and it added a lot of cleaning time onto my routine, plus scratched floors and outside cleanup regarless that the owners said they would do it...so I ended that in favor of maintaining a safe haven for couples getaways and the highly sensitive.  With so many other local hosts advertising "pets welcome" (and the complication of deposits and hefty added fees up front) I've only had 2 potential guests ask to override my house rules--and stood my ground. 

I also increased my (previously non-existent) cleaning fee to what I would be earning in my regular job, with no complaints.  My booking rate has actually increased after both changes and I can much better manage my turnover time and energy.

I love being a host and everything I offer is because I enjoyed it during my own travels, and my guests appreciate the special touches, so focusing on what makes my place, my place, has really boosted my happiness quotient... and my bookings : )

MaryElizabeth1
Level 2
Hendersonville, TN

My Check List

Spray Lysol on all remotes and handheld hand touched surfaces.

Update lock codes.

Change Welcome sign - my direct cell included.

Bleach all bedding, including mattress cover, pillow shams, and comforter.

Bleach all towels.

Disinfect the bathroom fixtures.

Check all soap dispensers, and related items (shampoo, conditioner, etc) and refill/restock as needed.

Disinfect kitchen fixtures and counter and table tops.

Wash and put away all dishes.

Check common areas to make sure all games, etc. are put back where they go.

Dust, vacuum, and mop all flooring, including under beds, and under furniture.

Take out all trash bags, and reallign garbage bag liners.

Restock bottled water, and available snacks.

Spray Fabreeze when done.

Write Guest Review.

...and yes, I have stayed in my guest area and played the role of a guest, to ensure my Guests are comfortable.  I can say with conviction, my home is cleaner than most of the HIlton Honors I have stayed in for work travel.

Faith54
Level 2
Roodepoort, South Africa

We usually strip everything even cushion covers and throws after each guest and wash everything. 

Then a superclean of the bathroom ensuring that the shower is highly sterilized 

next kitchen lounge and dining room with a super clean. 

I’m pedantic about clean light switches, skirtings,  light switches and tops of doors and door handles. It’s the type of thing I check if I stay. 

We Straighten everything in the drawers and kitchen cupboards ensuring everything is clean and tidy. 

Once this is done and beds remade I do a once over. 

Then I put wine and milk in the fridge and a few snacks and fruit for the guests. 

I spray the house with a room spray to ensure it smells nice and then leave windows open to make sure it’s not strong. 

I have a book with info and I put a welcome letter on there addressed to the guest by name. 

Maxine58
Level 1
Nottingham, United Kingdom

It's a given my home is clean and tidy ready for guest. 

I have been thinking for some time how I can make my guests feel more welcome, so this thread is useful for me and and has got be thinking! 

So I'm going to implement acouple of  new low cost ideas to welcome my guests in 2019

1. Bowl of sweeties in room
  2. Lightbox on desk stating "welcome" "their name"
  3. personalised welcome sign on the door handle "Welcome to Maxi's Home"
  4. Guest directory - a book with bus tables, and details of local amenties and house rules

I'm really looking forward to implementing these little touches..it's the little things that count xx

Jane875
Level 1
Newport, United Kingdom

Each guest is staying for different reasons. I make sure the room is clean and fresh, with tea, coffee, sugar etc. Kettle works and also other electrical. WiFi clearly seen. I often have a locum Dr stay and all he wants is a clean shower and comfortable bed with good bedding after a 24 hour shift, and quiet. I try to ensure have information as required, ie maps, bus timetable and local attractions. However I do not want to saturate the room with unwanted info. But have it on hand when required. No smellies for reasons already stated. 

Vicki147
Level 1
Saint Catharines, Canada

Fresh sheets,fresh towels, water & sof drinks in fridge, turn on lamps in case they arrive late, bathroom cleaned and well stocked with  toilet paper, soaps,shampoos,moisturizers, make up remover pads, hair dryer. Send a welcome note to let guests know that you expect them.

I have a laminated A4 page in my cleaning caddy that describes what has to be done, what materials I use, where to find them to turn the cottage around and in what order.  This comes from many months of forgetting to do this or that and having to come back to it.  It also means that if I get 'hit by a bus'  or have to leave the care and maintenance to someone else in an emergency they are not reinventing the wheel or missing little special things that make the difference.

Chocolates by the bed.  Home-made biscuits,fruit and roses on the table.  Welcome blackboard shingle on the door. Sounds obsessive but it does make things routine and second nature and is reassuring to know that I won't have to block out recovery dates thanks to the 'bus'!!! 

