What’s the craziest thing a guest has left behind at your listing?

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

What’s the craziest thing a guest has left behind at your listing?

I was cleaning the Hacienda the other week after a check out and I noticed a couple of items were left behind. Nothing strange, a single sock and five beers from a six pack(score). I’ve only been hosting for a short time, since April 2017. My very first guest left a small boy’s dress shirt and I mailed it back to the owner right away. No ‘thank you’ from the guest or anything. Now any forgotten items are put in the lost and found box in the garage and become my ‘secret Santa’ gifts at the end of the year. The smiles from coworkers is energetic when they open a ‘secret  and it’s a random jawbone charger or a pair of mismatched socks. 

This brings me to the strangest item left behind at my listing so far, the guest left a sealed brand new boxed enema. I remember the guest asking for extra toilet paper but obviously even with my creative mind and super human power to detect when people are full of crap, I completely missed this one. They didn’t leave any mess or anything, just a new boxed enema. So many questions are going through my mind, why on vacation would you use an enema? Did they think I need an enema? Should I tell them they forget it behind(see what I did there?), do they think I don’t ‘go’? Do I appear to be full of crap? Well, it’s now in the lost and found box, the only question is ‘who wants a booty cleaner for ‘secret santa’? 

15 Replies 15
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

I found several fluffy dolls ("animals") where (adult !) people probably sleep with: a pig, a strange puppet (hand made by grandma ?), a cat and a bear. They are allways found behind or under the bed. The pig is still here (waiting to be delivered at a charity), the other items are back at their owner.

Best regards, Emiel

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Rene-and-Zac0 Don’t really know what to say about the enema but you would be surprised how sluggish and slow some peoples bowel habits are especially after long haul. (nursey hat)
When putting back a book on the shelf that somebody had left out I saw that there was a $20 note sticking out from it and immediately texted my guest but they told me it was a gift and to enjoy it. That was the nicest surprise
I have a box of clothing which I am holding on to but will take to a charity shop at the end of the year. Nobody has ever requested anything back as of yet. ;

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

One guest forget his expensive watch my Dad contacted him he in retune came back for it 

DiAnna14
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Just like Rea said, people's bowels get funky when traveling, so I wouldn't read too much into the enema.  🙂  

My strangest thing was a drawer full of vibrators, sex toys and condoms.  The guest (a single female) had texted me after checkout that she was so embarrased to have left personal items.  Well - the next guest had already checked in, so I gave the new guest a heads up that if they find something - it's from the guest before.  Little did I know...  From the amount of condoms, it looks like this lady was entertaining clients at my condo - crazy stuff!!!  

Ma0
Level 7
Los Angeles, CA

a box of new adult dippers under the bathroom sink  It apparently was there for a long time

and i just could guess who was the guest those dippers were belong to. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A **bleep** ring and a gimp mask. 
Despite a carefully worded email to the guest, I wasn't able to elicit a response. 
I'm not sure the charity shop would have accepted them either. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Sunglasses, rings, necklaces, fishing rods, toys, laptops, tablets, Glo-Pros, phones, etc etc. We usually return such things via the next guest that came from the same country, and they mail it back to the owner via UPS; has worked every time. 

Strangest? Mask and whip. No, we never said a word on those nor send them back. Imagine.

@Rene-and-Zac0

Oh my~ people really do leave the strangest things!

I've only had really nice surprises - nothing left in error, rather one of my guests bought too much stuff and it would not all go into her luggage so she left a bunch of snacks and ramyeon with a note for us that either  we should enjoy them or leave them for the next guest - whatever we preferred. Our first guest left a 2 new bars of soap (that she had apparently brought with her from home) and extra hangers and a door hook 🙂

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jessica-and-Henry0 We hosted a couple From Amsterdam last week and they left us a tin of cinnamon cookies, on purpose. They are Superhost and have like 10 listings and 250 solid reviews. I gotta admit, I was a little on edge about meeting their expectations. Shout out to Eva and Kobe for the cookies and the 5 star review! 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

I get men's underwear all the time... not sure why, but it's always the guys who seem to lose them!

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

The craziest thing a guest has left, from hosting 1300 trips, was the guests themselves. I offered a late checkout if the apartment was not rebooked - leave your bags, packed, in the apartment. We will clean and you can pick them up later. The guests stayed 6 days.On the last day, I receive a booking for the next. I message the guest that they must be back before 2pm to get their bags and drop keys. I then phone them and phone airbnb when I get no reply. The guests left their bags unpacked and chained to the furniture. It made cleaning difficult. At 4 pm they returned, accused us of stealing and refused to leave  because they said they had the right to be there. They refused to go. 

@Hugh0 how did you get them out/resolve the situation?

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

I don’t know... what’s the politically correct term for dildo packaging? 

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

*. *. *. *.  

Some recent guests from China left me 3/4 of a bottle of McAllens single malt scotch.   Good guests with good taste.   Retails for 60 buckaroos.