Nancy628
Level 2
Albany, NY

I ALWAYS wash my guests’ sheets in scent-free detergent and fabric softener. I thoroughly vacuum and dust the room, and replenish my “goody basket” of water, wine, and snacks for my guests. I clean and tidy my guest bathrooms, and wipe down all surfaces in the bathrooms, including mopping the floor. I vacuum the stairs to the second floor, and any space a guest might use or go through. The kitchen gets a mopping and tidying as well. Laminating or framing the wi-fi password is a great idea; I also update the  three-page guide to our historic house, the neighborhood  and area restaurants. 

Debra245
Level 2
Lancaster, KY

The lint roller is a must.  Even after I wash the sheets and replace on the bed I smooth with a lint roller. Hair is gross and can fall on your sheets while making the bed (my hair is long) or be picked up in the dryer. I also make sure every pillow case is ironed and completely wrinkle free.  And I, too, spray the sheets with a light scent - nothing heavy - almost like a dryer sheet lingered.  Fresh flowers - even if it's just one hydranga in a small, short vase is appreciated.  The guest book open for them to sign is a must also.  The incoming guests love to read the reviews and I can pull legitimate comments and post on my web site from guests.  I recently added a firepit - guests love sitting around it and burn the kindling I leave for them.

I am a card maker so I make a welcome card for each new guest arriving. It has instructions inside to read my information folder. Letting them know about our neighbourhood wildlife that visit the backyard etc.

Chris158
Level 3
Robina, Australia

I co host a number of locations in addition to a private room in my own home and a common trend I'm findinding that tends to reflect the 'instant gratification' syndrome of today is the tendency for new guests to not fully read  and understand the information supplied. Firstly the listing itself and secondly the pre arrival information we send just prior to check in. The fact that each Airbnb and its check in procedure is  unique is lost on many first timers. One private room location  I co host is in a boutique hotel and while there is a reluctant acceptance by hotel management to the fact that a number of  individually owned apartments are available on Airbnb, our relationship is not enhanced when new guests blithly walk up to hotel reception and try to check in - having completely ignored our pre arrival check in instructions not to do so. We really can do without the aggravation - so now I insist that incoming guests particularly first timers, confirm the receipt of the  pre arrival and understand  specifically, the check in details which I email to them. This is explained  as  "to ensure maximum enjoyment and satisfaction during your stay with us".

I send this "Guest Information, Directions & Check In Details" as a double sided A4 pdf.  I also provide a printed copy in their room and make a point of asking again on arrival, have they read the Guest Information which contains security gate codes that change monthly , wi fi , travel info etc..? It's not foolproof naturally, but it does go a long way to providing first timers with how to get the best value out of an Airbnb experience , if they slow down and take the time to read it.

Lisa1634
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

Hi

My welcome note always includes where to go for best coffee.

I agree with the comments re scents - keep it simple.

I use mostly biodegradable, cruelty free products in bathroom and kitchen and this has been commented on by guests as a plus. 

I have a big yard and garden (it's a pet friendly house), so I make sure the lawns are neat and inviting.

Put chairs out in nice places - under trees, on balconies, etc, and make sure they're spider free!

I put a teddy bear on the single beds when I know the guests have children.

Clean tea towels and sharp knives are a plus!

Lisa

Julia64
Level 2
Blackheath, Australia

Hi

Yes I have created a list/guide to make sure I have prepared the space for my next guests so that it is the same every time.  I also have printed this for the rare time I am unable to do this and need to call a friend to help out. 

Now that I have been hosting for about two years it’s pretty much routine on what I do. But I like to run through my list to make sure I haven’t missed any or I’ve added something. I like to make sure that each guest has the same experience when the arrive. I also gave items I provide that I don’t mention on my listing. My guests love these. 

I also wash all linen in an alergy free detergent- this is important to me. 

Judi29
Level 2
Machans Beach, Australia

I have a welcome board but also leave a letter sealed in an envelope with details of where the guests are, their pin for the lockbox , phone numbers etc, but a general welcome. There is

@Lizzie wrote:

Checklist.jpg

Hello everyone,

When you're preparing for your guests there's lots to think about. From ensuring you've cleaned every nook and cranny to checking there's enough toilet roll, it's easy to forget things! If you're anything like me you like keeping on top of things with a list.  

Do you have a checklist you follow when preparing for your next guests? If so what's on it?

It will be great to compare lists!

Thanks,

Lizzie

also a folder with information on the area, restaurant suggestions with menus and general information about all appliances and the pool and beach. The snacks, drinks and fruit plate are all locally sourced products which is important to promote our area. The guests seem very happy with it all.